Epson 810 printer

Old March 31st 08, 03:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Vanini

Default Epson 810 printer

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 810 printer that was bought for and used on an
ME windows system.

I now have Windows XP on my computer but the printer CD only gives me the
choice of Win9x, ME, or WIN2000.

I have searched the Internet but can't find an Epson up-date driver. Does
one exist or must I throw away my printer?

I've tried running the printer with my XP system and everything seems fine
except, it won't load the paper. It makes all sorts of loud bangs and
rotating noises but won't pull the paper down - it tries but doesn't manage
it.

I don't think this has anything to do with the having the wrong driver but
I thought if I up-dated the driver I might be pleasantly surprised - and it
wouldn't do any harm.

Can anyone help with these problems, please?

John

Old March 31st 08, 05:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
CarBone

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:47:12 GMT, "John Vanini"
wrote:

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 810 printer that was bought for and used on an
ME windows system.

I now have Windows XP on my computer but the printer CD only gives me the
choice of Win9x, ME, or WIN2000.

I have searched the Internet but can't find an Epson up-date driver. Does
one exist or must I throw away my printer?

I've tried running the printer with my XP system and everything seems fine
except, it won't load the paper. It makes all sorts of loud bangs and
rotating noises but won't pull the paper down - it tries but doesn't manage
it.

I don't think this has anything to do with the having the wrong driver but
I thought if I up-dated the driver I might be pleasantly surprised - and it
wouldn't do any harm.

Can anyone help with these problems, please?

John

Try Epson Australia.

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/p...atfor m=winxp
Old April 1st 08, 01:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
tomcas

John Vanini wrote:
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 810 printer that was bought for and used on an
ME windows system.

I now have Windows XP on my computer but the printer CD only gives me the
choice of Win9x, ME, or WIN2000.

I have searched the Internet but can't find an Epson up-date driver. Does
one exist or must I throw away my printer?

I've tried running the printer with my XP system and everything seems fine
except, it won't load the paper. It makes all sorts of loud bangs and
rotating noises but won't pull the paper down - it tries but doesn't manage
it.

I don't think this has anything to do with the having the wrong driver but
I thought if I up-dated the driver I might be pleasantly surprised - and it
wouldn't do any harm.

Can anyone help with these problems, please?

John

For running that printer in XP Epson recommends file "SP810_52C.MP.exe"
You can download it here-
ftp://ftp.epson.com.au/pub/epson/Dri...810_52C.MP.exe

Old April 1st 08, 12:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

The Epson UK site (since I don't think this model is shown on the N.A.
website indicates you should use the Win 2000 driver, which is version
5.2c from 2004). The ink monitor is a separate download.

This is the url it sent me to, if it works for you as well...

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pro...KNfm4&t c=6#7

There may well be in box XP drivers that were offered by Epson within
the XP OS disks, but they may not be full featured.

However, the problem you are encountering with the paper is not related
at all to the driver.

To fix the problem follow these instructions. If you would like the
complete Epson Cleaning Manual email me at the address shown below. The
manual is free and you will not be spammed by me. I do not distribute
addresses to others.

Chances are the rubber wheels which advance the paper through the paper
transport are glazed. This happens when coated and stiff papers are used.

You can try taking a piece of uncoated student watercolor paper and
spray either Isopropyl alcohol or ammoniated window cleaner onto the
middle area making it damp but not wimp, and leaving a small border
around the edge so that part of the paper is dry. Then using the load
and eject buttons, load the paper through the printer without printing.
Do so several times, turning the paper around and upside down.

Allow the printer to dry somewhat and then run some bond paper through
several times to help dry off any residual solvents.

Try to run the quality paper through the printer so that the more
flexible curve goes through the paper rollers rather than the other
direction/grain which is stiffer. You can also slightly roll the paper
to soften its ability to curve.

If this doesn't work you may have to use cotton swabs to manual clean
the rubber advancing rollers in the paper transport system.

Art

For the complete manual: please mention which printer you are using.

And email me at:

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

Thanks,

Art

Old April 2nd 08, 12:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Vanini

Thanks to all who answered my email. Following what has been suggested, I'll
see what I can do with the driver.

The other problem is more difficult to solve though I did solve part of it.
Originally, the printer would make no attempt to pick up the paper but I
found out what the cause was. I must admit I had to smile when I found out
and I hope you do too though it makes me look a right idiot! I kept an open
box of seeds for my garden on the shelf above the printer and when I shook
the printer, it rattled. Turning it upside down to have alook inside, the
reason became obvious when several peas (yes, peas!) fell out! That's not in
the Epson manual, I bet!

Now, the printer takes the paper in okay but only so far - it then tries to
pull it through further, fails but goes ahead printing though the paper's
not there.

As a matter of interest, I've checked for other seeds but found none!

I have selected a Win2000 driver, which was suggested, but can't check to
see if it works because of the paper loading problem.

I will,however, look into all that has been suggested and try all the
cleaning methods you suggest, Art.

Thanks again to all of you.

Regards,

John

Old April 2nd 08, 11:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I'm guessing there is still something obstructing the paper path. Get a
flashlight and take a very close look at the whole paper path that
nothing is stuck, or causing the paper roller path to get jammed or blocked.

Just to make sure it is not a driver issue (very unlikely) try the
printer in test mode not connected to the computer and see what happens
if you try to print a test page as described in the manual. You
probably need to press a couple of button on the front at the same time
you turn the printer on to get it into test mode.

Art

Old April 2nd 08, 04:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Vanini

Hi Art,

Well, it's working but I'm not sure why. Using a torch was not really
possible, though I tried it, as the paper path only went in a couple of
inches and then turned up and out of view. I couldn't remove any parts of
the cover to make it possible to see further as these things are now
designed so that you can't get in to repair them yourself.

For your information, I'll tell you what I did and what happened. At first,
the paper only went in to just around this corner and then, though the
printer was, obviously and noisily, trying, wouldn't go any further. The
'Paper Empty' button (or whatever it's called), and asking to print a test
page, only pulled the paper in passed this first corner and then you could
here the printer trying to pull it further..

However, using the "print test" button, I finally got the paper to be
dragged partially through but at an angle so that only one corner of the
paper was visible - it stuck out about a quarter of an inch. I ended up with
a paper jam situation but happier that the paper was now, at least, trying
to go through.

I cleared the jam and then used thin card instead of paper, hoping this
might push any blockage out, and this went through further the first time,
then jammed, and then right through the second time without any problem -
and even printed!

I have now printed onto a sheet of plain A4 paper without any problem so, as
you said, it must have been something stuck in the paper path but I never
found it. No more peas!

Thanks for your help and I apologise for the lengthy explanation but I
thought you might be interested.

I will keep my peas in the shed in future!

Regards and thanks again,

John

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
I'm guessing there is still something obstructing the paper path. Get a
flashlight and take a very close look at the whole paper path that nothing
is stuck, or causing the paper roller path to get jammed or blocked.

snip

Old April 3rd 08, 04:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Upon hearing the full story, my first explanation may be correct, but it
may also be that I followed a bit of a red herring.

The situation you are expressing is quite typical of glazed printer
transport rollers. It is caused by slippage causing the paper to arrive
late or to get grabbed by only one of the two rollers, which causes the
printer to pull the paper in on an angle. Heavier or more rigid paper
isn't as vulnerable because thicker paper gets a better grab due to the
thickness, and it isn't as easily crushed by the margins when it gets
crooked. What probably fixed things is when you pulled the paper
through it slightly scuffed the rollers and gave them more grab.

It is possible the original problems was due to the peas in that if the
paper cannot get through, the paper transport rollers tend to slip and
get polished and glazed, and if you are using a coated paper some of
that coating transfers to the rollers making them even more slick.

If you have not done so, you may wish to make a request of my Epson
Cleaning Manual which includes information on cleaning the paper path
and the heads and other things. It's free and I don't sell anything,
nor exchange or see emails.

You can request it at:

Old April 3rd 08, 11:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Vanini

Thanks Art,

I'm sure your right as I had an HP printer many years ago and, after many
years of use, had to 'rough-up' the rollers to get them to pull the paper
through. It was a brilliant printer, producing dozens of sheets of paper
each working day, for about ten years.

It was also mainly a metal casing, which could easily be opened to repair or
clean.

As you say glazed rollers would explain the paper being pulled through at an
angle. I hadn't thought of that.

I have already pulled down a copy of the cleaning manual so thanks for that
and for your help - I'm very grateful.
The printer's working fine at the moment but I'll see about cleaning the
rollers.