Lexmark t420dn print server problem

Old February 12th 08, 10:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Metzger

Default Lexmark t420dn print server problem

Hallo all,

i've got a used Lexmark T420DN s/w Laser printer with embedded print
server . But after I assigned a IP-address to it, the embedded print
server is not accessable with internet browser anymore, and I can't
print the network config page (by pushing the "continue" button) either.
The "Ready" LED blinks but nothing happens. There is also no reaction to
the continue or cancel button. I have to turn it down everytime I tried
to print the config page. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? Thanks
a lot!

Old February 12th 08, 03:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Metzger wrote:

i've got a used Lexmark T420DN s/w Laser printer with embedded print
server . But after I assigned a IP-address to it, the embedded print
server is not accessable with internet browser anymore, and I can't
print the network config page (by pushing the "continue" button) either.
The "Ready" LED blinks but nothing happens. There is also no reaction to
the continue or cancel button. I have to turn it down everytime I tried
to print the config page. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? Thanks
a lot!

Could be that you assigned an IP address that is already in
use and the print server doesn't handle that situation well.

With the printer off, disconnect the network cable. Then turn the
printer on and see if you can print a config page.

Old February 12th 08, 03:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Metzger

Thanks for the rapid response. I've tried as you said, but the problem
remains. Occationally the "press continue" LED goes on after the first
two pages(System config pages) are printed, and after I press the
continue key, an empty network config page will be printed without
content (only the "Ethernet 10/100" title and the black frame). Any Idea
what that means?

Old February 12th 08, 04:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Metzger

Warren Block:

as I wrote the reply I forgot to turn the printer off and after some
time with the "ready" LED blinking it peeped and all the LEDs went
flashing. I suppose it indicates an error. After I double pressed the
continue key (I remeber having read this action somewhere), the first
and the last three were flashing and the others went off, double press
again and the sencond, 4. and 5. LED (Toner low, Paper jam, error) went
flashing and the others went off. What does this mean?

Old February 12th 08, 04:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Metzger wrote:

as I wrote the reply I forgot to turn the printer off and after some
time with the "ready" LED blinking it peeped and all the LEDs went
flashing. I suppose it indicates an error. After I double pressed the
continue key (I remeber having read this action somewhere), the first
and the last three were flashing and the others went off, double press
again and the sencond, 4. and 5. LED (Toner low, Paper jam, error) went
flashing and the others went off. What does this mean?

No idea. I'd check the manual and possibly try a full reset.

Old February 13th 08, 03:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Metzger

Warren Block:

Also the Reinit RVRAM didn't help. But thanks any way.

Old February 19th 08, 02:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

--
Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA- Hide quoted text -

Don't forget to assign a subnet mask and a gateway IP on the printer
as well. Your printer needs these values as well in order to be
visible on your internal network.

The subnetmask is probably 255.255.255.0 (check what it is in your LAN
settings within your router).
The gateway IP is your router's internal LAN address (i.e. not the WAN
(external) address seen by your ISP).

Make sure the printer has a static IP within the IP network range of
your router. If your router permits it, you can use DHCP if you can
assign a specific IP to be used all the time for this device.
Otherwise, use a static IP in the same network range, but not within
the DHCP assignable range.

For example:
- if your router's LAN address is 192.168.0.1
- the subnet mask is likely 255.255.255.0
- this defines a private internal LAN network with a netID of
192.168.0.0, and a range of IP addresses from 192.168.0.1 through
192.168.0.255.
- the DHCP server (which assigns IP addresses to your PCs) is
usually configured to start assigning at a specific address, for
example 192.168.0.100.
- the DHCP server is usually configured to assign a specific
number of addresses, e.g. 50
- this means the DHCP server's assignable range is 192.168.0.100 -
192.168.0.49
- for your printer, use a static IP within the internal LAN range,
but outside the DHCP assignable range, but do NOT use:
- the internal LAN netID (192.168.0.0)
- the router's LAN IP (192.168.0.1)
- the internal LAN's broadcast address (192.168.0.255)

The printer's IP cannot be permitted to change via DHCP, as the IP
address will be assigned within the print driver the first time you
successfully connect.

Cheers,
Phineas
Old April 1st 08, 02:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Metzger

@phineaspaine
Thanks for the tips. I have actually given up hope after some dozens of
times of trying to re-init the NVRAM but without any detectable effects.
Since then the printer work as a local printer with usb-connection and I
have ceased to follow the thread. So please excuse me for the lack of
response.

Today I have luckily ~o_O~ succeeded in printing out the ethernet setup
page of the printer, by mistake. This setup page has refused to come out
ever since the problem began. Today I touched the continue key by
mistake after a ducoment is finished printing, and to my exciting
surprise the setup up page slipped out just as it should.

So I am now able to show you the settings:

--Ethernet 10/100
-Standard Network Card
Speed, Duplex: unknown
Current Date & Time: 1969-12-31 19:28
End-of-Job Timeout: 90
UAA: (perhaps not so important for diagnose)
LAA: 000000000000,000000000000
Firmware, Bootcode Revision: 22.22.14, NA
Compi: bld-lib,222.214, 24-Jan-07 16:48
-Integrated Network Option Settings
Printer Type: Lexmark T420
-LexLink
Active: Yes
Nickname: as UAA
-AppleTalk
Active: Yes
Name: L(last 6 digits of UAA) Lexmark T420
Type: LaserWriter
Zone: *
Address: 0.0
-TCP/IP
Active: Yes
Enable DHCP: Yes
Enable BOOTP: Yes
Enable RARP: Yes
Adrress Source: Manual
Address: 0.0.0.0
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Hostname: LXK(last 6 digits of UAA)
WINS Status: Unregistered
WINS Server: 0.0.0.0
-NetWare
Active: Yes
Login Name: !LEX(UAA)
Mode: PSERVER
Network Number: 00000000
----------------------------------- End

The Setting which once worked:

-Standard Network Card
Speed, Duplex: 10 Mbps, Full Duplex
Current Date & Time: 2008-02-08 08:52
End-of-Job Timeout: 10
-TCP/IP
Active: Yes
Enable DHCP: Yes
Enable BOOTP: No
Enable RARP: No
Adrress Source: DHCP
Address: 169.63.0.93
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 169.63.0.1
Hostname:
WINS Status: Unregistered
WINS Server: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server: 169.63.0.1

The othe Settings are the same. What bothers me most is the IP-Address
of 0.0.0.0. It makes my computer not possible to be in the same subnet
as the print server because I can't set the ip-address of my computer to
begin with 0. The other thing is, why has the clock to go all the way
back to 40 years ago (a potential X-File)?

My luck runs out before i can print another network setting page. I have
tried to re-init the NVRam again, but just as before there was no
detectable effect. To let you know what i have done, here's how I tried
to re-init the NVRam:

- turn off the printer
- open the upper cover, press and hold the cancel button and then turn
the printer on
- the LEDs cycled and stopped at "Error"
- let go the cancel button and close the cover
- the upper four LEDs are now on. Now it should be in the Diagnostics
Menu
- go through the Menu by pressing the cancel button untill the first LED
blinks. According to the Chart it refer to the re-init NVRAM function
- press and hold continue button until the LEDs cycled
- let go the button after the cycle finished and the upper four LEDs are
on again
- Turn off the printer.

After the printer is turned on again (without connecting any cable
except the power), the network setting page doesn't want to come out
anymore. Any attempt to reach the print server came out in vain.

Have I done something wrong? I don't hope to set the printer up right
again, just want to know how and why this turns up.

Thanks.

Metzger
Old April 1st 08, 03:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
smlunatick

On Apr 1, 8:06*am, "Metzger" wrote:
@phineaspaine
Thanks for the tips. I have actually given up hope after some dozens of
times of trying to re-init the NVRAM but without any detectable effects.
Since then the printer work as a local printer with usb-connection and I
have ceased to follow the thread. So please excuse me for the lack of
response.

Today I have luckily ~o_O~ succeeded in printing out the ethernet setup
page of the printer, by mistake. This setup page has refused to come out
ever since the problem began. Today I touched the continue key by
mistake after a ducoment is finished printing, and to my exciting
surprise the setup up page slipped out just as it should.

So I am now able to show you the settings:

--Ethernet 10/100
-Standard Network Card
* * * * Status: * * * * * * * * * * * * Not Connected
[...]

* * * * Status: * * * * * * * * * * * * Connected

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------

[...]

You must turn off the "Enable" DHCP and then program (aka set) an IP
address. You can not have DHCP assigning an IP address to a device
that has an IP address. They "would" cancel each other out.

Also, you may want to check for any printer firmware updates and read
to se if any of those updates would fix your problem
Old April 1st 08, 07:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Metzger wrote:
[...]

The first one has no DHCP server, but maybe just a copying error.

What bothers me most is the IP-Address of 0.0.0.0. It makes my
computer not possible to be in the same subnet as the print server
because I can't set the ip-address of my computer to begin with 0.

In both cases "Enable DHCP" is Yes. That means the printer will be
assigned a dynamic address if it has access to the DHCP server. Given
the DHCP server address shown, there are number of things that could be
wrong.

Set "Enable DHCP" to No. Set your desired fixed IP address in
"Address". Set the DCHP server address to 0.0.0.0 if necessary. Also
consider clearing the Gateway address, which is only needed if the
printer needs to talk to a network outside of the /24. Manufacturers
sometimes use that for printers to "call home" and order supplies; it
can be a security issue.

The other thing is, why has the clock to go all the way back to 40
years ago (a potential X-File)?

Was it ever set? Possibly a clock back-up battery in the printer is
dead. The same battery might also supply power for the NVRAM, so it
could explain problems.