Dell - WTF?

Old September 22nd 07, 09:49 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
salesguy

Default Dell - WTF?

Ordered a laptop on the 9/9, with a delivery date (on or before) 21/9.

After being stuck in 'pre-production' from the 10/9, no laptop yesterday.
Called customer service and was told that the email & status system was
down, & my laptop would not be ready for another 7 days. I could call again
Monday for an update.

Checked the online status today and the delivery date has moved to
25/10!!?!?!

I will have to clear my cc bill before I get the goods - not happy.

Anyone else have this issue, and/or managed to get upgrades/discounts out of
Dell in this situation?

SalesGuy

Old September 23rd 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike

"salesguy" wrote in message
Ordered a laptop on the 9/9, with a delivery date (on or before) 21/9.

After being stuck in 'pre-production' from the 10/9, no laptop yesterday.
Called customer service and was told that the email & status system was
down, & my laptop would not be ready for another 7 days. I could call
again Monday for an update.

Checked the online status today and the delivery date has moved to
25/10!!?!?!

I will have to clear my cc bill before I get the goods - not happy.

Anyone else have this issue, and/or managed to get upgrades/discounts out
of Dell in this situation?

SalesGuy

exactly the same problem here. Loads of people are experience the same
problem with dell. The issue is the screens there is a glass shortage.
I wouldnt hold your breath for 25/10 either, mines been delayed/changed 3
times. I did get a £50 refund offered but ive cancelled the order now as i
cant wait any longer for it

Old September 23rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
BluePlanet

"/Tx2" wrote in message
T...

Loads of people are experience the same
problem with dell.

You can cite your source for this information can you?

I've seen quite a few threads about delays from Dell due to some glass
shortage. Obviously this is a tiny fraction of their sales, and I've nothing
against Dell - I'm looking to make a purchase from them myself.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Urban Legend

"/Tx2" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:38:15 +0100 Mike
from the village of
felt we might be interested in the following...

Loads of people are experience the same
problem with dell.

You can cite your source for this information can you?

google is your friend

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ents_shortage/

--
regards

Old September 24th 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
BluePlanet

"/Tx2" wrote in message

Indeed, and the article highlights that it isn't just Dell that faced
these problems.

No-one said it was... since the poster *ordered* with Dell though, that
could be why the focus is on Dell. You asked him to cite his sources, he
did, not really an 'indeed' situation. Why the weird fanboyism over Dell?
No-one's judging you that you spent a lot of money on an XPS system with
them, if anything we're deeply impressed and envious. You don't have to be
on the defensive on their behalf.

Old September 24th 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Urban Legend

"/Tx2" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:38:15 +0100 Mike

google is your friend

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ents_shortage/

Indeed, and the article highlights that it isn't just Dell that faced
these problems.

Its a world wide problem with all commodities and minerals. The year before
last it was the minerals used
in loft insulation. This Year its electronics and ores. The Asia Pacific and
China in particular are eating up more and more just look at the metal
prices - scrap cars are now worth 60 quid just for the cats alone.Next year
it will be processed foods with the price to match just look at the price of
copper pipe up about 4 quid a 3m length.

If Dell cannot supply in the timeframe that your looking at then the only
other option is to spec out a alternatives from different manufacturers and
buy one from a box shifter who has stock either locally or online..

--
regards

Old September 25th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:49:31 +0100, "salesguy"
wrote:

Ordered a laptop on the 9/9, with a delivery date (on or before) 21/9.

After being stuck in 'pre-production' from the 10/9, no laptop yesterday.
Called customer service and was told that the email & status system was
down, & my laptop would not be ready for another 7 days. I could call again
Monday for an update.

Checked the online status today and the delivery date has moved to
25/10!!?!?!

I will have to clear my cc bill before I get the goods - not happy.

Anyone else have this issue, and/or managed to get upgrades/discounts out of
Dell in this situation?

SalesGuy

I ordered a Latitude D830 late Aug only to be told the initial 7/10
days would have to be extended. I then can celled & bought an HP.

Guess what arrived last week? Told Dell they'd have to collect it.
They offered 50% off a printer (if I'd wanted a printer from Dell I
would have ordered it with the Latitude). Dell said they would
collect today (25/9). No collection.

I've been buying Dell since the 286. Not sure whether I'll buy
another. This was the last in a (recent) string of bad service
experiences.

Customer service disappeared when Irish accents disappeared at the end
of the phone lines.
--
Peter Langley

Old September 30th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike

"/Tx2" wrote in message
T...
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:13:50 +0100 BluePlanet
from the village of
felt we might be interested in the following...

No-one said it was... since the poster *ordered* with Dell though, that
could be why the focus is on Dell. You asked him to cite his sources, he
did, not really an 'indeed' situation. Why the weird fanboyism over Dell?
No-one's judging you that you spent a lot of money on an XPS system with
them, if anything we're deeply impressed and envious. You don't have to
be
on the defensive on their behalf.

I'm not on the defensive on anyone's behalf, why should I be? I
purchased Dell because i got the best deal for my money, simple.

That's not "fanboyism", it's satisfied customer, err, ism... and it's a
spanking good laptop, so i'm chuffed with it, having no problem speccing
it out in my sig. Please don't be envious, i'm still paying for it.

However, the overal tone I guaged from the post was yet another Dell
bashing, read as such regardless of whether he ordered from them or not.

There is without doubt an "indeed" about it - the OP was quick to point
out "Loads of people are experience the same problem with dell" [sic]
but no mention of other manufacturers or vendors that are also
experiencing the problem should the purchaser be looking elsewhere given
Dell have not yet fulfilled the order.

And I haven't seen him cite any sources, only your reference to a "a few
threads about delays from Dell due to some glass shortage". If he
posted, it hasn't reached my newsreader.

YMMV.

Its a well know problem. Heres a source for you:
Dell.co.uk
Phone dell business and speak to them about it.
Your clearly unformed, and didnt know about the problem until i posted it
for you. Perhaps do some research before you post again.
I buy lots of Dells I wasnt bashing them.