Powmax p-supply. Any good?

Old July 7th 03, 05:07 PM
Dennis Roark

Default Powmax p-supply. Any good?

"sdlomi" wrote in
:

I've found what seems to be an inexpensive p-supply w/good specs.
The
brand is Powmax, with the following specs:
Output:
+5v / 30A max.
-12v / 0.8A max.
-5v / 0.3A max.
+12v / 25A max.
+3.3v / 28A max.
+5vsb / 2.0A max. It's listed as a 400-watt, model LP-8800-D, and
can be purchased as cheap as ~$12.00 including s/h. Has 1-year
warranty.
Needing one for an ECS K7S5A, at 1st I was dubious, but when I
read the
specs, including meeting 2.03 & ATX 12v 1.1, I had 2nd thoughts.
Anyone with experience with it? Any ideas, pro/con will be
appreciated.
Thx, sdlomi
(I posted in ELITE ng too, didn't know which was
appropriate--sorry.)

It is way out of date and won't run AMD XP+ or Pentium IV cpu's because
they need the power on the 12 volt line. This provides almost no power
on that line (if your figures are correct) and provides the current on
the 5 volt line, which only the older cpu's use. It is a good paper
weight or replacement in an ancient system if you do not intend to move
to a modern cpu: stay away, this is why it is so cheap!

--
Dennis Roark

Starting Points:
www.home.earthlink.net/~denro
Old July 7th 03, 05:12 PM
Dennis Roark

Dennis Roark wrote in
. 21:

"sdlomi" wrote in
:

[...]

I stand corrected. I read your post too quickly and looked at the -12 V
rating, not the +12V My comments were not germane, please ignore.

Old July 8th 03, 11:50 AM
larrymoencurly

"sdlomi" wrote in message ...
I've found what seems to be an inexpensive p-supply w/good specs.
The brand is Powmax, with the following specs:
+5v / 30A max. +12v / 25A max. +3.3v / 28A max.

It's listed as a 400-watt, model LP-8800-D, and can be
purchased as cheap as ~$12.00 including s/h.

Needing one for an ECS K7S5A, at 1st I was dubious, but when I
read the specs, including meeting 2.03 & ATX 12v 1.1, I had 2nd
thoughts. Anyone with experience with it?

The ECS K7S5A and K7S5A Pro use the +5V for the CPU, so you want a
hefty +3.3v and +5V combined power capacity, but they don't need a PSU
that meets ATX 2.03 or ATX12V PSU because they get all their power
from the 20-pin connector

I have a 300W Powmax that developed a bad low voltage electrolytic
capacitor a few months ago (could have been oen of the capacitors
involved in the Taiwan faulty knock-off electrolyte scandal), but
replacing the capacitor restored operation. This brand and its
relatives, Leadman, Raidmax, and Robanton, have a reputation for being
weak but not suffering damaged when overloaded, and they're a cut
above the very worst (usually one of the Deer brands, like Allied,
Codegen, L&C, Logic, Foxconn, PowerUp, Eagle, Austin, Mercury,
US-Can).
The dual-fan versions aren't very quiet, and the second fan may be
mounted on the outside, at the front, so clearance with any 5.25"
drives may be a problem.

To get an idea of how a 300W Powmax is constructed compared to other
300W PSUs:

High voltage transistors:

Powmax: 10A
Antec SmartPower: 13A
Fortron/Sparkle: 12A
Delta: 18A

+5V output diodes:

Powmax (30A rating): 30A diode
Antec Smartpower (30A): 60A diodes
Fortron/Sparkle: can't tell
Delta: 60A diode
Old July 8th 03, 12:15 PM
larrymoencurly

Dennis Roark wrote in message .21...
"sdlomi" wrote in
:

The brand is Powmax,

+5v / 30A max.
+12v / 25A max.
+3.3v / 28A max.

It's listed as a 400-watt, model LP-8800-D,

Needing one for an ECS K7S5A, at 1st I was dubious, but
when I read the specs, including meeting 2.03 & ATX 12v 1.1,

It is way out of date and won't run AMD XP+ or Pentium IV cpu's because
they need the power on the 12 volt line.

Not in the case of the ECS K7S5A, which uses the +5V for the CPU. It
has only one power connector, the 20-pin one, which has just a single
+12V wire, which isn't good enough to furnish the 8-9A needed by some
CPUs that are powered from the +12V. Also I measured the voltages on
the CPU regulator transistors and diodes of this mobo, and the maximum
DC is only about 5V. I also have an ECS P4S5A for Pentium IV CPUs,
and it too has just the 20-pin connector and powers the CPU from the
+5V.
Old July 8th 03, 04:50 PM
sdlomi

"larrymoencurly" wrote in message
om...
"sdlomi" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to all who responded--the info was quite helpful. Helped me
realize that a weaker-rated, 300-watt, Sparkle #FSP300-60ATV just might be
better than some of the higher-rated PowMax's. This Sparkle has on the +3.3
volt rail a max. of 28 amps; and on the +5 volt rail a max. of 30 amps.
Think I'm gonna try it. Cost to me from Newegg is $33.00--just $3 more
than the estimate I'd used in figuring cost to build this new system.
Have a good week, guys, and again thanks. Hope I can help someone in
return! sdlomi

Old July 8th 03, 11:57 PM
Ed Light

"sdlomi" wrote
Think I'm gonna try it. Cost to me from Newegg is $33.00

They have an Enermax for that.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/