ASUS P2B - incompatible RAM problems

Old July 7th 03, 03:42 PM
Ian Roberts

Default ASUS P2B - incompatible RAM problems

Hi

I recently bought some new RAM to upgrade an old system but none of
the new stuff worked properly - only half the RAM on each stick was
accessible.

First supplied were double sided 256Mb, the dealer kindly swapped them
for single sided but they had the same problem!

Ive used both PC100 and PC133 64, 128, 256mb sticks on this board and
had no problems before.

Does anyone know why RAM is sometimes incompatible?? How are we
supposed to know?

Is there a list of approved brands for this board?

Thanks

Ian

Old July 8th 03, 07:51 PM
Jim H

I ran into the same problem. My problem was the new memory was 133 only. I
mistakenly thought it would run at 100. I returned it and got memory that
ran at 133 and 100. Now no problems.

jim

Old July 9th 03, 06:28 AM
Stacey

Jim H wrote:

I ran into the same problem. My problem was the new memory was 133 only.
mistakenly thought it would run at 100. I returned it and got memory that
ran at 133 and 100. Now no problems.

Sorry but that wasn't what happened. You had the density problem and most
ram rated at PC100 was the lower density type. Any ram can be downclocked
with no problems.
--

Stacey
Old July 10th 03, 01:57 AM
Jim H

Actually the package the RAM came in said "PC133 only - for PC100 use
part#part-number". Got at BestBuy. The new package from the same company
said 133 and 100. Maybe the density issue causes that?

Old July 10th 03, 04:41 AM
Stacey

Jim H wrote:

Actually the package the RAM came in said "PC133 only - for PC100 use
part#part-number". Got at BestBuy. The new package from the same
company
said 133 and 100. Maybe the density issue causes that?

Yep, there is no problem downclocking ram. What they were "dumbing down" was
the ram rated for both was low density PC133 ram that will work right on
all the older PC100 boards. Actually in some places low density PC100 ram
costs more than the newer high density PC133 ram even though it is slower.

--

Stacey