seagate barracuda hard drives

Old July 6th 03, 04:03 PM
BigJIm

Default seagate barracuda hard drives

bad sectors are not good, I would call Seagate for advice.
"Ellis Hammond" wrote in message
Hi has anyone had any bad sector problems with seagate barracuda hard
drives?. My 60GB drive has just developed them and its only a year old.

Are
they all like this?

Thanks
Ellis

Old July 6th 03, 07:03 PM
Ken

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:57:02 +0000 (UTC), "Ellis Hammond"
wrote:

Hi has anyone had any bad sector problems with seagate barracuda
hard drives?. My 60GB drive has just developed them and
its only a year old. Are they all like this?

What temperature are the drive running at?

Old July 6th 03, 08:09 PM
Ellis Hammond

Im not sure, I used to have a program which monitored the temp bt havent got
it anymore. I have 2 hardrives in my pc the seagate is my main one with
windows on it and the second is a western digital used for backing up. They
used to be right on top of each other but since the bad sector occured I
have moved it away from the other drive. Could the heat have an impact on
the drive and cause the bad sector?. Also the bad sector is 4kb.

Thanks

Old July 7th 03, 12:11 AM
Ancra

wrote:

Hi has anyone had any bad sector problems with seagate barracuda hard
drives?. My 60GB drive has just developed them and its only a year old. Are
they all like this?

I'm afraid not "all", but many drives are like that. And I'm not
talking about Seagate. It doesn't seem to matter much what brand you
use. In fact, though I'm not using any seagate myself, my impression
was that seagate barracuda maybe was one of the less troubled brands?
I have been thinking of trying one.

ancra
Old July 7th 03, 06:00 AM
Will Dormann

Ellis Hammond wrote:

Im not sure, I used to have a program which monitored the temp bt havent got
it anymore. I have 2 hardrives in my pc the seagate is my main one with
windows on it and the second is a western digital used for backing up. They
used to be right on top of each other but since the bad sector occured I
have moved it away from the other drive. Could the heat have an impact on
the drive and cause the bad sector?. Also the bad sector is 4kb.

Absolutely. Above normal temperature will always cause premature drive
failure. The Barracudas have a reputation for running warmer than most
others, so should only be used in configurations where the airflow
around the drive is adequate.

-WD

Old July 8th 03, 09:01 AM
Wouter van Oijen

"Ellis Hammond" wrote in message
Im not sure, I used to have a program which monitored the temp bt havent

got
it anymore. I have 2 hardrives in my pc the seagate is my main one with
windows on it and the second is a western digital used for backing up.

They
used to be right on top of each other but since the bad sector occured I
have moved it away from the other drive. Could the heat have an impact on
the drive and cause the bad sector?. Also the bad sector is 4kb.

Bad sectors are not good, but can occur on any harddisk. One of my IBM
harddrives had bad sectors for a long time, and a few days ago it crashed
and didn't boot anymore. The disk was less than three years old and have
been in a hot system for a long time. That may have caused the problem, but
I don't know for sure.
It's a good choice that you've moved the drives away from each other. Maybe
a harddisk cooling kit can cool the harddisks even more if that's necessary.
I also recommend that you backup your important files frequently.

Anyway, to read the drive temperature (and SMART attributes), use DTemp:
http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/
Another program that can also read mainboard and cpu temperature is
HMonitor, but I don't have an address for that program (use google). SiSoft
Sandra does also have an option to read the drive temperature, but it cannot
monitor 'real-time' (in system tray).

Old July 8th 03, 09:44 AM
Ellis Hammond

Thanks for the help thats a good program. The only problem is I wished I had
that before the bad sectors occured as it would warn me that there too hot.
Do you think it would be advisable to look around for a new hardrive because
I dont really want to boot up one day and nothing happens. I dont know if I
should risk buying another seagate barracuda because they run very hot. But
I brought the drive because of how quiet it was!. Again thanks for the help

Ellis

Old July 8th 03, 05:44 PM
Wouter van Oijen

"Ellis Hammond" wrote in message
Thanks for the help thats a good program. The only problem is I wished I

had
that before the bad sectors occured as it would warn me that there too

hot.
Yeah, I had the same problem :-)

Do you think it would be advisable to look around for a new hardrive

because
I dont really want to boot up one day and nothing happens. I dont know if

should risk buying another seagate barracuda because they run very hot.

But
I brought the drive because of how quiet it was!. Again thanks for the

help

If you can afford it, buy another harddisk and use the current (damaged)
drive as a backup-drive, or for other documents that are not too
important... You can also choose to use the Western Digital drive as system
drive, and the Seagate drive for backups, but that depends on the sizes of
the drives.

If you plan to buy a new harddisk, I recommend IBM/Hitachi. The DeskStar
120GXP and 180GXP series are very quiet, and stay much cooler than Maxtor or
Seagate (at least that are my experiences). For information about this
harddisks:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/desk/ds120gxp.htm (Deskstar 120GXP)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/desk/ds180gxp.htm (Deskstar 180GXP)

To answer the question in your other post, 37C is not a problem. IBM
specifies the maximum ambient temperature as 55C (operating) or 65C
(non-operating). If you stay below that level, no need to worry. I try to
keep my drives below 45C, and that's almost never a problem. At this moment,
they're all 32C-33C.

Wouter

Old July 8th 03, 07:11 PM
Ken

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:00:21 GMT, Will Dormann
wrote:

Im not sure, I used to have a program which monitored the temp bt havent got
it anymore. I have 2 hardrives in my pc the seagate is my main one with
windows on it and the second is a western digital used for backing up. They
used to be right on top of each other but since the bad sector occured I
have moved it away from the other drive. Could the heat have an impact on
the drive and cause the bad sector?. Also the bad sector is 4kb.

Absolutely. Above normal temperature will always cause premature drive
failure. The Barracudas have a reputation for running warmer than most
others, so should only be used in configurations where the airflow
around the drive is adequate.

Yes. My Barracudas is running warmer than my IBM deskstar.
You need to have proper air flow around the drives.
This is a simple and good working program for temperature check.
http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/download.html
Temperature in Taskbar
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/d...e/hdtemp04.png
Temperature warning
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/d...e/hdtemp07.png
Cconfiguration
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/d...e/hdtemp02.png

Old July 8th 03, 07:15 PM
Ken

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:05:58 +0000 (UTC), "Ellis Hammond"
wrote:

My barracuda is running at 37c is this to hot still?

Everything under 40C i OK, but lower is better.
My Barracuda runs at 33C with room temperature at 25C.