Athlon64??

Old July 4th 03, 04:03 AM
JK

Strontium wrote:

Read some more, Ed. You will realize just how far off that fantasy is...
Unless you have 5 grand

$5000? You could build a dual Opteron server now for much less than
half that amount. By the end of the year, you might see Athlon 64
systems without a monitor in the $1000-1200 range.

to drop on a board and memory/processor. Then, be
my guest mr. money man And, then, you will have a 5 thousand dollar
box that does EXACTLY the same as MY box. Yet it 'supports' 64bit
technology. Don't hold your breath for 64bit winblows apps..... You'll
choke.

-
Ed Light stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Athlon 64 is a desktop cpu. Opteron is the server cpu.

Opterons beat Tbreds of the same mhz.

So, we can guess that Athlon 64's will do the same.

Opteron motherboards are kind of expensive.

Athlon 64 motherboards will replace the 32 bit motherboards of today,
so should be affordable after a short period.

"Strontium" wrote in message
-
JK stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Strontium wrote:

-
Majestic stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Coming soon is the new Athlon 64
I have a few questions about it.

I am thinking of upgrading my system can converting everything
into
a 64bit system

Hardware wise...
Besides upgrading my motherboard and buying a new athlon64
do we need to buy new graphics card? sound card? or harddisk? Ram?

or we just need a driver updater for 64bit system?
do we need to find hardware which are compatible with 64bit
system?

Software wise...
Maybe i can get a copy of window xp 64...
what will happen to my data now if i migrate to a 64bit system?
will moives, mp3, document be affected?

athlon 64 can also be use in a 32bit enviroment
so what happen if i am using a 32bit software in windowxp 64?
can it work? or i have to stick to everything 64bit for window xp
64

Last question...can a 2.0ghz athlon 64 be faster than a athlonxp
2400? Quite interesting to see that AMD has nothing close to a
3.0Ghz processor.

What amazes me is that people seem to think that 64bit technology
is Mecca. It's been around, for a while, already.

It has been around in very high priced servers. Now for the first
time it will be available in affordable desktop PCs.

It's main usage being unix servers.
Why the general consumer would need it, baffles me.

Why do we need 32 bit processors? Why not use 16 bit processors
instead?
Did you enjoy using 16 bit processors? :-)

Nope, win95 sucked my ass. However, I was mainly using MAC's back
in the day, if you must know.

Yet another marketing
ploy, by the manufacturers.

LOL!

I doubt, very seriously, that you will have any
applications that will even use 64bit..

LOL! Did you say that you doubted 32 bit applications would appear
when many were still using 16 bit processors?

So, let me get this straight... You feel the the OP can benefit from
64bit technology, not knowing what ehey are even intending to do
with it? More precisely, when can you justify paying for 'server
grade' hardware? Are YOU running a server? Is OP running a server?
If not, this whole discussion about 64bit technology, is useless.
It benefits noone but the people that are logging onto THOSE
servers. Case (no pun) and point..It's really irrelevent for us
small gamers/users. If you're planning on running a big ass server,
let me know. Otherwise, 64bit ain't gonna be such a goldmine, for
you.

.regardless of whether the OS can
utilize it.

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there
at all.. And, I want to get free..."

Old July 4th 03, 06:10 AM
John

There are already 64bit (x86-64) operating systems released with 64bit
(x86-64) software for those operating systems. The price of memory
will be no different. The price of motherboards will not be that much
more (no more than any other new motherboard technology). That leaves
only the chip and I can tell you that it won't cost $4000+. Most
likely just a few hundred and that will drop down to the price of
current Athlons is a few months. 64bit is just the chip, it has
nothing to do with memory, expansion cards, or any other hardware. The
motherboard's only difference is a different pin layout on the socket.

"Strontium" wrote in message ...
Read some more, Ed. You will realize just how far off that fantasy is...
Unless you have 5 grand to drop on a board and memory/processor. Then, be

Old July 4th 03, 06:10 AM
John

do we need to buy new graphics card? sound card? or harddisk? Ram?
No

do we need to find hardware which are compatible with 64bit system?

No

Maybe i can get a copy of window xp 64...

Yes but not yet

what will happen to my data now if i migrate to a 64bit system?

Nothing

will moives, mp3, document be affected?

No

so what happen if i am using a 32bit software in windowxp 64?

Nothing

or i have to stick to everything 64bit for window xp 64

No

Last question...can a 2.0ghz athlon 64 be faster than a athlonxp 2400?

Definitely

Quite interesting to see that AMD has nothing close to a 3.0Ghz processor.

AMD uses a shorter pipeline which means that it has a lower clock
speed but does more on each clock so MHz is not a good comparison. The
Athlon64s will easily compete with top P4s.
Old July 4th 03, 06:39 AM
Strontium

You're telling me something I don't know? I'm talking about usefulness.
It's useless for the average consumer. Run a server, then get back to me
k?

-
John stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

There are already 64bit (x86-64) operating systems released with 64bit
(x86-64) software for those operating systems. The price of memory
will be no different. The price of motherboards will not be that much
more (no more than any other new motherboard technology). That leaves
only the chip and I can tell you that it won't cost $4000+. Most
likely just a few hundred and that will drop down to the price of
current Athlons is a few months. 64bit is just the chip, it has
nothing to do with memory, expansion cards, or any other hardware. The
motherboard's only difference is a different pin layout on the socket.

You forgot the OS, BTW...

Old July 4th 03, 06:40 AM
Strontium

-
John stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

do we need to buy new graphics card? sound card? or harddisk? Ram?

No

do we need to find hardware which are compatible with 64bit system?

No

Maybe i can get a copy of window xp 64...

Yes but not yet

what will happen to my data now if i migrate to a 64bit system?

Nothing

will moives, mp3, document be affected?

No

so what happen if i am using a 32bit software in windowxp 64?

Nothing

or i have to stick to everything 64bit for window xp 64

No

Last question...can a 2.0ghz athlon 64 be faster than a athlonxp
2400? Definitely

Quite interesting to see that AMD has nothing close to a 3.0Ghz
processor.

AMD uses a shorter pipeline which means that it has a lower clock
speed but does more on each clock so MHz is not a good comparison. The
Athlon64s will easily compete with top P4s.

That's a sad state, of affairs, when AMD has to resort to 64bit to
'compete'. Sad, sad, sad. I said 'bye bye', to AMD. Bye Bye.

Old July 4th 03, 06:43 AM
Strontium

-

Stacey wrote:

JK wrote:

Strontium wrote:

What amazes me is that people seem to think that 64bit technology
is Mecca. It's been around, for a while, already.

It has been around in very high priced servers. Now for the first
time it will be available in affordable desktop PCs.

With no usable software on the horizon..

The Athlon 64 runs 32 bit software rapidly, and probably even more
rapidly when using a 64 bit operating system. 64 bit software
is in development. Expect a 64 bit version of Windows for the
Athlon 64 and Opteron soon. 64 bit applications might start
appearing soon.

Poor AMD. Has to resort to 64bit technology to even 'touch' the P4 HT.
Sad, sad, sad.

It's main usage being unix servers.
Why the general consumer would need it, baffles me.

Why do we need 32 bit processors? Why not use 16 bit processors
instead?

Because all apps now are 32 bit. It took years for apps to migrate
from 16 to 32 bit.

It might take a bit of time for all major software applications to be
released in 64 bit, however some may start appearing soon.
That is what is nice about Athlon 64 and Opteron. 64 bit
applications can run next to 32 bit applications.

I doubt, very seriously, that you will have any
applications that will even use 64bit..

LOL! Did you say that you doubted 32 bit applications would appear
when many were still using 16 bit processors?

But why pay a SUPER premium for a platform that has no software yet?
I'd give it a year or so and see where things are at and the prices
to come down.

Super premium? I doubt it. The Opteron 140 looks like it is being
priced
at under $300 in large quantities. Some of the Athlon 64s will
probably
be priced much less.

--

Stacey

Old July 4th 03, 06:44 AM
Strontium

Hmmm, somehow your sarcasm doesn't seem as funny as you intended it, to
be.

-

"Strontium" wrote in message
Read some more, Ed. You will realize just how far off that fantasy
is... Unless you have 5 grand to drop on a board and
memory/processor. Then, be my guest mr. money man And, then,
you will have a 5 thousand dollar box that does EXACTLY the same as
MY box. Yet it 'supports' 64bit technology. Don't hold your
breath for 64bit winblows apps..... You'll choke.

Oh, you homebuilt a mac for the pc group. Nice going.

Old July 4th 03, 06:45 AM
Strontium

You lost me, on that one dude.
Where are you from, again? Wisconsin?

-
Ed Light stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

"Strontium" wrote
64bit technology is
not NEW. It's been running our servers, for quite a while. I think
OP2, does not realize that.

You, from out there in the big big world!

Old July 4th 03, 11:25 AM
Majestic

(John) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Enlightenment..
thanks for ans my questions.

Looking at AMD's roadmap, it looks like athlon 64 is here to stay on
desktop
(Well unless AMD goes bankrupt, Then maybe Apple will take over)
Of course 64bit system were avaliable in servers for quite some time
but
i dont think we all own a server at home!
It is a shift another shift in paradigm.
As intel move to the end of the 'pentium 4' (after 3.2ghz) roadmap, a
new pentium was anticipated in Q4 next yr (from what i read from
inquirer)
Maybe intel might enable 64bit on their pentium 5!
Hey wait a minute, Intel would prefer a pubilcity stun to knock out
AMD...
so maybe they will better AMD by pushing out a 128bit processor!!
@ @
~
Then it would be the end of
32bit (Well not really the end, some people will still be using it.)

Like it or not... AMD is here to stay cos it is just plain cheaper
than intel.
... Some people just like to support the underdog
... the competetion keeps intel in check (so that they
wouldnt sell a pentium 4 1.8ghz for 800 dollars.)