So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, what more for gaming?

Old July 1st 03, 09:56 AM
Fred

Default So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, what more for gaming?

So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, and a nice
soundblaster PCI something-or-rather.

What more can I do that will allow me to set everything to highest for
games (ie Medal of Honor)? Get a XEON?
Old July 1st 03, 12:46 PM
Strontium

Have you considered the importance of the video card, in this scenario?

-

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

Old July 2nd 03, 05:55 AM
JK

He said that he has a ti4600 card, which is quite good. Of course a
faster processor and dual ddr motherboard would help. I suggest
an Athlon XP2600+ 333 and an nForce2 motherboard. One can
get the pair for around $200. An nForce2 motherboard works best
with two matching sticks of PC2700(or faster) ddr ram.

Old July 2nd 03, 07:55 AM
Strontium

I had cancelled this post, after realizing that. Thanks for reposting it.

-
JK stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

-Snip-

Old July 3rd 03, 09:22 PM
DVR

Thanks for the response. Would going with the Athlon only be for $$$
reasons? In my research I've seen lots of conclusions showing P4
outperforming Athlon 2600+. One example is on Tom's hardware where the 2600+
was benchmarked against P4 2.8 at
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...ange_in_power:

"...the Athlon XP 2600+ could outperform the Intel P4/2533 in numerous
benchmark tests. Now, Intel sends its P4/2800 into the fray. In this
situation, the AMD processor takes the lead in only one of the benchmark
disciplines, namely, 3D rendering under Cinema 4D XL R7. In all other
categories with different applications, the P4 tops the Athlon XP."

Additionally, I already have two sticks of DDR 266 and would hate to spend
the $$$ on DDR 333. Would saving the cash and not buying DDR 333 make
purchasing a board with those specs (and the 2600+ chip) not worth it ?

Thanks again.

Old July 3rd 03, 11:01 PM
Strontium

Just my 0.02...

That 800 FSB combined with the 400MHz memory bandwidth is kicking ass.
I've said 'bye bye' to AMD. I'm one of those that always hailed AMD.
This is the first box I've built, based on the wIntel solution. I gotta
say...I DO NOT MISS AMD. You wanna save cash, go AMD...good bang/buck.
You want a ****ing RIG, go wIntel. Your choice, dude. In the end, that's
what it comes down to. I gotta say, I'm still amazed by this performance
of the HT system. I feel like I could tell it to get me a beer, and it
would! But, then again, I'm a gamer...what are you gonna use this box
for?

PS - I just got 1360 3DMarks, in 3DMark03 with my crappy (not so) Asus GF3
Ti200 (250/550). I topped the list. Funny, that. I was expecting like
800...nope, I freaking blew everyone with my setup away....freaky.

YMMV!

-

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...nclusion_chang
e_in_power:

"...the Athlon XP 2600+ could outperform the Intel P4/2533 in numerous
benchmark tests. Now, Intel sends its P4/2800 into the fray. In this
situation, the AMD processor takes the lead in only one of the
benchmark disciplines, namely, 3D rendering under Cinema 4D XL R7. In
all other
categories with different applications, the P4 tops the Athlon XP."

Additionally, I already have two sticks of DDR 266 and would hate to
spend
the $$$ on DDR 333. Would saving the cash and not buying DDR 333 make
purchasing a board with those specs (and the 2600+ chip) not worth it
?

Thanks again.

Strontium wrote:

Have you considered the importance of the video card, in this
scenario?

-
Fred stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

So I have the P4 1.6, 512 megs of DDR, geforce 4600ti, and a nice
soundblaster PCI something-or-rather.

What more can I do that will allow me to set everything to highest
for
games (ie Medal of Honor)? Get a XEON?

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Old July 3rd 03, 11:15 PM
DVR

I'll use it for gaming. So which P4 are you running 2.4 - 3.0? How much
RAM - dual DDR?

I'm downloading 3DMarks now to see where I'm at. Do you have freeware or
full version? Is there a difference?

I'll let you know what I get....

Old July 4th 03, 12:07 AM
Strontium

I'm running P4 2.4C with PC3200 Samsung. Stock settings. It rocks my
balls off. Seriously. Gaming is this beast's total destiny. And, by
GOD, it's living upu to it.

DDR400 buddy boy Dual channel config.

The benchmark has no difference between registered/trial

However, don't run it if you have a slow (by my standards system. You,
really, need to use several tools to tell where you're at 1) performance
measured by YOU. Can you see a difference? This is the most important
benchmark, IMO 2) 3dmark2001SE to give you a baseline of your video card.
It will show you if you have a bottleneck, other than the video card, or
not. 3) gaming....no substitute, for this dude. I suggest the UT2003
demo. Only bad side to that, there is no place where ppl compare
scores...kinda sux to run a badass benchmark then be told you can't
compare it to others in a database lol.

Anyway, my box is rocking...with a ****ty little GF3Ti200 OC'd to 250/550

I keep expecting to see smoke coming out of the back of my case. When I
get my ATI 9700, I'm gonna take all my smoke alarms out, in the house.
This Bitch is gonna rock (not that it already doesn't).

It's so freaking fast, that I am bored with the games! NIGHTMARE!

-

Old July 4th 03, 12:57 AM
Strontium

Depends what you mean by 'board'. Never get cocky, with WinBlows... From
a veteran.

Take it, for what it's worth 0.

-
DVR stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

One other thing, I'm assuming if I add a new board/chip I won't need
to wipe my hd's clean. It will act as RAM does and recognize it when
I flip the power on. Also, what power supply are you running?

Thanks

"DVR" wrote in message
.. .
I just ran the freeware version and got a 1482, which surprises me
since framerates dropped to 1-6 on some of the tests. I'm thinking
something went wrong with the test...

.. .

Old July 4th 03, 03:37 AM
JK

DVR wrote:

Thanks for the response. Would going with the Athlon only be for $$$
reasons? In my research I've seen lots of conclusions showing P4
outperforming Athlon 2600+.

One example is on Tom's hardware where the 2600+

Please don't make me laugh. There are other websites.

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/amd_axp_2600(3).shtml
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...onxp-3000.html
http://www.lostcircuits.com/

Geforce 6800 drivers Glitch General 3 December 13th 04 09:30 AM
Performance Comparison: Nvidia Fx 5200 or GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Falcon1209 General 13 October 30th 04 02:26 AM
Elsa Geforce 256 64 Megs AGP Any Good? [email protected] General 1 February 4th 04 06:06 PM
ASUS GeForce FX 9950 Overclocking question... gogulo Overclocking 3 October 13th 03 06:54 PM
Agp 4x, MSI K7T (6330) Lite, Geforce 2 GTS PRO kcirevam Overclocking AMD Processors 0 August 4th 03 05:50 AM