WTF? 'Warranty void if seal broken' stickers?

Old December 5th 06, 12:03 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Conor

Default WTF? 'Warranty void if seal broken' stickers?

In article , Chris Dyson
says...

With regards to your warranty position on adding a floppy drive. You are
able to add one yourself, however if by doing so you damage any of the
internal components of the machine your warranty would become void. Also
note, that Acer would not support any additional drive added by yourself,
nor would we support any software conflicts arising in this configuration.
The same applies to upgrading of RAM. The labels on the machine are there to
discourage in-experienced personnel from tampering with the machine, if you
feel comfortable with performing this then you may.Otherwise, please contact
us again and we will happily (for a fee) install these items for you.

A very well worded response and certainly one I'd be happy with.

--
Conor

The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
seldom they defeat us.
Old December 5th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Vittorio Janus

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:58:25 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:
snip

I had the same problem with a PC assembled for me by Aria Technology. This
was a highly upgradable MidiTower computer. Of course, these bloody warranty
stickers came as a big surprise. Nevertheless, when I decided to add a TV
card (among other things), I just took the stickers off and hoped for the
best.
Aria have a poor reputation, and I have never dealt with them again.

Sylvain.

I to had a problem with a PC assembled for me by Aria Technology -
this was back in the days when RobD worked for them. In trying to sort
the problem out, the Tech Manager (Ian Gower?) told me to open it up.
When I asked him about the stickers, he said "they're there to let me
know if someone has been poking around so I can look to see if they
caused the problem themselves". They were extremely helpful then but
without RobD geeing them up now, they do seem to have gone downhill.

Regards,
vj
Old December 5th 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Graham W

wrote:
[...]

One way I found to open them and retain the sticker is to remove the
screws securing the side panel and then gently slide it back to the point
where it would release the latches all the while looking at the sticker
to make sure it wasn't getting torn.

Since the unpeeling effort is applied by the panel all along its junction
with the rear panel, there was no tendancy to do otherwise than
come unstuck! But you have to go very gently.

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
Old December 6th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jim Howes

Chris Dyson (Quoting Acer) wrote:
With regards to your warranty position on adding a floppy drive. You are
able to add one yourself, however if by doing so you damage any of the
internal components of the machine your warranty would become void. Also
note, that Acer would not support any additional drive added by yourself,
nor would we support any software conflicts arising in this configuration.
The same applies to upgrading of RAM. The labels on the machine are there to
discourage in-experienced personnel from tampering with the machine, if you
feel comfortable with performing this then you may.Otherwise, please contact
us again and we will happily (for a fee) install these items for you.

That kind of explanation would be fine with me. I don't expect suppliers to
support or warrant goods that they did not supply, or which have been modified
by me under most circumstances.

If, however, I placed two DDR400 sticks into a motherboard already holding two
(warranted) DDR400 sticks, and the motherboard switched from nosmoke to smoking
mode, I'd be in a different position. If I knew the sticks to be compatible
with DDR400 specifications, and the board is advertised as such, then the fact
it smokes when they are installed implies a latent fault present at time of
delivery, and is therefore a warranty claim.

If, however, I had shoved a ISA card into an AGP slot, and the motherboard had
decided to do the big firework, I would certainly not expect the manufacturer to
help, and would probably abuse the person that did it to a great extent.

Many thanks for the numerous replies. I am still working through them. Suffice
it to say I've been away for a couple of days due to voiding my own warranty
following the installation of an incompatible chicken curry, I could go into
detail, but there are other newsgroups for that sort of thing...

Jim
Old December 6th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jason Russell

Jim Howes ejaculated:

Suffice it to say I've been away for a couple of days due to
voiding my own warranty following the installation of an incompatible
chicken curry, I could go into detail, but there are other newsgroups
for that sort of thing...

Jim

Is the orignal supplier going to pay for the return carriage?

Old December 6th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Dr Zoidberg

Chris Dyson wrote:
"Mad Mum" wrote in message
. uk...
sounds like my Acer got the 2nd drive in a cheap eBay usb caddy at
the mo.. lad won't let me open it.. am tempted to ring their tech
support and ask.... I am a it person by trade so should know what I
am doing . . .

I bought an Acer last year and it had these stickers attached. The
plan was to upgrade the PC immediately with memory I already had, and
install a floppy drive. I was going to fit the bits anyway, but I
thought I would e-mail Acer to see what they had to say. This is the
reply I got:
***
Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

With regards to your warranty position on adding a floppy drive. You
are able to add one yourself, however if by doing so you damage any
of the internal components of the machine your warranty would become
void. Also note, that Acer would not support any additional drive
added by yourself, nor would we support any software conflicts
arising in this configuration. The same applies to upgrading of RAM.
The labels on the machine are there to discourage in-experienced
personnel from tampering with the machine, if you feel comfortable
with performing this then you may.Otherwise, please contact us again
and we will happily (for a fee) install these items for you.
Regards
Acer Technical Support Team
***

I would expect the situation to be the same of any manufacturer these
days. Hope this helps.

That all seems entirely fair and reasonable.

If that's what they actually enforce then I wouldn't see that as a problem

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old December 6th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jim Howes

Jason Russell wrote:
Is the orignal supplier going to pay for the return carriage?

There are probably internal restrictions on what can be sent through the postal
system.
Old December 6th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jim Howes

Jim Howes wrote:
Jason Russell wrote:
Is the orignal supplier going to pay for the return carriage?

There are probably internal restrictions on what can be sent through the postal
system.

That should have read 'international'.. Damn spill chuckers!

exit( runAway & Hide );

Old December 9th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
johannes

Jim Howes wrote:

I have just received two pre-built 'budget' PC's from a vendor who, for the time
being, shall remain nameless (unless, of course, I fail to get a satisfactory
response to this question from them). You are of course, free to name, shame,
praise or otherwise guess as to A) Who you think it is, and B) Who you have had
similar from.

The system is advertised on the web site as having, among other things, "with 4
DIMM slots, maximum capacity up to 8GB".

PC's are designed to be upgradeable. I might want to add DVD-RAM drives, more
hard discs, more memory, different video cards, exotic interface cards, etc.

Therefore, I take very unkindly to discovering 'Warranty void if seal broken'
stickers on the back of the case.

I can kind of understand why they're putting to sticker on. You are buying
a complete PC with a warranty for the PC as a whole. Not all buyers have
the skills to safely mock around inside the case, e.g. take antistatic
precautions etc. Yes, a PC is upgradable, more or less, but it could also
mean that the upgrade should be done by the vendor for keeping the warranty
valid. But... you might probably get away with breaking the seal if you
argue your case long enough.
Old December 27th 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
therover

I purchased a PC System from RL Supplies (www.rlsupplies.co.uk) which
also came with a warranty void sticker on the rear.

I contacted them and explained that I wished to add my own components
to the system. They explained that the reason for the warranty seal was
that they had in the past had customers claiming that the system had
been delivered with no ram etc. inside the system.

They advised me to check that the system was the spec that I had
ordered and that if I was happy then I could open the system and my
warranty would not be affected.

Faced with these circumstances I can understand why the system builder
would want to put these stickers on the back, and would like to think
that a majority of them, like RL Supplies, would understand that a PC
system is designed to be upgraded and that opening the system to fit
additonal parts should not affect the system warranty.