Looking for a new PC

Old November 24th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
IE

Default Looking for a new PC

Hi,

Looking to replace an ageing PIII 450 128 RAM (circa 1999) with something
more powerful that can run Linux (with KDE) comfortably. Budget is £500.

Can anyone suggest what I might buy for this sort of money please? Processor
to go for? Minimum RAM etc etc?

Many thanks.

Ian.

Old November 25th 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Nick

"IE" wrote in message
Hi,

Looking to replace an ageing PIII 450 128 RAM (circa 1999) with something
more powerful that can run Linux (with KDE) comfortably. Budget is £500.

Can anyone suggest what I might buy for this sort of money please?
Processor
to go for? Minimum RAM etc etc?

Many thanks.

Ian.

If you are looking for new equipment:
This evening I received some blurb from Aldi about a new pc. Full details
available early Dec. but may well be over budget. See
http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_481.html

Try Dell, they have products to suit most pockets and support is,
supposedly, reasonable.

I still run several PII and PIII machines as well as some P4. The earlier
machines are far more reliable, parts are obtainable cheaply via ebay and
upgrading is relatively easy but sometimes frustrating.
Much depends on your usage, but don't chuck your PIII away.
For £500 or less I would think that you should be able to obtain a (base
unit) P4 with 3Ghz CPU with 512mb ram and decent size hdd (100GB+). You
would probably have to provide your own OS, monitor, kb, mouse & any other
peripherals etc.
hth
Nick

Old November 25th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
RiTSo

Nick wrote:

:: For £500 or less I would think that you should be able to obtain a
:: (base unit) P4 with 3Ghz CPU with 512mb ram and decent size hdd
:: (100GB+). You would probably have to provide your own OS, monitor,
:: kb, mouse & any other peripherals etc.

For far less than £500 you WILL be able to get all of the above, base,
monitor, OS, etc..

--
RiTSo

Old November 25th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Ron

"IE" wrote in message
Hi,

Looking to replace an ageing PIII 450 128 RAM (circa 1999) with something
more powerful that can run Linux (with KDE) comfortably. Budget is £500.

Can anyone suggest what I might buy for this sort of money please?
Processor
to go for? Minimum RAM etc etc?

Many thanks.

Ian.

Most shops or online retailers sell what you want. I'm amazed you haven't
been able to find any. For that price you will not get the choice of what
you want, it's a case of buy by price and take what you're given - or choose
the items and pay the price!

Old November 25th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Peter Watson

IE wrote:
Hi,

Looking to replace an ageing PIII 450 128 RAM (circa 1999) with something
more powerful that can run Linux (with KDE) comfortably. Budget is £500.

Can anyone suggest what I might buy for this sort of money please? Processor
to go for? Minimum RAM etc etc?

Many thanks.

Ian.

Does it have to be 'new'? There are ex-corporate bargains to had on eBay.

If it must be new but you're happy with your existing monitor, take a
look at the Dell Dimension C521 (Currently £139+VAT+Shipping) Linux
with KDE needs far less horsepower than XP....

Peter
Old November 25th 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Peter Watson

Or here http://www.crs-uk.biz/trade/acatalog/index.html

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 25th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
dann

"IE" wrote in message
Hi,

Looking to replace an ageing PIII 450 128 RAM (circa 1999) with something
more powerful that can run Linux (with KDE) comfortably.

I was under the impression linux was designed to run on ageing machines
comfotably?

Old November 25th 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "dann"
opened his gob and said:

I was under the impression linux was designed to run on ageing machines
comfotably?

Depends on the amount of eye-candy one wants to run g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 25th 06, 08:12 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/...Code=3361-3301
http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/...Code=3362-3304