So just which vendors can be trusted?

Old November 23rd 06, 12:21 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Gary Morton

Default So just which vendors can be trusted?

I am about to spend around £700 to £800 pounds to upgrade (well
completely overhaul) my PC. I will buy seperate parts as I always have,
and using "Custom PC" as my guide, I have decided on the various
components (processor, motherboard, graphics card, etc).

I have visited the websites of all the likely vendors and checked for
availability of parts and price. A few vendors have most of the
components on my list, others only some. Reading the various postings in
this newsgroup is quite worrying, as if I cross off those reported as
giving poor service, there is virtually no-one left.

Scan, Novatech, Yoyotech and Microdirect sell both processor and
motherboard, with Scan and Microdirect the very cheapest.

Scan and Novatech also sell the graphics card.

I intend to buy using mail order, however I have an opportunity to
actually visit the trade counter of CCL on Friday.

I am at a loss as to who to trust(?) with my order (I would like to
order all parts, including HDD, DVD, cooler, etc from one vendor). The
last time I ordered a high end grapics card I used Chillblast. The card
was faulty. I had used the Romulus2 website to help me decided where to
buy from, avoiding those vendors who could only be contacted via "notes"
or email. I was able to speak to Chillblast on the phone and everything
was resolved quickly with no fuss. Unfortunately this time they don't
stock the motherboard or graphics card.

BTW, Yoyotech gets my vote for best website, having a wide range of
stock and allowing each product catagory to be sieved down using a
choice of criteria.

I would appreciate any advice.

regards...

--Gary

Old November 23rd 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Gary Morton
opened his gob and said:

I intend to buy using mail order, however I have an opportunity to
actually visit the trade counter of CCL on Friday.

You won't go wrong with them.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 24th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jeff

opened his gob and said:

I intend to buy using mail order, however I have an opportunity to
actually visit the trade counter of CCL on Friday.

You won't go wrong with them.

Indeed, I've used CCL for years, they've always been helpful and returns
under warranty have been dealt with quickly and painlessly.

Regards

Jeff

Old December 20th 06, 12:47 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Gary Morton

After looking at several websites and creating a spreadsheet of prices
and availability, I decided to order from Scan, albeit with a little
nervousness (given what I have read elsewhere).

I ordered online and was given the option of a Thursday delivery. I
instead chose delivery on Friday and opted to pay more for a morning
delivery (having booked time off work).

On Thursday evening (around 6.30PM) I checked the progress of my order.
To my horror the package stage had not been reached. I checked again
later in the evening (7.30PM) and I was relieved that the package stage
had now been reached. So they obviously work late at Scan! Checking even
later on, the order had reached the final dispatched stage.

On Friday morning the package was delivered by City Link at 10.20AM.
The various parts were well packed, with some items having Scan
"security" tape around them (e.g the Windows OS and HDD). Other larger
boxes such as motherboard and video had no extra packaging - neverthess
it all arrived without damage.

I spent the rest of the day taking apart my old PC and fitting all the
new parts in the old case.

Scan were the only company to stock all the parts which I wanted. They
were also the cheapest (Note: I purposely never went near Ebuyer). The
website was easy to use with plenty of information and ordering online
was easy.

I know that you only really find out how well customer service is when
things go wrong, but I am very relieved that everything went smoothly
with my order.

Usual disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Scan or any of it's
employees. This was my first order from them.

regards...

--Gary
Old December 20th 06, 03:45 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Lee J. Moore

opened his gob and said:

I intend to buy using mail order, however I have an opportunity to
actually visit the trade counter of CCL on Friday.

You won't go wrong with them.

You can. They charged my CC before they knew they could get the goods (a
£200UKP graphics card), then wrote to me saying they might not be able
to get the goods. When they eventually did get the goods and sent them,
I discovered upon arrival that they were the wrong goods. Even though
the *required* graphics card was in the package, it had a different part
number, and didn't contain a game advertised in the original
description. Both part numbers are available at stores like Dabs,
Komplett and Insight...and all list the one CCL sent to me as worth
approx. £15 less than the one I actually paid for (my email confirmation
from CCL even has the *correct* part number on it).

I pointed out this was a Christmas present for somebody, and they would
never get the refund back onto my (up to the limit) credit card on time
in order for me to shop elsewhere. But they thought it was (i)
acceptable that the supplier sent this card and (ii) that no goodwill
gesture was in order. I went out to the High St. and bought the game
I'd already paid a £15 surplus for.

I've used CCL many times in the past. Never again. They might be good
if you need to return stuff because that is their preferred solution to
everything. Sometimes a little flexibility is required, but such a
radical concept is clearly alien to them.
--
TAFKA LJM
Old December 20th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Rob S

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 02:45:59 +0000, "Lee J. Moore"
wrote:

- I went out to the High St. and bought the game
-I'd already paid a £15 surplus for.

How much did you pay for the game?

Seems to me you have a pretty water tight case for claiming this amount from
them in the small claims court. Perhaps you should fill in the forms (I think
they are online) and send them - you may find a Christmas miracle occurs.

Or put them in your "never use again" pile...

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com