VGA question!

Old April 3rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default VGA question!

Hi!
I just bought a VERY long (30 m) VGA cable...
Just as adviced by regulars in this group, I found that the picture
signal does indeed get weeker after 10 metres...

(typical women tihi... we ask for advice, then we ignore it.... ;-) I
hope you will give me more advice anyway!

Well, after nailing the cable along some skirting boards I found that I
only need to use about 15m of the cable after all. The remaining 15
metres are superflous. Because of the reduction in picture quality that
I have noticed, it would make sense to cut the cable and re-connect the
new cable-end to the 'male' VGA connector... (Hope I am making sense so
far).

-This cable has high quality gold-plated VGA connectors. (plugs?)
-It has great insulation (e.g extra thick cable).
-I got the cable from Lindy online. It was £80, so if possible I'd like
to make use of it... rather than go back to them for a replacement.
-When I was at Maplin's at my lunch, I bought a DIY VGA male connector
in case I am not able to re-use the existing one.

I seem to remember that VGA signals are very complex, and I am worried
about cutting the cable and then not being able to get it to work again!

I'd like to ask for advice:
1) What are my chances of being able to succeed with this (e.g.
shortening the cable as described and getting a good quality picture..)
2) It seems like it may be easier (less chance of getting it wrong) to
shorten the cable somewhere in the middle, getting rid of the superflous
15 metres and then use electrical tape to reconnect each of the 15?
wires with the corresponding ones of the same colour. Is this idea
idiotic, or actually likely to succeed.
3) Is there anywhere online that has a very clear guide (ideally
pictures) of how to do this?

Thanks to all who have helped me out previously in this group - I
appreciate it a lot!
All the best
Jo
Old April 3rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Johanna" wrote in message
Hi!
I just bought a VERY long (30 m) VGA cable...
Just as adviced by regulars in this group, I found that the picture signal
does indeed get weeker after 10 metres...

snipped

Answered in hardware.homebuilt.

Old April 4th 06, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Should not be that hard if you have soldered at all before. Might be a bit
tricky making sure you do not have any shorts there between any of the pins.

Tips...

1) Make sure that you get all the pins in the right spot.

2) Make sure you have NO shorts between pins. I like to run a old credit
card down between the pins on the solder side just be sure that I do not
have any fine wire hairs crossing between pins.

3) Make sure you connect the shielding property and securely. The
shielding is what makes the difference on the long runs.

Good luck.

Old April 4th 06, 09:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:00:41 +0100, Johanna
wrote:

Hi!
I just bought a VERY long (30 m) VGA cable...
Just as adviced by regulars in this group, I found that the picture
signal does indeed get weeker after 10 metres...

(typical women tihi... we ask for advice, then we ignore it.... ;-) I
hope you will give me more advice anyway!

Men aren't too good in this department either. You know the standing
joke about how men won't ask for directions when they are lost... it
has a grain of truth.

I'd like to ask for advice:
1) What are my chances of being able to succeed with this (e.g.
shortening the cable as described and getting a good quality picture..)
2) It seems like it may be easier (less chance of getting it wrong) to
shorten the cable somewhere in the middle, getting rid of the superflous
15 metres and then use electrical tape to reconnect each of the 15?

I recommend you not cut into that cable after spending that kind of
money. Your run is just too long. Send it back and tell them it
doesn't work.

A cat5 KVM switch is a better way to go, but it will cost you £100 or
more I believe. Here is an example of the kind I mean:

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0dt23008a.html

The cable is cheap and it will be no problem over your run.

Charlie