Angry with DVD drive.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Angry with DVD drive.

I know Dell sucks, but bear with me:

I've had my Dell computer for about 2 yrs now, and about 6 months ago,
my DVD drive game me problems. It is still recognised by the computer
and is, according to the computer, in worling condition. Every time I
put a DVD into this drive, it will spin for about 5 seconds, and then
stop. When I click on the drive in My Computer, it says there is no
disk inserted. I have tried cleaning the lens many times, and don't
know what to do. any ideas?

Specs:
the drive is made by hitachi-LG . it is a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
it is NOT a DVD writer, only reads them.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

It is further alleged that on or about 2 Apr 2006 17:00:38 -0700, in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "TheFinkel"
spewed the following:

|I know Dell sucks, but bear with me:
|
|I've had my Dell computer for about 2 yrs now, and about 6 months ago,
|my DVD drive game me problems. It is still recognised by the computer
|and is, according to the computer, in worling condition. Every time I
|put a DVD into this drive, it will spin for about 5 seconds, and then
|stop. When I click on the drive in My Computer, it says there is no
|disk inserted. I have tried cleaning the lens many times, and don't
|know what to do. any ideas?
|
|Specs:
|the drive is made by hitachi-LG . it is a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
|it is NOT a DVD writer, only reads them.

I assume that you are running WinXP. Go to device manager (Windows key
+ Break, Hardware Tab) and delete the IDE channel that your DVD is on.
Reboot and windows will reinstall the drive. If the drive is still
contrary, it will need to be replaced.
--
-nos1eep
Old April 3rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

First find out if in fact it is still working by going into the bios and
changing the boot order to CD-ROM drive. Save the settings and put the
Windows installation disk into the drive. Reboot and see if the computer
will start from the disk. That should give you a clue to whether or not the
drive should be trashed.
If it does work then it's software related. Deleting the drive from the
system and allowing it to be refound by Windows may cure it.. If not you may
need to do a Google search through the Internet to see if there are any
problems with the drive, or just going to the Hitachi web site might turn up
answers to this mystery.

Jan Alter

oups.com...

Old April 3rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

That is probably what will happen ^___^

Old April 3rd 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thank you very much. ^__^

Old April 4th 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

It sounds like your DVD drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

--
DaveW

----------------
oups.com...

Old April 4th 06, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
First find out if in fact it is still working by going into the bios and
changing the boot order to CD-ROM drive. Save the settings and put the
Windows installation disk into the drive. Reboot and see if the computer
will start from the disk. That should give you a clue to whether or not
the drive should be trashed.

Only useful if you have a bootable DVD! May well read CD OK as drives
use two seperate lasers for CD & DVD discs. Boot off Win98 startup siskette
with CDROM support and see if can read CD & DVD disc, if not, drive is
broke!
Mike.

If it does work then it's software related. Deleting the drive from the
system and allowing it to be refound by Windows may cure it.. If not you
may need to do a Google search through the Internet to see if there are
any problems with the drive, or just going to the Hitachi web site might
turn up answers to this mystery.

Jan Alter

"TheFinkel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know Dell sucks, but bear with me:

I've had my Dell computer for about 2 yrs now, and about 6 months ago,
my DVD drive game me problems. It is still recognised by the computer
and is, according to the computer, in worling condition. Every time I
put a DVD into this drive, it will spin for about 5 seconds, and then
stop. When I click on the drive in My Computer, it says there is no
disk inserted. I have tried cleaning the lens many times, and don't
know what to do. any ideas?

Specs:
the drive is made by hitachi-LG . it is a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
it is NOT a DVD writer, only reads them.

Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array D Storage (alternative) 10 November 25th 05 12:05 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo Storage (alternative) 37 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
FDISK, HDD #s, don't know how to install two HDDs. sunslight Storage (alternative) 14 October 29th 03 08:56 PM