Configuring the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB disk

Old April 2nd 06, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Configuring the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB disk

I've read a few reviews on the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250 GB SATA drive.

Looking at some customer reviews on the Dabs web site:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...1&v=3#infoarea

it says the drive is shipped as SATA I

Sata I mode and will give you failures in some Sata II systems (ie
Shuttle XPC's). You can set this in Sata II mode by downloading the
ftool.exe from the
following URL: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Does anyone know if this is has to be done once, or is a program loaded when the
machine boots?

I do *NOT* want to use it under Windoze at all, but 64-bit Solaris. So whilst I
don't mind setting a drive up once via Windoze, I can't have a drive that needs
it done eash time the machine boots.

The Tyan motherboard supports SATA II, so obviously I want to get the best
performance I can.

--
Dave K MCSE.

Old April 2nd 06, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dave (from the UK)"
wrote in message ...
[...]

You just set it once. Mine ran for a while with the default settings on my
SATA II mobo, with no problems. I used the Hitachi util to set it to SATA
II, but frankly can detect no speed difference in it's performance. Nice,
inexpensive drive though.

Old April 2nd 06, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Dale Brisket wrote:
"Dave (from the UK)"
wrote in message ...

I've read a few reviews on the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250 GB SATA drive.

Looking at some customer reviews on the Dabs web site:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...1&v=3#infoarea

it says the drive is shipped as SATA I

Sata I mode and will give you failures in some Sata II systems (ie
Shuttle XPC's). You can set this in Sata II mode by downloading the
ftool.exe from the
following URL: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Does anyone know if this is has to be done once, or is a program loaded
when the machine boots?

snip
You just set it once. Mine ran for a while with the default settings on my
SATA II mobo, with no problems. I used the Hitachi util to set it to SATA
II, but frankly can detect no speed difference in it's performance. Nice,
inexpensive drive though.

Thank you. I might well get one of these for mass storage of infrequently used
data, although I might still l buy a SCSI drive for better performance on data
accesses frequently. Not sure yet !!

--
Dave K MCSE.

Old April 4th 06, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dave (from the UK)"
wrote in message ...
[...]

yikes the deathstar........