certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

Old September 24th 08, 02:20 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
deepaksamraj

Default certification for SAN - Tell me which is good

Hi all,

I need a help.

Tell me which certification will be the best.

I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
and planning for a career in SAN.

I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

Kindly help me out..

Thanks in advance,
Deepaksamraj D
Old September 24th 08, 03:59 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

deepaksamraj wrote:
Hi all,

I need a help.

Tell me which certification will be the best.

CNE, Cetified Novell Engineer.
Old September 24th 08, 06:10 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Igor Batinic

Hi!

deepaksamraj wrote:

I need a help.

Tell me which certification will be the best.

I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
and planning for a career in SAN.

I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

There's no such thing as "the best SAN vendor". I'm working with EMC and
Dell, educating for NetApp and all I can say that all of them have some
advantages and disadvantages, among all similarities.

If you become very familiar with EMC, you will not have any problem
understanding IBM, HP or other systems and differences among them.

With best regards,

Iggy
Old September 29th 08, 03:13 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:20:50 -0700 (PDT), deepaksamraj
wrote:

Hi all,

I need a help.

Tell me which certification will be the best.

I have already completed STF [storage technology foundations] from EMC
and planning for a career in SAN.

I am confused in deciding the best vendor for SAN.

Kindly help me out..

Thanks in advance,
Deepaksamraj D

I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone making a "career in SAN" since
it's simply a technology. You might want a career in storage but that
means you'll need more under your belt than just SAN. Alot more
actually.

But in any case, if you want a career in storage starting out on a
specific vendor usually means specific companies. For instance,
company A is looking for an HDS admin while company B is looking for
an EMC admin. If you've chosen the EMC education (presumably you've
no experience) then you can really only apply to company B.
But if you've educated yourself on concepts of FC, drive mechanics,
raid levels, etc. then you could apply to either.

Teaching someone how to use a few software windows is easy, finding
someone who understands storage and it's underlying mechanics is not.

~F
Old September 29th 08, 06:43 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
deepaksamraj

wrote:
[...]

Hi faeander,

Can i Start with SNIA foundation level to gain a good knowledge about
the basics of FC, drive mechanics,etc..?

regards
Deepaksam
Old October 1st 08, 01:07 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

wrote:
[...]

snia.org is a good place to begin.
http://www.snia.org/education/tutorials

If you get through, and understand, half of what is on this page
you're on the right path.
For SAN specific information pay special attention to:
networking
storage
storage management
virtualization

These will give you a good overall understanding of storage; you can
get into specific vendors much more easily from here.

~F