Odd Issue On A Compaq EVO 500 SFF

Old April 7th 08, 06:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Kevin Childers

Default Odd Issue On A Compaq EVO 500 SFF

Having an odd issue on a Compaq EVO 500 SFF

System seems to think it is part of a network with some form of user/group
policy restrictions applied.

Running Windows XP Home
Owner is not a tinkerer and has no idea how any restrictions could have been
applied to her PC.
Owner only noticed something was odd when the clock didn't update to DST.
No longer has access to control panel and several other of the usual
restrictions one might find on a company PC.
While the machine was once part of a corporate network it was purchased sans
HD and had a new 80 GB HD installed with a fresh install of Windows XP
(updated to SP2).
When I first tried to check, could not log-in to the Admin account.
Used Log-in recovery and passwords for Admin and User account came back both
as "blank"
Logging in as Admin doesn't have any more access rights than the user
account.
Tried to locate "GPEdit" to see what was up, but was not found on the
system.
Not sure what the owner could have done to precede this.
Also noted that access to the Windows Update site is disallowed.
Software includes: Adware, Spybot and Norton Internet Security
Suggestions???

Old April 7th 08, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
[...]

XP - SP1 ? Sp2 ? Sp3? Set to autoupdate ?
Do you suspect virus / another person was on there ?

If you boot into SAFE MODE with a logfile, is the admin account then ok ?
Others ? While in safe mode, try to create a new user/ new folder -
does that work ( some implied permissions there)
check C:\bootlog.txt for the startup log - issues ?
Does she "normally" shutdown/reboot everyday ? Or never reboots ?

Did the accounts USED to have passwords ? You mentioned DST change ...to
clarify your situation :
PC was fine, then DST came along and since then the time did not update
( wouldn't unless recent XP update was installed - this year DST in
March - not April as before). It became a problem immediately - the day
after DST ( the next day ?) or when she tried to do it manually ? Or
after next reboot ? Check BIOS - security - any option there for a "
enter password before any system changes" ?

So, you CAN log into admin account now ? What changed from " cannot log in
" to " CAN login"? Is it that you were entering 'old password' when "now
there are no passwords?". Once no pwd entered can log right in ? CAN you
create a password ?

On desktop create text.txt and then change permission - OK ??

( I'm assuming that XP Home cannot log onto domain if it wanted to, but I
use XP pro, so I'll ask... )

Control Panel - system - Computer Name - logging onto Workgroup ( vs
domain)?
Admin Tools - local security - OK ?
OR get a "Not Found" like GPedit.msc ?
If OK, check ' Interactive Logon - # of logons to cache...' - in case it
THINKS a server out there.
Default is ten - what's yours ? Make it 'more'. ( I know - I'm reaching)

If you go to control panel - users , ( enable hidden files and folders
first in case someone WAS on there) then do a dir of C:\Docs and
Settings... - any 'unexpected users' listed. Can you create a new user
with admin rights? Log into THAT account - OK ?

Tried to locate "GPEdit" to see what was up, but was not found on the
system.
Not sure what the owner could have done to precede this.
Also noted that access to the Windows Update site is disallowed.
Software includes: Adware, Spybot and Norton Internet Security
Suggestions???

But other sites work OK ?
If XP boots OK, double-click time in systray. Click on 'Internet Time'
tab: where is it going ? Try time.mit.edu rather than time.microsoft.com,
then "Update now". Did that work ? Did it even let you change it ?
(permission check)
Does internet /email work OK ? ( meaning "still associates a login name
with a mail account" so some history/reg info there.)

Old April 8th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Kevin Childers

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Windows XP Home SP2

Do you suspect virus / another person was on there ?

Really can't find any virus that would create this condition.

If you boot into SAFE MODE with a logfile, is the admin account then ok ?

No same as logging into User or Guest account.

Others ? While in safe mode, try to create a new user/ new folder - does
that work ( some implied permissions there)

No access to Control Panel Users

check C:\bootlog.txt for the startup log - issues ?

None, appears as though the system is booting normally

Does she "normally" shutdown/reboot everyday ? Or never reboots ?

Asked that, shuts down after use a couple of times a day

Did the accounts USED to have passwords ? You mentioned DST change ...to
clarify your situation :

Admin and User accounts had passwords, Guest account did not

PC was fine, then DST came along and since then the time did not update
( wouldn't unless recent XP update was installed - this year DST in
March - not April as before). It became a problem immediately - the day
after DST ( the next day ?) or when she tried to do it manually ? Or
after next reboot ? Check BIOS - security - any option there for a "
enter password before any system changes" ?

Not sure when issue actually began since she did not suspect an issue until
she noter that the clock was off by one hour. Appears not to have made the
leap forward into Dailight Savings Time (US). She simply tried to double
click the clock to get to the settings and recieved a warning "action
cancelled due to restrictions in effect on thsi computer. Please contact
your system administrator." Called me and I asked her to try changing it
through the Control Panel and she reported the same response. I knew I
didn't set any restrictions on her account. Went over and verified what she
was getting, tried booting in safe mode and was locked out of Admin due to
PW. .

So, you CAN log into admin account now ? What changed from " cannot log in
" to " CAN login"? Is it that you were entering 'old password' when "now
there are no passwords?". Once no pwd entered can log right in ? CAN you
create a password ?

Ran PW recovery, waited 72 hours and found out that both PWs were listed as
"Blank". Went straight in to Admin only to find that the account had no
more rights than the user or guest accounts (Same restrictions message). No
access to user accounts or to GPEdit.

On desktop create text.txt and then change permission - OK ??

Can do OK

( I'm assuming that XP Home cannot log onto domain if it wanted to, but I
use XP pro, so I'll ask... )

No domain to log-into even if it could.

Control Panel - system - Computer Name - logging onto Workgroup ( vs
domain)?

No access to Control Panel (No Icon on Start Menu)

Admin Tools - local security - OK ?

No access to same

OR get a "Not Found" like GPedit.msc ?

Ditto

If OK, check ' Interactive Logon - # of logons to cache...' - in case it
THINKS a server out there.

Ditto

If you go to control panel - users , ( enable hidden files and folders
first in case someone WAS on there) then do a dir of C:\Docs and
Settings... - any 'unexpected users' listed. Can you create a new user
with admin rights? Log into THAT account - OK ?

Negative

Tried to locate "GPEdit" to see what was up, but was not found on the
system.

Not found on system.

Not sure what the owner could have done to precede this.
Also noted that access to the Windows Update site is disallowed.
Software includes: Adware, Spybot and Norton Internet Security
Suggestions???

But other sites work OK ?

Can surf normally to any site I've tried.

If XP boots OK, double-click time in systray. Click on 'Internet Time'
tab: where is it going ? Try time.mit.edu rather than time.microsoft.com,
then "Update now". Did that work ? Did it even let you change it ?
(permission check)

Same restrictions message as noted above.

Does internet /email work OK ? ( meaning "still associates a login name
with a mail account" so some history/reg info there.)

Email works normally.

System seems fine and were it part of some ones corporate network I would
simple tell her to contact her admin and have him adjust the permissions as
needed. I see this sort of thing regularly where some one is trying to use
the company PC to get some work done outside the company network, but has
run into a settings conflict and simply needs to have access to adjust one
of the items accessible from control panel. No big deal, restrictions are
usually there to protect the user from making changes that might cause
issues with the company network or security scheme. in this case though I
am at a a loss to understand how any restrictions were set.

Old April 8th 08, 12:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Kevin Childers

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
news

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

More Confused Now,

Had the machine plugged in overnight and at some point it got notification
from MS about updates and when I clicked on it the all came in (Express
Mode). There seems to be just a policy restriction set on the User accounts
and not the machine it's self. I also tried right clicking the desk to see
if I could change something as basic as the wallpaper. Got the same
restrictions message, curriouser and couriouser.

Old April 8th 08, 08:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

This smells like one of many screwed up WIndows registries, and, if the owner's
data is not a major concern, I think I would blow it all up and start all over
with a fresh install of Windows. There is nothing special or kinky in the Evo
500 hardware that would cause this... Ben Myers

Old April 10th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Kevin Childers

About 50 Gb of family photos, etc. just have to get a storage medium for
it all. System does not have a burner in it I think, not an option with
that model, I think. The classic Windows solution is always an option, but
I real would like to know the root cause if only for my own education.

KMC

Old April 10th 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Having spent many futile hours trying to find the root cause of registry
problems, I think I would spend a few bucks on either an external USB hard drive
kit or a bare drive with USB cable and power source, copy the 50GB of priceless
photos, and blow away Windows. Personally, I can only tolerate so much
education due to the ineptness of Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and all their little
galley slaves who do not know how to design operating systems, only how to sell
them... Ben

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 05:59:09 -0500, "Kevin Childers"
wrote:

About 50 Gb of family photos, etc. just have to get a storage medium for
it all. System does not have a burner in it I think, not an option with
that model, I think. The classic Windows solution is always an option, but
I real would like to know the root cause if only for my own education.

KMC

.. .

Old April 10th 08, 03:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

If you/she/another family member has a PC with the space- remove her
drive and copy all of her stuff to that other drive ( even temporarily)
rather than buying a new one . That's what you ( we all ) get for being a
nice guy. ;-

You probably mentioned this before .. she never did a backup ?
Did you try Start - all Prgs - Accesories - System Tools - Backup -
Restore - just to see what dates are there ?

Good Luck

wrote:

About 50 Gb of family photos, etc. just have to get a storage medium
for
it all. System does not have a burner in it I think, not an option with
that model, I think. The classic Windows solution is always an option,
but
I real would like to know the root cause if only for my own education.

KMC

. ..