moving OS to another partition

Old July 6th 03, 12:36 AM
Golden Eagle

Default moving OS to another partition

What's the easiest way to move XP from one partition to another? To be
more specific, I want to move my OS from partition D: to partition E: on
the same drive. After reboot, I want to see the OS running from E: and
all references to D:\winnt and D:\program files pointing to E:\winnt,
E:\program files. Thanks.

Old July 6th 03, 02:11 AM
Simon

there may be a few difficulties there, i'd guess the easiest way to move the
OS to E: would be to re-install it, but if you have no data to loose then
try ghosting it from one to the other, the ghost2k3 program is DOS based and
you will need at lleast a windows 98 bootable floppy with the ghost progam
on to use it, it won't find to drive as usable because it is more than
likely NTFS and not FAT32 but it should still work.

the program is available from www.evilinside2.tk and is under the programs
section and then norton. or email me at and i
will attach it for you

chears Simon

Old July 6th 03, 05:23 AM
Craig

"Golden Eagle" wrote in message

What's the easiest way to move XP from one partition to another? To be
more specific, I want to move my OS from partition D: to partition E: on
the same drive. After reboot, I want to see the OS running from E: and
all references to D:\winnt and D:\program files pointing to E:\winnt,
E:\program files. Thanks.

Try Partition Magic it will do what you want and more.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Craig

Old July 6th 03, 02:51 PM
Craig

"Ed Light" wrote in message
I suggest:

bootitng.com

See review, he
http://langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-07-03.htm#5
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

You could but Partition Magic 8 OEM version for $27.00
plus shipping is a much better deal. Partition Magic 8 is a much better
program.
http://www.softwareoutlets.com/122/p...ampaign=google

Craig

Old July 7th 03, 06:21 AM
Ed Light

"Craig" wrote in message
news

"Ed Light" wrote in message
I suggest:

bootitng.com

See review, he
http://langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-07-03.htm#5
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

You could but Partition Magic 8 OEM version for $27.00
plus shipping is a much better deal. Partition Magic 8 is a much better
program.

http://www.softwareoutlets.com/122/p...?campaign=goog
le

Craig

Don't forget that BootItNG is a partition manager, boot manager, and imaging
program.

Also it's shareware that you can try first.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old July 8th 03, 11:35 PM
Simon

you could ghost it but then you would need a copy of norton system work
which would sort all windows registry error out in about 15 mins, less time
depending on the speed of your pc,

good luck

Simon

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
Don't ghost it.

It's far easier, and more reliable, to reinstall.

Back in January 2002, I did such an exercise in Win 2000.

Using a registry editor, there were 10s of thousands of entries that had

be changed in the registry.

In addition, one must search EVERY file to catch references in
install/uninstall related files, shortcuts, .ini files, etc.

I managed to do it in less than 2 weeks, as I recall, but every once in a
while I find a file that I missed. But I've been lucky.

I'll never do it again.
Next time, I'll just do a clean install.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.