Negative exprience : Dabs Refund

Old June 3rd 07, 12:57 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
lordy

Default Negative exprience : Dabs Refund

On 2007-06-02, johannes wrote:

Isn't that just dumping the problem onto someone else? Unless of course
the TV is described on ebay exactly is it is, detailing the poor picture
quality attached with a sample of the picture to show which (lack of)
quality the buyer will get.

Yup, You dont have to be economical with the truth to make a sale. I
bought a liteon DVD writer which I thought was too noisy, but some
people think its OK. So rather than enter a questionable return I stuck
it on ebay saying that its noisy, and only ended up a few quid down.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130118289340

Main thing is IMO to use BuyItNow (get better prices)
a 10 day duration (because you dont expect too many takers due to your
honesty) and just be patient.

CD Freaks and eBuyer customer comments seemed to indicate some of these
writers are noisy and some aren't. I got another one from SVP which was
noisy also, but they collected it under their no quibble warranty.

Now I'm back to NEC/Pioneer.

Lordy
Old June 3rd 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
News Reader

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to return a reconditined TV bought from the DABS website.
They are refusing to take it back on the grounds that it has been
"opened & used"
I am returning it because I am not happy with the picture quality and
the being "reconditioned" the box was opened and the TV used anyway.

They say

"Unfortunately, because the part has been opened and installed/used
we're unable to sell it again (without incurring losses). Selling on
used goods as 'new' does not comply with the Distance Selling
Regulation.

Therefore please be advised that we cannot accept the part back for a
full, or partial, refund or exchange."

What should I do?

Hi,

I thought the idea of DSR was essentially to provide (akin to Argos money
back guarantee, etc.) physical examination and demonstration models as found
in traditional retail shops. I.e. if buying from a normal shop you can see
it on the shelf, etc., request one from the back to examine, and request the
display unit be demonstrated?

Can anyone comment?

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old June 3rd 07, 11:58 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Palindrome

News Reader wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

The shop will not generally open and demonstrate the unit that you are
considering purchasing. It may have a demo model that will be sold off
at a reduced "ex-demo" price, later.

Many people would not accept something from a shop where the box had
obviously been opened - they would insist on getting a "new" one..

--
Sue

Old June 4th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

On 3 Jun, 23:58, Palindrome wrote:
News Reader wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

An update from the OP....

1- After some email ping-pong, Dabs without any further explanation
have now agreed to take the unit back for a full refund, they
originally said they wouldn't consider even a partial refund. They are
due to collect tomorrow, I am holding my breath.

2- I find the argument about "used goods" difficult to uphold, in this
particular instance, the goods as received by me were already opened
and used and advertised as such by being descirbed as
"reconditioned" (the definition here was that it would come in a
"tatty" box and possibly from a repair centre)

3- I also thought as "News Reader" does. In the past I have had other
vendors interpret DSR to include plugging in and using the equipment.
I believe the bulk of "reconditioned" units end up in the distribution
chain in this way (having been rejected by a previous buyer). I have
often bought products this way and been happy with the results.

4- Nowhere in their return conditions do Dabs say anything about not
switching on the unit (they offer a 10 "change your mind" period)
see their returns policy he- http://www.dabs.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=357

5- I don't think there is anything in DSR to say that you musn't
switch the product on. The condition is that you should return it in a
good state. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

6- For those who were discussing eBay etc. yes I would have put it on
eBay if Dabs hadn't taken it back. No it's not dishonest, it's just
subjective whether you like a particular display or not. For what it's
worth the other people who bought the same display raved about it. No
prizes for guessing which review is mine
http://www.dabs.com/ProductReviews.aspx?Quicklinx=4K11 (Oh and this
weekend the same unit was sold on eBay for 40 quid more than I paid
Dabs! That's eBay for you)

Old June 5th 07, 04:53 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
News Reader

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 3 Jun, 23:58, Palindrome wrote:
News Reader wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Pleased to hear things have gone well.

From the DTI website on the DSR:

"The right to cancel allows the consumer time to examine the goods or
services, as they would have when buying in a shop."

I also thought and my personal opinion was that a customer can generally
request:

- to see a unit demonstrated (either an existing demonstration unit or
one "opened" or otherwise found for this purpose)
- to require or request the right of inspection of a unit before
purchase. I.e. Having essentially agreed to purchase a unit, when they bring
it "out from the back" you can insist upon checking it (i.e. to make sure
all parts are present and correct as well as everything appearing
satisfactory - e.g. confirm that it is not an obviously damaged unit).
Neither of these scenarios are uncommon, for example a lead or manual
missing, or equally to find you have in the wonderful box an either
imperfect of damaged unit (e.g. poor plastic moulding, etc., etc.) or one
that is in fact not electrically or mechanically functional (I think on this
later point that might be asking a bit too much and you can evidently return
it if it fails in that regard as it can evidently fall for rejection as
faulty).

Hence, with the DSR meaning to replicate the same, as painful as it may seem
or be to online retailers et. al., and perhaps seem to consumers overly
generous to themselves, it would seem that within reason and due care and
attention by the customer, one can expect to be able to replicate the above
performance at home and then determine satisfaction, etc.

Clearly, if you use it in a "normal" way, i.e. install it, use it without
much care or consideration and use it whilst eating your take away, having a
party, etc., etc. then you have not honoured the spirit of the legislation.
Hence, I would only expect the above to mean whilst treating the device with
the care and attention a trained member of shop staff would when opening and
inspecting a (brand new sealed) unit.

In other words, if you can perform only an initial minimal necessary whilst
keeping the item in as received condition (perhaps a clean room with white
lint gloves might be going a bit further than necessary) inspection, such
that when you return it to its packaging it is, within reason, as it came
out, bar some minor rearrangement of the packaging, then that would seem
correct, right and fair enough. I think for example with a DVD-RW where it
may get scratched putting it into its mount, you may start to cross the line
come meet a grey area, which retailers need to and should make clear (very
easily found and clearly in large print presented terms) their
interpretation of this aspect of the regulations or their chosen approach to
it (and cut off point). It is just as easy to test a drive for example
without performing a full, final and permanent installation mounting
first.... Just a bit of a bummer if you assume, believe, think, what have
you that it looks great, etc., reports are good, etc., that it can't
possibly XYZ (be too loud, etc, etc.,) and keenly and enthusiastically
install whatever it may be (obviously still conscientiously and carefully,
etc. but still to leave some mark) only to discover some, for oneself,
significant shortcoming... lol.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old June 5th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Palindrome

News Reader wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

On 3 Jun, 23:58, Palindrome wrote:

News Reader wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

From the DTI website on the DSR:

[...]

You have given your interpretation of the law, DABS gave (and U-turned
on) theirs, the DTR has theirs, etc. Case law will ultimately provide
another.

Dabs seem to have initially applied their standard interpretation but
then agreed with the OP that it shouldn't apply to his "refurbished
goods". I don't think that this will alter in any way their treatment
of purchasers of new goods. Which will remain, "If you use it, it's yours".

--
Sue
Old June 5th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Trev

"News Reader" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 3 Jun, 23:58, Palindrome wrote:
News Reader wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

From the DTI website on the DSR:

[...]

We are into the days of sealed units in shrink wrap or even welded plastic
There is no way you can try an item without damaging the package. So it no
longer appears to be new and the retailer would have to reduce it to resell.
That reduction should come out of you pocket not theirs. Examine does not
meant try before you buy. Some dealers are very happy to take back the
goods you have tried and supply items better suited to your needs. But some
else has to get your goods.

Old June 6th 07, 10:10 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

On 5 Jun, 09:10, "Trev" trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM wrote:
"News Reader" wrote in message

wrote in message
roups.com...
On 3 Jun, 23:58, Palindrome wrote:
News Reader wrote:
roups.com...

http://www.dabs.com/ProductReviews.a...cklinx=4K11(Oh and this
weekend the same unit was sold on eBay for 40 quid more than I paid
Dabs! That's eBay for you)

Hi,

Pleased to hear things have gone well.

From the DTI website on the DSR:

[...]

else has to get your goods.- Hide quoted text -

A further update from the OP

Dabs had the unit collected yesterday.

As I had also raised the matter with Trading Standards. Today I was
contacted by a representative of "Consumers Direct" (set up by the OFT
to handle intial enquiries on behalf of Trading Standards). I was
informed that I was within my rights to demand return under DSR (even
though the packages were opened and would have been if I opened any
sealed packaging).

When I drew the representatives attention to the Dabs conditions of
Sale:
http://www.dabs.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=357
I was further informed tha Dabs conditions of sale are in
contravention of DSR and that they will be referring the matter to
Trading Standards with a view to a possible prosecution.

I found the following guide on the DSR very useful
http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...ral/oft698.pdf

I hold my breath for the refund

Payman

Old June 6th 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Palindrome

wrote:
snip
[...]

There is an interesting post in uk legal, by bcc97, that you may want to
read.
I have copied the contents here, for your convenience:

"If you look at the preamble to the Distance Selling Directive, it's
clear that the main driver behind the right of withdrawal is the fact
that you can't examine goods in a distance contract prior to purchase,
in the same way that you can in a shop.

However, the Articles of the Directive (and consequently the
Regulations) are somewhat more generous to the consumer than this.
The consumer is entitled, unconditionally, to withdraw from
(Directive) or cancel (Regulations) the contract within the specified
time period, merely by serving notice of cancellation. This right is
absolutely unconditional, i.e. it applies even if the consumer has
consumed or destroyed the goods. I imagine that the right is
expressed in the legislation in this way so as to achieve practical
and legal certainty, without having to argue about the precise purpose
of anything the consumer has done in respect of the goods.

Where the contract is cancelled, the consumer is under a duty (both
before and after cancellation) to take reasonable care of the goods
and to restore them to the seller (at the consumer's expense if the
contract specifies this). However, usage of the goods is not
necessarily a breach of this duty.

If the duty is breached, the consumer has not lost the right to cancel
(in fact the duty only effectivley comes into being if the consumer
does cancel). Instead, the consumer may be liable to compensate the
seller for any damage arising from that breach of duty. This damage
may be offset against the refund which is due.

Other member states expressly permit a charge for any use which has
been made, or for depreciation (e.g. Germany, Austria), although these
provisions are arguably inconsistent with the Directive. For more
information, see www.eu-consumer-law.org ."

Not something that I would imagine that many distance selling companies
would like to test in Court.

--
Sue
Old June 13th 07, 02:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

On 6 Jun, 10:37, Palindrome wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Sue- Hide quoted text -

Further update from the OP

I got an apology by email from Dabs.
Credit card refund received in full (including carriage both ways).
I think Dabs cocked up at first and then went overboard trying to
correct their initial mistake, strictly they needn't have paid
carriage.
Trading standards confirmed that Distance Selling Regulations were
definitely on my side whether or not the product had been opened,
switched on etc. My duty was to "take care of the items" purchased.

So worth sticking to your guns and get trading standards and/or the
credit card company involved.
It'd be interesting to see if Dabs do change the return conditions on
their T&C (as it stands they are contrary to the DSR)

Payman