Looking for a new PC

Old November 29th 06, 01:14 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
IE

Default Looking for a new PC

Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.

Ian.

"IE" wrote in message
Hi,

Looking to replace an ageing PIII 450 128 RAM (circa 1999) with something
more powerful that can run Linux (with KDE) comfortably. Budget is £500.

Can anyone suggest what I might buy for this sort of money please?

Processor
to go for? Minimum RAM etc etc?

Many thanks.

Ian.

Old December 1st 06, 10:17 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
IE

One more question...

What processor should I be looking at? AMD Athlon 64 bit, dual core etc etc?

Thanks,.

Ian.

Old December 1st 06, 11:18 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
o'Really

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:17:38 -0000, "IE"
wrote:

One more question...

What processor should I be looking at? AMD Athlon 64 bit, dual core etc etc?

The consensus over in uk.comp.homebuild is that the Core 2 Duo is
significantly better than any AMD offering at the moment (and is
likely to remain so for a while). The E6600 is highly regarded, but
the E6300 makes a good alternative if you are on a budget.

Match this with an Asus P5B Deluxe MB (or the P5B-E if on a tighter
budget) and Corsair memory, and you should have the basis for a very
nive system.
Old December 1st 06, 11:20 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
o'Really

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:18:41 +0000, o'Really o'Really wrote:

The consensus over in uk.comp.homebuild

DOH!!! Should have been uk.comp.homebuilT!
Old December 1st 06, 11:23 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
IE

DOH!!! Should have been uk.comp.homebuilT!

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice/info o'Really.

IE.

Old December 21st 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Mark

On 26 Nov 2006 10:50:04 -0800, wrote:

wrote:

http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/...Code=3362-3304

I bought one of those. Although it is very good value, the after
sales service of this company is useless. It's nearly a month since I
received my PC but they have been completely unable or unwilling to
replace the monitor which was damaged before it got to me.