Is this safe to OC?

Old April 16th 06, 03:56 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default Is this safe to OC?

Hi all,

I have a Packard Bell iMedia 4600 that I salvaged from work. It has the
following specs:

P3 Coppermine @ 750MHz (100x7.5)
2x 128MB PC133 @ 100MHz

There was a sticker on the front saying it was a Celeron 1GHz, but I'm
guessing it had been swapped with the P3. When I ran CPUz just to see what
it came up with, I was surprised to see:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/dogsiwoo/CPU.jpg

Because this is supposedly a 1000MHz CPU, could I raise the FSB to 133MHz
(133x7.5) to gain it again? Or (as I'm guessing the Celeron worked) raise
the Multiplier to 10 (100x10) to get the 1GHz back?

Thanks,

Neil

Old April 16th 06, 07:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Neil Barras wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Packard Bell iMedia 4600 that I salvaged from work. It has the
following specs:

P3 Coppermine @ 750MHz (100x7.5)
2x 128MB PC133 @ 100MHz

There was a sticker on the front saying it was a Celeron 1GHz, but I'm
guessing it had been swapped with the P3. When I ran CPUz just to see what
it came up with, I was surprised to see:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/dogsiwoo/CPU.jpg

Because this is supposedly a 1000MHz CPU, could I raise the FSB to 133MHz
(133x7.5) to gain it again? Or (as I'm guessing the Celeron worked) raise
the Multiplier to 10 (100x10) to get the 1GHz back?

Thanks,

Neil

Intel P3 CPU's are multiplier-locked. Raising the FSB to 133 MHz
might work although frying the CPU is a certain possibility. But
are you sure the computer is not currently being under-clocked?
Verify the specifications of the CPU by looking up its sSpec#.
Moreover, the "EB" labeling indicates that it should be running
on a 133 MHz bus and not at 100 MHz.

Old April 16th 06, 08:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Intel P3 CPU's are multiplier-locked. Raising the FSB to 133 MHz
might work although frying the CPU is a certain possibility. But
are you sure the computer is not currently being under-clocked?
Verify the specifications of the CPU by looking up its sSpec#.
Moreover, the "EB" labeling indicates that it should be running
on a 133 MHz bus and not at 100 MHz.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to find the sSpec# without removing the Heatsink?

Cheers,

Neil

Old April 16th 06, 11:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Neil Barras wrote:

Intel P3 CPU's are multiplier-locked. Raising the FSB to 133 MHz
might work although frying the CPU is a certain possibility. But
are you sure the computer is not currently being under-clocked?
Verify the specifications of the CPU by looking up its sSpec#.
Moreover, the "EB" labeling indicates that it should be running
on a 133 MHz bus and not at 100 MHz.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to find the sSpec# without removing the Heatsink?

Cheers,

Neil

The CPU-Z data indicates with a high degree of probability
that this is a P3-1GHz/133 MHz. And through the process of
elimination, the Intel Pentium III Processor Specification
Update does not even list a P3-750EB CPU. But there are P3-
750/100 MHz CPU's in the FC-PGA packaging having the same
0686h CPUID and cC0 core stepping.

Old April 17th 06, 10:37 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

The CPU-Z data indicates with a high degree of probability
that this is a P3-1GHz/133 MHz. And through the process of
elimination, the Intel Pentium III Processor Specification
Update does not even list a P3-750EB CPU. But there are P3-
750/100 MHz CPU's in the FC-PGA packaging having the same
0686h CPUID and cC0 core stepping.

I've found the Board make (Gigabyte 6WMM7) and have found in their online
manual that the max FSB is 100MHz. As the CPU is multiplier locked, does
that mean I'm stuck with it at 750MHz?

Old April 18th 06, 08:07 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Neil Barras wrote:
The CPU-Z data indicates with a high degree of probability
that this is a P3-1GHz/133 MHz. And through the process of
elimination, the Intel Pentium III Processor Specification
Update does not even list a P3-750EB CPU. But there are P3-
750/100 MHz CPU's in the FC-PGA packaging having the same
0686h CPUID and cC0 core stepping.

I've found the Board make (Gigabyte 6WMM7) and have found in their online
manual that the max FSB is 100MHz. As the CPU is multiplier locked, does
that mean I'm stuck with it at 750MHz?

That's about it. 7.5 times 133.34 MHz FSB equals 1 GHz.
Similarly, 7.5 times 1000 MHz FSB equals 750 MHz.

Old April 18th 06, 09:02 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Neil Barras wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Packard Bell iMedia 4600 that I salvaged from work. It has the
following specs:

P3 Coppermine @ 750MHz (100x7.5)
2x 128MB PC133 @ 100MHz

There was a sticker on the front saying it was a Celeron 1GHz, but I'm
guessing it had been swapped with the P3. When I ran CPUz just to see what
it came up with, I was surprised to see:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/dogsiwoo/CPU.jpg

Because this is supposedly a 1000MHz CPU, could I raise the FSB to 133MHz
(133x7.5) to gain it again? Or (as I'm guessing the Celeron worked) raise
the Multiplier to 10 (100x10) to get the 1GHz back?

I would OC... Looks like a CPU change was made. Your CPU and memory will
probably work and are unlikely to be hurt (do check temps, though), and
your initial investment is small.

--
-bill davidsen )