Locating global data in ELF code on IA64

Old April 12th 06, 04:50 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default Locating global data in ELF code on IA64

Hi,

For my project I want to locate all the global data variables in an ELF
format code. To do this on IA32 and AMD64, we look through the _DYNAMIC
table and locate the relocation table by a d_tag==Elf32_Rel/Elf64_Rela
matching, then go through the relocation table entries and match their
type with R_386_GLOB_DAT/R_X86_64_GLOB_DAT. This mechanism, however,
doesn't work on IA64, because apparently IA64 stores its global data
somewhere else. In the relocation table all I find is function names,
thus there's no global data match.

I was wondering if this is the right direction to go on IA64. Any hint?
Thanks.

C.

Old April 17th 06, 04:01 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Thanks for your response. I'm a bit confused on the details though.
What region ID do you mean exactly? Can you point me to some example
code on how to collect user global variables in IA64+ELF64? I suppose
IA64 runtime still uses _DYNAMIC table to group everything like IA32,
but apparently not any more.