Difference between Serial ATA-300 and SATA-II

Old April 1st 06, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Difference between Serial ATA-300 and SATA-II

I see some disks are SATA-300 and other SATA-II

For example, go to this page at the Dabs site

http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx...154&PageMode=1

and I see there are Serial ATA II and Serial ATA-300

The particular motherboard I am looking at supports SATA-II

Integrated SATA II Controller
• Two integrated dual port SATA II controllers
• Four SATA connectors: up to four drives
• Supports 3.0Gb/s per port
• NvRAID™ v2.0 support
• RAID 0, 1, 0 + 1

Is SATA-II better/worst than SATA-300 ?? Is either one a subset or superset of
the other? What is the difference?
--
Dave K MCSE.

Old April 2nd 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Bob Knowlden wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

Thank you for that link and also to 'dawg'. Both confirm they are the same.

I am building a UNIX workstation and can't make my mind up whether to

1) Go for cheapish SATA
2) Spend the extra money on the 10,000 rpm Western Digital Raptor SATA drives.
3) Buy a *used* 10,000 rpm SCSI drive.

I'm tending to think about the used SCSI route, as I have a lot of SCSI stuff.
It is probably cheaper than one of those Western Digital Raptor drives, but
certainly more expensive than a more typical SATA drive.

Sometimes too much choice is not a good thing!!

dave