Help Selecting a Soundcard

Old November 30th 04, 01:52 AM
The Berzerker

Default Help Selecting a Soundcard

I'm trying to purchase a 5.1 soundcard for my PC, but I'm very confused. My
machine already has 5.1 sound onboard, but it's not 5.1!?!? It has an SPDIF
port, sure and through this it can output DVDs in full 5.1. However, when it
comes to games, it's just not capable. I'm guessing because with the DVD
it's just throwing out raw 5.1 sound, while real-time stuff like games can't
be done that way. Either way, it can't have 5.1 in games, and that's what I
want.

So, you see my problem. I've been browsing around, looking at cards, and I
can never tell whether the card does 'true' 5.1 sound, or is just like what
I've already got.

I've been looking at this.

I can't tell if it's appropriate. It's certainly cheap, and I don't have
lots of money to spend. I've also noticed that it doesn't feature a SPDIF
port, which makes it useless? You're required to connect each speaker
individually to a port, and I can't do that. My 5.1 speaker system (complete
with decoder) requires it be connected via optical or coax. The speakers
simply wouldn't fit into the back of the card if they were to be connected
one by one. What do I do? Is there an alternative model with a SPDIF port? -
so I can just link the card to my decoder?

I'm not really fussed about manufacturer and I'd really, really appreciate
some help.

Thanks. I hope someone can guide me.

Old November 30th 04, 11:00 AM
Lenny

I'm trying to purchase a 5.1 soundcard for my PC, but I'm very confused.
My
machine already has 5.1 sound onboard, but it's not 5.1!?!? It has an
SPDIF
port, sure and through this it can output DVDs in full 5.1. However, when
it
comes to games, it's just not capable.

You have to understand that the SPDIF output is only capable of delivering
the equivalent of one pair of speakers - ie normal stereo. It simply can't
fit any more data through the connection. When you play DVDs and get 5.1
sound through your decoder, that's because the decoder DECODES compressed
audio that's been reduced in size to fit inside a data stream meant for a
stereo left and right speaker pair.

PC games don't generate sound in compressed format (either Dolby Digital -
sometimes called AC3 - or DTS); PC games produce a raw, uncompressed sound
meant to be directly output to speakers. A few sound solutions are then
capable of compressing that multi-channel raw sound into Dolby Digital
format and send it out a SPDIF output to an external decoder - that's the
Nvidia NForce chipset for Athlon XP processors and Intel's new IO Processor
6, part of the i915/i925 chipsets for the Pentium 4.

Either of these solutions require you to at least change motherboard,
perhaps main processor as well, and even memory and graphics card, making it
a very expensive solution just to get multichannel sound through SPDIF.

Most PC surround solutions depend on multiple analog outputs, so if your
decoder doesn't have multiple such inputs then you're scroowd.

If your decoder lacks the analog inputs you'll find on most PC add-in boards
these days, I'd recommend you buy a PC-centric surround sound system.
There's many to be found these days with varying price tags, some featuring
quite powerful amplifiers, some also has built-in SPDIF inputs and decoder
for DD/DTS surround, though you don't really need that as your PC can decode
the sound and send the analog signals to the amp instead.

It all depends on how much moolah you're willing to spend. A Soundblaster
Audigy2 ZS is one of the best add-in soundcards you can find today, and
Creative has some pretty darn nice surround speaker systems too, though I
would suggest Logitech or Videologic instead. Few systems beat the Logitech
Z680s, and they're pretty cheap now too now that the model's being replaced
if you buy from the right place. The new model only brings a different look
to the speakers and a 10" bass speaker compared to "just" 8" in the Z680.

Look around, see what fits your budget. Perhaps ask for more advice, there's
always people willing to help on the internet.

Old November 30th 04, 06:01 PM
Folk

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:52:03 -0000, "The Berzerker"
wrote:

[...]

I concur with Lenny. Spend the extra £20 and get the ZS.

Old November 30th 04, 06:34 PM
The Berzerker

wrote:

I'm trying to purchase a 5.1 soundcard for my PC, but I'm very confused.

My
machine already has 5.1 sound onboard, but it's not 5.1!?!? It has an

SPDIF
port, sure and through this it can output DVDs in full 5.1. However, when

it
comes to games, it's just not capable. I'm guessing because with the DVD
it's just throwing out raw 5.1 sound, while real-time stuff like games

can't
be done that way. Either way, it can't have 5.1 in games, and that's what

want.

So, you see my problem. I've been browsing around, looking at cards, and

can never tell whether the card does 'true' 5.1 sound, or is just like

what
I've already got.

I've been looking at this.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...vd19wcm9kdWN0X

292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=72316

I can't tell if it's appropriate. It's certainly cheap, and I don't have
lots of money to spend. I've also noticed that it doesn't feature a SPDIF
port, which makes it useless? You're required to connect each speaker
individually to a port, and I can't do that. My 5.1 speaker system

(complete
with decoder) requires it be connected via optical or coax. The speakers
simply wouldn't fit into the back of the card if they were to be

connected
one by one. What do I do? Is there an alternative model with a SPDIF

port? -
so I can just link the card to my decoder?

I'm not really fussed about manufacturer and I'd really, really

appreciate
some help.

Thanks. I hope someone can guide me.

I concur with Lenny. Spend the extra £20 and get the ZS.

Aha! So, looking at the card on creative's website

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...product=491 5

Am I mistaken, or are those connections just like the end of a coaxal lead,
and not conventional jack socket things? If so, my speakers will indeed fit
into the back of the card. However...

I will have no way to connect the sub. As it stands my front, center and
rear speakers connect into the back of the sub, the sub the connects via a
DIN port to the input and volume selector. So, I'm stuck?

I'm still god damn confused. My existing 5.1 sound system is the Creative
Labs 5.1 Inspire set (Digital 5500). I'm really annoyed that I can't use my
creative speaker set with my (soon to be) creative sound card. What's up
with that?

I know you're saying I can buy a new set of speakers, but come on! I'm on a
killer tight budget... there must be some way to get these to work together,
and for me to understand what's going on!

Old November 30th 04, 07:05 PM
Lenny

Am I mistaken, or are those connections just like the end of a coaxal
lead,
and not conventional jack socket things?

All jacks on the rear bracket of soundblaster live/audigy cards are 3.5mm
"headphone" style jacks to save space. It's easy to get converter plugs
though at a relativley well-stocked hifi/consumer electronics store or such
if you should need it.

I'm still god damn confused. My existing 5.1 sound system is the Creative
Labs 5.1 Inspire set (Digital 5500). I'm really annoyed that I can't use
my
creative speaker set with my (soon to be) creative sound card. What's up
with that?

Well, you CAN use it, it's just you'll get stereo sound from games and such,
unless it like I previously explained, features the triple analog inputs
needed to deliver surround sound. It just doesn't seem to be designed to do
what you want it to do. Sorry, but it's not our fault.

Old November 30th 04, 08:29 PM
The Berzerker

"Lenny" wrote in message

[...]

Aha!!!!!

If you noted about 3 analog inputs, etc...... I missed it!

I just dug around the back of the decoder, and noted that, wahay, there is a
triple wire thing with 3 jacks, for rear, centre and front. So, by simply
bypassing my existing decoder altogether it will work? The triple things
simply plugs into the soundcard instead of the decoder. Let me confirm this,
so the soundcard is the new decoder? - booka? Sorry if it was obvious, I was
thinking from my existing decoder's point of view, rather than breaking it
down.

Hey! So, once more...... my existing card is 5.1 capable (apparently) -
features the SPDIF port and the same old speaker breakdown, where the ports
suddenly take a second function to connect all speakers..... yet it is
absolutely not capable of 5.1 in games..... due to it not having codec's, or
whatever. For educational purposes, when selecting a soundcard, how the
bloody hell do I tell it's the real deal? Total 5.1 sound from games etc.
Seriously, I'm still confused as to how I'm supposed to know this.

Back to my original soundcard suggestion -

I suggested this...... it does full 5.1 in games etc?

and Folk suggested this

What the bloody hell? What makes the second option twice as expensive? Is it
really worth the cash? I just want good 5.1 in games!?!?!?!!

Please try and answer my many randomly scattered questions. I really do
appreciate it.

Old November 30th 04, 08:53 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

If you need to output 5.1 channels through an individual SPDIF out as a
Dolby Digital signal ( i.e. don't have analogue inputs on yer receiver
), you need a card which supports "Dolby Digital Live" like the recent
Cmedia cards or an nForce 2 mobo with Soundstorm. No Creative card does
this at the moment and according to a recent press release they have no
plans to release such a card.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/product/CMI8768_plus.htm

Should serve yer needs.

Old December 1st 04, 04:10 PM
Lenny

If you noted about 3 analog inputs, etc...... I missed it!

I just dug around the back of the decoder, and noted that, wahay, there is
triple wire thing with 3 jacks, for rear, centre and front. So, by simply
bypassing my existing decoder altogether it will work?

Why don't you just open up your manual that came with the speakers and check
what is supposed to connect where? That would save us all a lot of trouble!

If you have the triple analog inputs on your speaker system, you simply
connect each output on the soundcard to the corresponding input on the
speaker system, then configure your soundcard to use 5.1 speakers. There's
typically an applet provided for that very task delivered with the soundcard
drivers. Sometimes you need to go to the windows control panel and start the
speakers/multimedia applet too and do the same selection there. Then you
should be all set.

Please do note that not all games will use surround sound even if you have a
correctly configured 5.1 speaker system. Sometimes only the front speakers
will be used; it depends on the game title.

Old December 1st 04, 06:27 PM
Folk

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:29:32 -0000, "The Berzerker"
wrote:

Back to my original soundcard suggestion -

I suggested this...... it does full 5.1 in games etc?

and Folk suggested this

What the bloody hell? What makes the second option twice as expensive? Is it
really worth the cash? I just want good 5.1 in games!?!?!?!!

Using Unreal Tournament 2004 (my fave game) as an example, the version
of EAX used is later than what is supported by the original SBLive
card. So if you want full support in all the latest games, then you
need the latest tech. It's not that much different in concept than
video cards, where if you want support for the latest DirectX 9 eye
candy, you need a DX9 capable card. If you want game compatibility
going forward, it would be foolish to buy a Ti4200 today, just as it
would be foolish to buy a SBLive card today.