HP laser or...?

Old February 21st 05, 02:03 PM
Are

Default HP laser or...?

Hi; most people suggest me to buy a laser bw HP instead of Canon, Epson, Oki
or Samsung; it is really that better? What's your opinion?

Old February 21st 05, 04:08 PM
Kevin

HP makes great laser printers. They have for years. I own a Samsung and it
works just fine. You probably can't go wrong if you stay with the big
makers like HP, Epson, Samsung and Canon. Look at features, cartridge cost
and capacity, and warranty terms for comparison.

Old February 21st 05, 11:28 PM
jbuch

Are wrote:
Hi; most people suggest me to buy a laser bw HP instead of Canon, Epson, Oki
or Samsung; it is really that better? What's your opinion?

For many years, HP was generally the better laser printer maker.
Actually, it was HP - Canon because Canon made the "print engines" for
HP and other printers. Actually, Canon made almost everything inside the
original HP laserjets.

HP has made some lesser quality printers known generally as "Personal
Laserjets" and it may be good to avoid any product so labeled today.

I owned several other OLDER laser printers by Ricoh and Epson, and will
never be tempted to buy anything but HP. Oh, I almost was tempted to buy
a Sharp 900 Laser Printer, based upon Sharp being a good electronics
firm...... and you can't even find supplies for Sharp laser printers
today.... dropped out of the business with a poor quality product in
spite of a good electronics name.

Admittedly, with time, other companies CAN develop good laserjet
technologies and good service.

On the other hand, perhaps you have experimented with cheap inkjet
printers and have decided that a no-name printer isn't a good gamble of
your money compared to a BIG BRAND.

If you get a dog of a laser, and it is no from HP, ........

Old February 22nd 05, 09:30 AM
Are

"jbuch" ha scritto nel messaggio

For many years, HP was generally the better laser printer maker. Actually,
it was HP - Canon because Canon made the "print engines" for HP and other
printers. Actually, Canon made almost everything inside the original HP
laserjets.

Ok, so better to avoid HP "personal lj" or Epson stuff, and choose directly
a Canon?

Old February 22nd 05, 03:54 PM
Michael

Are wrote:

"jbuch" ha scritto nel messaggio

For many years, HP was generally the better laser printer maker. Actually,
it was HP - Canon because Canon made the "print engines" for HP and other
printers. Actually, Canon made almost everything inside the original HP
laserjets.

Ok, so better to avoid HP "personal lj" or Epson stuff, and choose directly
a Canon?

Well ... either that or an older HP laser. Truly, the older HP office
lasers are built like battleships (and some even weigh as much as a
battleship). They are built to spit out tens of thousands of pages per
month and to do it for years. Many companies replace office equipment
when it has been amortized, not necessarily because it died, and this
has put many-many HP lasers on the used market. Go for it.
Old February 22nd 05, 04:03 PM
Are

"Michael" ha scritto nel messaggio

Well ... either that or an older HP laser. Truly, the older HP office
lasers are built like battleships (and some even weigh as much as a
battleship). They are built to spit out tens of thousands of pages per
month and to do it for years. Many companies replace office equipment
when it has been amortized, not necessarily because it died, and this
has put many-many HP lasers on the used market. Go for it.

Ok, so ebay? Any good models to look for?

Old February 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
Al Dykes

In article , Michael wrote:
Are wrote:

"jbuch" ha scritto nel messaggio

For many years, HP was generally the better laser printer maker. Actually,
it was HP - Canon because Canon made the "print engines" for HP and other
printers. Actually, Canon made almost everything inside the original HP
laserjets.

Ok, so better to avoid HP "personal lj" or Epson stuff, and choose directly
a Canon?

Well ... either that or an older HP laser. Truly, the older HP office
lasers are built like battleships (and some even weigh as much as a
battleship). They are built to spit out tens of thousands of pages per
month and to do it for years. Many companies replace office equipment
when it has been amortized, not necessarily because it died, and this
has put many-many HP lasers on the used market. Go for it.

The classic HP lasers rerely fail and when they do they are easy to fix.

A couple parts do ware out. The supply tray pickup roller for one.
The part is cheap and easy to replace.

Look at www.fixyourownprinter.com for parts and info on keeping these
things running.

The models that predate energy conservarion are expensive to leave on
all the time, not to mention hot in the summer. I forget when this
feature came into which model, but I'm sure the 4Si is a keeper.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old February 23rd 05, 03:14 PM
Michael

Al Dykes wrote:

In article , Michael wrote:
Are wrote:

[...]

Yeah, a 4-something seems to be the first HP laser with energy
conservation. My LJ-3 seems not to shut down anything. My sister has a
LJ-4 (just 4) but I haven't spent enough time around it to know one way
or the other if it conserves power.
Old February 23rd 05, 03:17 PM
Michael

Are wrote:

"Michael" ha scritto nel messaggio

Well ... either that or an older HP laser. Truly, the older HP office
lasers are built like battleships (and some even weigh as much as a
battleship). They are built to spit out tens of thousands of pages per
month and to do it for years. Many companies replace office equipment
when it has been amortized, not necessarily because it died, and this
has put many-many HP lasers on the used market. Go for it.

Ok, so ebay? Any good models to look for?

www.fixyourownprinter.com offers rebuilt, guaranteed classic LJs
(certain models). I wouldn't consider anything older than a 4. Haven't
done business with them so I can't give a recommendation.
Old February 23rd 05, 03:20 PM
Al Dykes

In article , Michael wrote:
Are wrote:

"Michael" ha scritto nel messaggio

Well ... either that or an older HP laser. Truly, the older HP office
lasers are built like battleships (and some even weigh as much as a
battleship). They are built to spit out tens of thousands of pages per
month and to do it for years. Many companies replace office equipment
when it has been amortized, not necessarily because it died, and this
has put many-many HP lasers on the used market. Go for it.

Ok, so ebay? Any good models to look for?

www.fixyourownprinter.com offers rebuilt, guaranteed classic LJs
(certain models). I wouldn't consider anything older than a 4. Haven't
done business with them so I can't give a recommendation.

If you live near a big town look in the local yellow pages for local
freelance laser printer repair guys. They may referb printers thier
clients have outgrown and sell them.