Case issue

Old December 1st 17, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

Default Case issue

On 01 Dec 2017, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I think I'd just return the case, and get
a case I really want.

You're right, that's the best solution. This is not the case for me and
I would regret keeping it.

It was just such a shock that, not only did the case not have any
front-accesible bays, but that they don't find that fact important
enough to mention it in the ad. And I see many others like it. I guess
I had an inkling that optical and other removable drives are so
populare any more but I didn't realize that they had dropped that far
off the radar.

You can "make" your own optical drive, by buying
a 5.25" enclosure and putting a 5.25" full tray drive
in it.

That was my thought yesterday, but it seems like too much trouble. And
I use an optical drive daily and I'd rather not have that extra box
cluttering up the place.

If you buy pre-packaged "slim" drives, there's
a good chance you'll be throwing out the thing
if it fails.

WHEN it fails! Plus the slim drives are significantly slower.
Old December 1st 17, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

On 12/01/2017 12:46 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

Right, send it back, A case is something you live and work with for a
long time, Choose wisely

I have a Cooler Master CM 690 ll advanced for about 7 years now and I
still love it, solid sides, Thick rubber feet, 6 sidewise drive bays, 4x
5 1/4 bays (I use one) 5x 140 mm fans, front ports and a really useful
2 1/2 inch hotplug bay on top.
All in all a great case.

Rene

Old December 1st 17, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:04:59 -0500, Nil wrote:

| On 01 Dec 2017, Larc wrote in
| alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:
|
| I got this case and am happy with it. 2 external bays that will
| accommodate CD/DVD drives. No side window. I did buy an extra
| fan for the front.
|
| https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129199
|
| That looks pretty good. It's on my list of possibilities. Thank you.
|
| The window isn't something I want, either. The case I got is available
| with or without the window, and I originally had the windowless one in
| my on-line shopping cart. I really don't need to see blinking lights
| and whirling fans. But *JUST* as I was checking out, the price suddenly
| jumped up more than $20! Bad timing! So I went back and bought the one
| with the window, thinking I could cover it up if the light inside
| became annoying.

YW! I notice the case description makes it sound as if it comes with a 120mm fan in
the back and another at the top. That may be an error. Mine came with a front and
rear fan, with options for another in the front (which I added) and a 120 or 140mm at
the top (I kept that closed). There's a readily removable fan screen in front and
another in the bottom for the PSU fan. I clean the front screen every couple of
months, but have never needed to clean the bottom one. If my PSU fan has ever run or
needed to, I wasn't aware of it.

Larc
Old December 1st 17, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 01 Dec 2017, Larc wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I got this case and am happy with it. 2 external bays that will
accommodate CD/DVD drives. No side window. I did buy an extra
fan for the front.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129199

This one's looking better and better. I've been through a couple of
Antec cases and I've been impressed by their quality. My current main
computer, the decade-old one I'm replacing, is in an Antec P100:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129154

Very good case, but I'm downsizing from a full tower to a mid-size
tower.

I guess I'm sticking to what's worked for me best in the past: Intel
CPU, ASUS motherboard, Windows 7, Antec case. I know there are plenty
of new choices these days, and if I had this in mind for a shorter
lifespan, or if I were more budget-minded, I might go with them. I
probably won't get 11+ years out of this new one, but I'm proceding as
if I could.
Old December 2nd 17, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:42:20 -0500, Paul
wrote:

The window would make it more noisy.

A couple of things help computer cases:

1) Mass. A heavy case (with maybe some rubber feet
on the bottom), can damp out vibration a bit.
One of the marks I have against the Lian Li cases
I used to look at in the computer store, is the cases
were all shaky lightweight aluminum cans. And they'd
magnify any noise sources inside.

2) Stiffness. You don't want loose fitting multi-piece-part
designs. Rivets or screws, strategically placed crossbars,
can give a case more strength. Even the drive bays could be
contributing to strength (as the drive bay is a
kind of scaffold in the front of the case).

The window would be an example of a loose-fitting
piece of material. A solid side would be a better
purchase.

I like computer case sides with the pull-out latch handle,
rather than those ones with the knurled screws that are
a bitch to unscrew. The latch handle seems to hold securely
enough that it doesn't rattle. The screw-based ones fit
pretty tight (and sometimes have EMI spring fingers in
the gap, that ensures a tight mechanical connection).

There is a third thing for reducing noise, which is
to add absorbent materials inside the case. But this
also has a tendency to drive up the case air temperature
inside a bit. So that idea isn't all that popular.

If I wanted a silent PC, I'd buy the Intel 2W SDP processor
for $17, plus an SSD. Then I'd have a fanless, vibrationless PC.
But then, I'd have bought a tablet (as that's what they use).
The downside, is the processor is gutless. And once that
is realized, then "we're headed to noise city" to cool
off a better CPU.

Paul

I bought a bag of 50 case thumb-screws ages ago, large ends, big
enough for handling and tightening between thumb and forefinger. Works
good for a three-plane, outside case enclosure that slides over the
and rests over the inside construction, and a useful godsends for
general intents.

My Antec Lanboy, all aluminum, is a 10+/-yr.-old design. The design
implements a decorative window enclosed within one side;- I removed
that whole side, leaving a PS and CPU fan revealed. Original intent
was a cross flow intent, with two fans enclosed, but case fans I've
since engaged for a Scottish coup, of sundry makes and speeds to
select from;- all fans are subsequently largest, practically available
for computer fans, as largess holds some advantage for either direct
speed control modules, if not their physical mass, at an efficacy to
run more cooler at lower RPM.

Figure near enough, $200/US for LIAN LI, across a present discrepancy
accorded pricing for ANTEC flagship cases. A presentment, I dare say,
never having owned much else, but this Antec, where Antec design
engineering is sufficient to sturdy enough;- being entirely aluminum,
of course, it would be better where not the sides of packaging roughed
and kicked-in upon receipt of delivery. Beyond aluminum properties,
would nonetheless does require a certain respect, hands-upon-steel
undeniably will forgive, the adaptation is one which then will quickly
become an apparent advantage, for mass-to-force manual engagements
aluminum offers, especially for those to whom ready access and
sustained upgrade maintenance is further a presiding factor.

The Mylar base stand-offs, for standing the whole of the case upon, I
dispensed with for a folded towel;- a better pivotal functionary
placement, off which to slide the entire assembly, from a desktop
surface, opposite to the removed side, while running or not, for fast
access into inner components and connections.

Near noiseless, despite a bulk of three large, slow-RPM fans, notably
the largest of all, one case fan directly in front of for dedicating
to the HDD array, (dispensing with a backplane fan and cross-flow, at
modest sum total component heat displacement);- there follows an
widely popular "large" OEM CPU cooler;- last, however might that
effect, a range of PS units of perceived quality measured by fan
decibels. The LanBoy build is very modest by standards and
monstrosities taken from yesteryear's noisy, and hot, builds.

My optic drive, the motor is likely disconnected;- I don't offhand
hear it engaging at power-up, or perhaps, if not, for very occasional
usage, being it is rather on the quiet side.

Overall the Ante LanBoy provides a high degree of functionality for
some slight upon appearances;. . .outright safety considerations, no
doubt, for anyone but myself, offhand to consider physically to
engage;- In, of course, a latter manner of personal "shortcuts"
already mentioned, a rote indulgence extensively to exert over a likes
of "dangling" SSDs and such.
Old December 2nd 17, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Nil wrote:

I'm into my computer build (first since 2006!) that I mentioned in a
case I bought from Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352070

I guess I'm behind the times, because I never even consided the
possibility: there are no front-accessible bays to accommodate an
optical disc reader/writer, which I require. I was looking for a case
that was very insulated and quiet and this looked like a good choice,
so now I'm very surprised and disappointed. I have to decide whether to
return it (probably on my dime) or keep it. So...

- I guess I'd be willing to spring for an external USB drive *IF*...
[a] they burn reliable (I guess I still remember the days when the
computer/OS could barely keep up with a burn and you'd get frequent
crap-outs during a write operation). and [b] are the drives within the
caddys replaceable? In my experience, optical (CD/DVD) burners have a
short lifespan and must be replaced every few years. But internal
drives are cheap, so it was no big deal - I consider them to be
consumable items. So, if I can replace the drives in the USB caddys for
$10 - $15, that's acceptible. If I have to replace the whole caddy for
$20 - $40, that's not so acceptible.

The images at Newegg don't even show a drive cage, so how are you going
to mount the HDDs or SSDs? Are you going with an M.2 SSD drive in a
slot on the mobo? Without any moving drives, yeah, much easier to rate
a case as "quiet". The case might be quiet but where is that big block
of triple-fan cooled radiator going to reside for the water cooling?

Ah, one of the pics show where the SSDs mount. Its a recess in the
backside/rightside panel and in front of the PSU at the bottom. That
explains the lack of a drive cage. Oh oh, better make sure the PSU you
get has bearing types that allow its intake fan to run upside down.
Well, with no drive cage then just how are you going to mount any drives
where there would normally be internal drives with an external access
(in the front of the case)? There's no hardware there to which you can
attach any drives (or any devices with an external front-side, like for
memory card slots, fan controllers, and other non-drive gizmos requiring
front-panel access where would be a drive cage behind).

The case is quiet because it doesn't provide for installation of optical
drives - a noisy device. There's no drive cage! Well, you could go
with an external USB3-attached optical disc drive; see
http://tinyurl.com/y8t3gjp3. Attach it when you need it. Stow in a
desk drawer or leave on the desk or atop the computer case when you're
not using it.

Lucky for you, it is a compact ATX case. The PSU mounts at the bottom.
There could be problems with the PSU's cables reaching all the mobo's
connectors (or drives if this case can house any) with a mid-size case.
Maybe a compact case ensures the PSU cables will be long enough.
Old December 2nd 17, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 01 Dec 2017, VanguardLH wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

The images at Newegg don't even show a drive cage, so how are you
going to mount the HDDs or SSDs?

Scroll down farther - you'll see that hard disks go downstairs, next to
the PSU. SSDs mount on the back wall.

Any way, I'm not going to mount anything. I'm returning it and getting
a different case.
Old December 2nd 17, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Nil wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

The images at Newegg don't even show a drive cage, so how are you
going to mount the HDDs or SSDs?

Scroll down farther - you'll see that hard disks go downstairs, next to
the PSU. SSDs mount on the back wall.

Already noted that in my first reply and why those spots are not usable
for an optical disc drive but you could use a USB-attached one. With
the theoretical limits of 6 Gbps for SATA3 and 5 Gbps for USB3, you
would probably no real difference in performance of an external USB3
optical drive over an internal SATA3 optical drive.

Although I put one into my build, I rarely use the optical drive. Was
used to install the OS (burned from an ISO image) and to rip my music
CDs to USB flash drives. Don't recall using it for anything else since
disc capacity is too small compared to alternatives.
Old December 3rd 17, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
David Samuel Barr

Just tossing in my two cents, I've had a
Cooler Master Elite 330 which has served
me well for over ten years. Front bays,
good cooling (though I did add a front
fan), rather quiet, easy to work with,
overall couldn't ask for better. That
original model has been discontinued but
apparently there's a newer 330U which
relocates the power supply from the top
to the bottom of the case and allows
fans to be added to the side vents.
Both models accommodate long cards.

wrote:
| | | I'm into my computer build (first since 2006!) that I
mentioned in a | | previous thread. Parts are on their way, and the
first to arrive was a | | case I bought from Newegg:
| | | |
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352070
consided the | | possibility: there are no front-accessible bays to
accommodate an | | optical disc reader/writer, which I require. I
was looking for a case | | that was very insulated and quiet and
this looked like a good choice, | | so now I'm very surprised and
disappointed. I have to decide whether to | | return it (probably on
my dime) or keep it. So...
| | I got this case and am happy with it.Â* 2 external bays that
will accommodate CD/DVD
| drives.Â* No side window.Â* I did buy an extra fan for the front.
| | https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129199
| | Larc
| | I like the side-load trays on mine.
| | https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA6ZP3KT7120
| | https://images10.newegg.com/producti...129-086-15.jpg
| | By pulling the trays out of two machines, I have
| a total of eight trays to rotate through there.

The P100 also has side-load trays that accommodate 3.5" and 2.5" drives.

I like the Sonata Proto as well and have it for my bedroom PC.Â* 2
minor shortcomings
(IMO) are having to open the door to access the start button and the
bottom mount for
a 2.5" drive.Â* But there's an excellent cheap option to overcome the
latter item.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817994162

I've tried costlier brackets that weren't nearly as good and easy.

Larc

Taking the door off mine, was the very first step :-)
Just the hinge sits there flapping in the breeze.

On an earlier Sonata, I removed the bottom front bezel
for better cooling.

I usually mod them a bit when I get them.

I removed that stupid dust filter. If I didn't,
I'd be cleaning that filter every three months.

Still, it's a nice case, compared to some other
things I could have bought at the time.

Selecting computer cases is really time consuming.
I don't wanna cut myself on some "soup tin" case.
The reports of cases arriving with the side kicked
in because they were too thin, doesn't impress me
either. I think some of my earlier cases had 1mm
thick sides on them, but the Sonata isn't quite
as thick.

My very best case, is a piece of junk :-) However,
I'm attached to it, mainly because of my
"after-the-fact" discoveries about it. One day I
was working on it, when it occurred to me "is that
a motherboard tray I'm looking at" ? And sure enough,
the thing had a removable tray, so you could easily
get the motherboard out from the "wrong" side of the case.
The second thing that was super-cool about that case,
is the drive bays are arranged in such a way, that
a really long video card would fit. And when I originally
got the thing, I really dumped on it, thinking it was
crap. But in fact it had a pretty decent feature
set. Since my very first PC was built up at the
computer store, I didn't get all the promotional
material I might collect when I build them myself.
So I don't have the box the computer case came
in, and there's no branding stamped on it either.
But it's turned out to be pretty sweet to work on,
even if it's really old looking.

Â*Â* Paul