new version 57 of FireFox today

Old November 15th 17, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default new version 57 of FireFox today

Well, I got the new version 57 of FireFox today. New and Improved with
all new Quantum technology (whatever the crap that is). It is
noticeably faster and has new color skins (blander, much blander). It
appears that each webpage has its own process now plus a couple of more
for good luck.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

The only sad thing is that I lost my Autofill add-on.
https://firefox.add0n.com/autofill-forms.html

My Ublock Origin adblocker XXXXXX wide spectrum blocker did update also.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#ublock-origin

Recommended. Bring lots of memory !

BTW, I am running the x64 version of FireFox on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB
of ram.

Lynn
Old November 15th 17, 07:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:
Well, I got the new version 57 of FireFox today. New and Improved with
all new Quantum technology (whatever the crap that is). It is
noticeably faster and has new color skins (blander, much blander). It
appears that each webpage has its own process now plus a couple of more
for good luck.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

The only sad thing is that I lost my Autofill add-on.
https://firefox.add0n.com/autofill-forms.html

My Ublock Origin adblocker XXXXXX wide spectrum blocker did update also.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#ublock-origin

Recommended. Bring lots of memory !

BTW, I am running the x64 version of FireFox on Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB
of ram.

Lynn

You should see how many Yahoo News web pages it can load
before it runs out of RAM.

Paul
Old November 15th 17, 01:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 23:10:14 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

Well, I got the new version 57 of FireFox today. New and Improved with
all new Quantum technology (whatever the crap that is). It is
noticeably faster and has new color skins (blander, much blander).

If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
because of the poor performance.

--
If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Old November 15th 17, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PeterC

wrote:

Well, I got the new version 57 of FireFox today. New and Improved with
all new Quantum technology (whatever the crap that is). It is
noticeably faster and has new color skins (blander, much blander).

If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
because of the poor performance.

Same here. Tried Cyberfox, but it took ~5s to open and then ~5s to load
Startpage.
Went to Pale Moon, ~2s to open and ~3s to load Startpage.
The new Fx is about 3s and ready to go, but it uses a lot more RAM than PM.
There's also the issue of few useful extensions, so it's clunky to use, e.g.
R-click-L-click done with Fire Gestures installed. There a lots of things
that I'd need to make me change - like 4GB RAM extra - on a 32-bit OS!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old November 16th 17, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

wrote:

Well, I got the new version 57 of FireFox today. New and Improved with
all new Quantum technology (whatever the crap that is). It is
noticeably faster and has new color skins (blander, much blander).

If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
because of the poor performance.

.... although I am getting wierd problems with colours and 'shadows' on
videos with it.

--
If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Old November 20th 17, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 15/11/2017 6:31 PM, Mark wrote:
If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
because of the poor performance.

I never had any problems with Firefox performance (until it started
filling up RAM). My main problem now is that a lot of useful little
add-ons have stopped working with little prospect of being replaced in
the paradigm.

Yousuf Khan

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop
Old November 20th 17, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PeterC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:51:21 +0600, Yousuf Khan wrote:

On 15/11/2017 6:31 PM, Mark wrote:
If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
because of the poor performance.

I never had any problems with Firefox performance (until it started
filling up RAM). My main problem now is that a lot of useful little
add-ons have stopped working with little prospect of being replaced in
the paradigm.

Yousuf Khan

I started using Fx 57 at about Beta 10. Much faster than previous versions
but still used a lot of RAM - about 700MB just to open up.
Couldn't find many extensions that worked, especially those that make it
useable (mouse and keyboard mainly, with some GUI).

Anyway, Moonchild's Basilisk is available in Alpha form: it's as fast as
Quantum and opens on about 300MB of RAM. It seems to use some more as tabs
are open and release it as tabs are closd.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Basilisk.shtml
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old November 20th 17, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:51:21 +0600, Yousuf Khan wrote:

| On 15/11/2017 6:31 PM, Mark wrote:
| If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
| because of the poor performance.
|
| I never had any problems with Firefox performance (until it started
| filling up RAM). My main problem now is that a lot of useful little
| add-ons have stopped working with little prospect of being replaced in
| the paradigm.

I like the new version even though a couple of my add-ons aren't working anymore. One
kept the tab hidden when there was only one, which meant I never saw an ugly tab
since my settings allow only one (everything in Options Tabs unchecked). But I can
put up with a single tab now to get the increased speed and ability to handle even 4k
videos without stuttering.

Larc
Old November 22nd 17, 11:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 20/11/2017 12:45 PM, PeterC wrote:
Anyway, Moonchild's Basilisk is available in Alpha form: it's as fast as
Quantum and opens on about 300MB of RAM. It seems to use some more as tabs
are open and release it as tabs are closd.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Basilisk.shtml

Is it based on the newer Firefox Quantum or the older engine? Does it
run previous add-ons?

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop