FireWire 400 (IEEE 1394

Old October 24th 17, 10:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default FireWire 400 (IEEE 1394

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 13:44:45 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 02:37:27 -0500, wrote:

I have however learned a new trick. I can take the drives from that slow
machine, connect a USB connector and power supply to them, and copy them
using my faster XP machine. I do however wonder if using USB2 is as
accurate, and since I have to physically change cables and all of that,
I usually just use the USB1.1 and let it run slow.

What makes you think that USB 1.1 is any more error free than 2 or
even 3? I remember reading that USB 3 uses some error correcting
techniques that reduces the "effective" transfer rate to much less
than the theoretical, but it's still much faster than USB 2. I don't
know if USB 2 uses similar corrective measures or not, or if USB 1
does also. Do you know? I've looked but can't find anything that says
either is more error-free.

In all honesty, I am at the mercy of those who know this stuff better
than myself. I am pretty good at updating, expanding, and even building
my own desktop systems, but I am far from being an expert. This computer
I am using is 17 years old, but I've changed darn near everything except
the motherboard. It has the maximum RAM, an oversized power supply, and
every drive has been changed. Currently the old floppy drive is dead and
I just ordered another one of them. Yet, for it's age, it works well, at
least for Win98 (and Win2000 dualboot). I only use Win2000 for accessing
my USB portable drives for backup purposes. I dont use it for much else.
I like Win98 the best. If I want something more advanced, I will use XP
on a different computer. Win2000 is lost somewhere between these two,
and dont offer me much. If I thought this machine had the power, I'd
replace W2000 with XP on this machine, but I think I lack enough power
to make XP run efficiently.

IEEE 1394 [email protected] General 0 April 24th 05 09:06 PM
IEEE 1394 [email protected] General 0 April 23rd 05 09:54 AM
IEEE 1394 problem Skjoldmø Homebuilt PC's 2 January 28th 04 06:57 AM
firmware for external firewire (IEEE-1394 911) hdd case T.G. Homebuilt PC's 0 January 1st 04 01:52 PM
IEEE-488 (GPIB) and IEEE-1394 (FireWire) Some One General 1 August 10th 03 09:31 PM