Can't cancel print job

Old April 1st 15, 01:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart[_3_]

Default Can't cancel print job

I have a Dell 2330 printer networked to a Windows XP computer. A print job
failed part way through (Firmware error on printer) and I cannot delete it
from the print queue.

I have re-set the computer, I've even tried to de-install the Dell
aplications, which deleted everything except the particular version of the
printer (PS3), but still it sits there.

Everytime I re-set the computer and the printer it tries to print the file
again.

Help

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Old April 1st 15, 01:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

On 4/1/2015 8:14 AM, Stuart wrote:
I have a Dell 2330 printer networked to a Windows XP computer. A print job
failed part way through (Firmware error on printer) and I cannot delete it
from the print queue.

I have re-set the computer, I've even tried to de-install the Dell
aplications, which deleted everything except the particular version of the
printer (PS3), but still it sits there.

Everytime I re-set the computer and the printer it tries to print the file
again.

Help

There are a couple of things you can do.

1st: Go to Printer and open the print buffer for the printer you are
using. Delete the bad print job.

2nd: With the file removed from the computer print buffer, un plug the
print count to 100, and plug it in. Most computer have some memory for
storing the print job on the printer. By unplugging it and waiting,
the printer memory will be erased. I always considered this as doing a
Lobotomy. Periodically I have had to do it on every piece of
computerized equipment I have ever used.

3rd: If this computer is being accessed from the LAN, find the print
server and unplug it count to 100 and then plug it in. There is memory
in the print server that has to be erased. Once this is done repeat the
2nd item above, as the print server may have sent the print job to the
printer.
Old April 1st 15, 02:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Stuart"

I have a Dell 2330 printer networked to a Windows XP computer. A print job
failed part way through (Firmware error on printer) and I cannot delete it
from the print queue.

I have re-set the computer, I've even tried to de-install the Dell
aplications, which deleted everything except the particular version of the
printer (PS3), but still it sits there.

Everytime I re-set the computer and the printer it tries to print the file
again.

Help

The question is where is the job stuck in the Queue ?
On the WinXP Print Server or on the PC using the XP UNC ?

In either case. open the Queue and choose "Delete" to delete it from them
queue.

Then on each PC ( the Print Service WinXP PC and the PC printing to it )
open a Command Prompt and type..

net stop spooler

{ let that complete then type }

net start spooler

Then refresh the view of the Print Queue and if the job is still there
delete it again

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old April 1st 15, 04:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
Keith Nuttle wrote:
There are a couple of things you can do.

1st: Go to Printer and open the print buffer for the printer you are
using. Delete the bad print job.

2nd: With the file removed from the computer print buffer,

un plug the print count to 100,

Sorry do not understand this, what is the print count?

and plug it in. Most computer have some memory for
storing the print job on the printer. By unplugging it and waiting,
the printer memory will be erased. I always considered this as doing a
Lobotomy. Periodically I have had to do it on every piece of
computerized equipment I have ever used.

3rd: If this computer is being accessed from the LAN, find the print
server and unplug it count to 100 and then plug it in. There is memory
in the print server that has to be erased. Once this is done repeat the
2nd item above, as the print server may have sent the print job to the
printer.

Sorry Keith but you are going to have to simplify these instructions a bit
for an old duffer like me.

From the beginning:

I sent a job to the printer and part way through it stopped. I went to the
printer and it said "Firmware error" I turned the power off, counted to 10
and turned it back on again and all seemed normal but printing did not
restart.

(X) I went back to the computer and nothing was happening. I went to
"printers and faxes" and when the window opened, I opened the printer,
selected the document (there was only one) and selected "cancel". It said
"deleting" but nothing happened. After several minutes, and I do mean
minutes, it was still sitting there saying "deleting" At this point I
turned the computer off.

After the computer had come back on, it started printing the document
again, from the beginning, then stopped at the same point. The printer was
again showing "Firmware error". I re-set the printer once more.

Now go back to (X) and repeat the loop several times

At this point I invoked Dell's de-installer but the "PS3" instance was
greyed out. (The printer shows up with three identities, PCL, XML and PS3)

I went ahead anyway

However I still have the printer (PS3) showing a document In the "Printers
and faxes" window and I still cannot cancel it.

There is no print server involved. We have this XP machine, a W7 machine,
a couple of NAS boxes, this Dell laser and an Epson WF-7515 (both printers
have built in network ports), a router and a couple of switches.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

cancel 8Mzeh.627$Ft4.205@trnddc02 Roscoe Nvidia Videocards 0 December 9th 06 02:59 PM
Anyone usd DSL Warehouse, wonder whether to cancel? John Perry UK Computer Vendors 2 May 25th 05 10:05 PM
cancel an order?? MikeJohnes Dell Computers 3 January 14th 05 11:11 PM
Can you cancel a set up? John General 3 May 31st 04 02:43 PM
Cancel order ?? Chris UK Computer Vendors 9 July 25th 03 11:22 PM