Ink cartridges with old dates?

Old August 24th 14, 04:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hactar

Default Ink cartridges with old dates?

In article ,
Ant wrote:
I rarely print. Maybe a few pages per month. Hence, why I had this
almost two/2 years old ink cartridge. I managed to get HP to mail me a
replacement for free.

My last inkjet (HP Deskjet 1200C) used separate cartridges, and they
would crust over if you didn't print at least a few pages per month.
The last time, I couldn't get the cartridges to come back. I made a file
with full-sheet grids in C, M, Y, and K (offset so I could see them
individually), and printed that a bunch of times. No dice.

--
-eben P ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
Old August 24th 14, 05:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Moe Trin[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.periphs.printers, in article
, Ant wrote:

(I wrote):

]I've had good luck with "remanufactured" (meaning refilled) cartridges
]from both OfficeMax and Staples. Both will "buy" old/empty original,
]which further reduces the costs.

]Phil, depending on the amount of ink you use, you may want to compare
]prices at Frys Electronics as well as the office supply and
]department stores (typical 2 pack retail) verses a "bulk" package
](I've seen packages of 10) at a warehouse type stores like Costco.

I rarely print. Maybe a few pages per month. Hence, why I had this
almost two/2 years old ink cartridge.

Yeah, your best bet is probably to wait four or five months AFTER you
replace the cartridge before buying a 2-pack replacement (but check the
dates on the package when you do so). As above, I'd suggest looking at
the refilled versions. I'm retired now, and my monthly printing page
count has dropped dramatically, so I know where you're coming from.

In your reply to riserman, you mention a color cartridge and think
about buying a laser printer as a replacement. Black/white lasers are
"relatively" inexpensive, and toner costs CAN be low (especially if
you buy bulk toner and refill your own). Color lasers on the other
hand are substantially more expensive than color ink-jets, even when
you factor in the costs of toner vs. cartridges. If your color use is
relatively low, it's going to take a long time to recoup the purchase
of a laser printer price compared to the extortionist price for the
ink-jet cartridges. This is a good example of the "cost of an electric
razor verses the cost of razor blades" business model developed from
King Gillette's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_C._Gillette) idea.

Old guy
Old August 24th 14, 08:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 8/24/2014 8:34 AM PT, Hactar typed:

I rarely print. Maybe a few pages per month. Hence, why I had this
almost two/2 years old ink cartridge. I managed to get HP to mail me a
replacement for free.

My last inkjet (HP Deskjet 1200C) used separate cartridges, and they
would crust over if you didn't print at least a few pages per month.
The last time, I couldn't get the cartridges to come back. I made a file
with full-sheet grids in C, M, Y, and K (offset so I could see them
individually), and printed that a bunch of times. No dice.

Wow. I print more black than colors for my printings. For me, my
printer just refuses to use the cartridge and told me to re(place/move)
it.
--
"Ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight. And your monitor is
missing. Time to bring out the bugspray." --BBspot's Geek Horoscopes
Old August 24th 14, 08:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 8/22/2014 6:35 PM PT, Moe Trin typed:

or the other vendor you buy from. I've had good luck with
"remanufactured" (meaning refilled) cartridges from both OfficeMax
and Staples. Both will "buy" old/empty original, which further
reduces the costs.

So if I sell my ink cartridges to Staples/OfficeMax, will they refill
them right away?
--
"Ants die in sugar." --Malawi
Old August 24th 14, 08:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 8/24/2014 9:32 AM PT, Moe Trin typed:
Yeah, your best bet is probably to wait four or five months AFTER you
replace the cartridge before buying a 2-pack replacement (but check the
dates on the package when you do so). As above, I'd suggest looking at
the refilled versions. I'm retired now, and my monthly printing page
count has dropped dramatically, so I know where you're coming from.

Hmm, any good sellers with refilled cartridges from Amazon? I think I
tried one before, but its color outputs weren't good (color losses).

In your reply to riserman, you mention a color cartridge and think
about buying a laser printer as a replacement. Black/white lasers are
"relatively" inexpensive, and toner costs CAN be low (especially if
you buy bulk toner and refill your own). Color lasers on the other
hand are substantially more expensive than color ink-jets, even when
you factor in the costs of toner vs. cartridges. If your color use is
relatively low, it's going to take a long time to recoup the purchase
of a laser printer price compared to the extortionist price for the
ink-jet cartridges. This is a good example of the "cost of an electric
razor verses the cost of razor blades" business model developed from
King Gillette's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_C._Gillette) idea.

I will check out laser printers when this old inkjet finally dies.
For now, I will keep using it since it can still print B&W. I am waiting
for my tri-color 97 replacement from HP in about a week. :/
--
"Ants never lend, ants never borrow." --unknown
Old August 25th 14, 06:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Moe Trin[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.periphs.printers, in article
, Ant wrote:

Moe Trin typed:

I've had good luck with "remanufactured" (meaning refilled)
cartridges from both OfficeMax and Staples. Both will "buy"
old/empty original, which further reduces the costs.

So if I sell my ink cartridges to Staples/OfficeMax, will they refill
them right away?

You mean "refill while you wait"? No - While refilling isn't all that
complicated/messy, it's not something they're set up to do. You turn
in the old ones - they give you a "store credit" coupon, which you can
then use to purchase stuff in the store. (I must admit that I have not
paid close attention to the coupon, and don't know if it's only good at
"this" store, or all stores in the chain, much less how long the coupon
is good for. I redeem it on the same store visit, most commonly for
replacement cartridges. I know of someone who apparently discovered a
"used inkjet cartridges" mine, and had accumulated enough store credits
that he then used to buy a low end ASUS laptop.) The old cartridges
are put in a bin or box and then sent to some central facility where
they are cleaned/refilled/tested/repackaged and then distributed back
to the stores like normal merchandise.

Old guy