age of my printer?

Old July 11th 14, 10:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hactar

Default age of my printer?

My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

--
-eben P ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
Old July 12th 14, 02:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

On 07/11/2014 02:20 PM, Hactar wrote:
My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

try google and/or wiki...
Old July 12th 14, 02:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

On 7/11/2014 9:00 PM, jeff g. wrote:
On 07/11/2014 02:20 PM, Hactar wrote:
My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

try google and/or wiki...

It may not be as old as you think. I was surprise that dot matrix
prints were still being sold in those areas that require multipart form.
Old July 12th 14, 04:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hactar

In article ,
Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 7/11/2014 9:00 PM, jeff g. wrote:
On 07/11/2014 02:20 PM, Hactar wrote:
My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

try google and/or wiki...

It may not be as old as you think. I was surprise that dot matrix
prints were still being sold in those areas that require multipart form.

The fact that it had been disused by the donor for a while before he gave
it to me ~3 years ago implies it's at least a decade old. As you say
though, nowhere near her age.

Old July 12th 14, 08:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"Hactar" wrote in message
My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

--
-eben P ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

If there is an FCC ID number that may tell you when it was first produced.

Old July 12th 14, 09:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Moe Trin[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.periphs.printers, in
article , Hactar wrote:

Keith Nuttle wrote:

jeff g. wrote:

Hactar wrote:

My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got
it from my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it.
I've replaced several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find
out how old it actually is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether
it was older than she is, which got me wondering. Heck, it might
be.

Possible, but not all that likely

try google and/or wiki...

It may not be as old as you think. I was surprise that dot matrix
prints were still being sold in those areas that require multipart
form.

That was mentioned in another newsgroup - a (new) car dealer was using
one to print up the contracts and documents pertaining to sale of a
new car. The printer was a Panasonic that was over 27 years old.

The fact that it had been disused by the donor for a while before he
gave it to me ~3 years ago implies it's at least a decade old.

Look at the data/serial-number plate for hints. A better check is to
look at the electronic parts - things like microcircuits. They will
almost always have a manufacturing date code in the form YYWW,
where YY is the last two of the year, and WW is the week number. This
code is stamped on the top of the chips, along with the part number.
As most component manufacturers and distributors and most equipment
manufacturers don't keep a large stock on hand, the chip date code is
likely to be 1 to 6 months or so before the manufacture date of the
printer. I'm looking at an old Seagate hard disk drive that I know
I bought in May 1990, and the chips show date codes from 8950 to 9007.
(i.e. end of December 1989 to mid-February 1990).

Old guy
Old July 12th 14, 10:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Hactar wrote:
My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. [...]
How do I find out how old it actually is?

Google has digitized a bunch of old computer magazines, so for
reasonably popular hardware, you can often find old ads that will
give you an approximate date. Searching "citizen gsx-230" (with the
quote marks) at http://books.google.com finds mentions in PC Magazine
from November 1992 to March 1994. So, roughly 20 or 21 years.

The advertised prices in 1993 and 1994 ranged from about $230 to $260.
Per the US CPI, that's roughly $380 to $430 today.

If you want to know how old exactly, unplug it, take the housing off,
and look at the date codes on the chips, as has already been posted.

Matt Roberds

Old July 13th 14, 02:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Hactar"

My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

Look at the manufacturer sticker on the appliance.

My HP 1100 Laser has it printed on the rear label as manufactured; August
17, 1999.

Look on the inside. Manufacturers always print referencing material of some
kind. If not the manuafctured date a relative date.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old July 13th 14, 02:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Yianni[_3_]

"Hactar" wrote in message
My printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) is second hand. I got it from
my friend's dad several years after HE stopped using it. I've replaced
several ribbons, but nothing else. How do I find out how old it actually
is? My wife (b 1983) wondered whether it was older than she is, which
got me wondering. Heck, it might be. I have Linux, if that matters.

--
-eben P ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

It's same engine as Citizen Swift 24. I think these printers were in use in
1984.