Major PC hardware failure

Old April 7th 11, 04:21 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Puddin' Man

Default Major PC hardware failure

Greetings,

I built a pc around Pentium cpu, Intel D865GVHZ board, Antec case/PS back in '06.
Have been running it about 16 hours/day ever since.

Whilst running a backup Sunday, I heard a constant little tic-tic, tic-tic,
tic-tic sound, looked down to find Speedfan registered about 74 C., then watched
the W2k system crash.

I immediately suspected a cpu fan failure, but all fans were running when I checked.
I've now replaced the cpu fan/heat-sink and the power supply.

The system gives the following message:

"The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
Service the unit right away to resolve this"

and soon shuts down all power.

I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
Any/all help would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Puddin'

Old April 7th 11, 05:34 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 06/04/2011 11:21 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
The system gives the following message:

"The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
Service the unit right away to resolve this"

and soon shuts down all power.

I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
Any/all help would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Puddin'

Check out this posting:

CPU was shutdown due to a thermal event (Overheating) - GIDForums
"The problem was with the power pin connecting to the motherboard.
It was not proper, and is too hot, which caused all these problems."
http://www.gidforums.com/t-8183.html

It seems perhaps the power supply was faulty.

Yousuf Khan
Old April 7th 11, 06:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Puddin' Man

I noticed that post last night.

I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.

How to reset Vcore???

Thanks,

Old April 8th 11, 12:25 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 07/04/2011 1:28 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
I noticed that post last night.

I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.

How to reset Vcore???

Thanks,

Perhaps it's a contact on the motherboard itself? Maybe a soldier broke
and lost contact?

Yousuf Khan
Old April 19th 11, 04:18 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Puddin' Man

No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

Thx,

Old April 20th 11, 06:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/04/2011 11:18 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

Yousuf Khan
Old June 7th 11, 09:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Puddin' Man

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:28:11 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

On 18/04/2011 11:18 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

The 1st (original) PSU.

The board wouldn't power with a replacement PSU.

The system is dead, kaput, und Pues Muerta!

But I recovered 95+% of my data.