SSD: How much space for cache?

Old May 31st 11, 11:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Craig Coope

Default SSD: How much space for cache?

Hi,

I'm about to set up an HDD and an SSD with Intel Smart Response
Technology. My SSD is 60Gig and I only bought it for the ISRT purpose.

My question is: Do I need to allocate the whole SSD for the cache? Or
would it be a waste of 60gig?

Should I allocated 20gig and use the remaining for other apps etc?

Thanks.

--
The Zero ST

--
The Zero ST
Old June 1st 11, 01:46 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
(PeteCresswell)

Per Craig Coope:

My question is: Do I need to allocate the whole SSD for the cache? Or
would it be a waste of 60gig?

Should I allocated 20gig and use the remaining for other apps etc?

I don't know enough to parse "cache", but I do have an SSD as my
"System" disc. BTW it's the biggest performance gain I've seen
from any modification I've done.

Can't recall the exact nominal size, but I have it partitioned
into 48.8 gigs of "C:" (System drive) and 25.7 gigs of "D:" for
Data.

Actually, all my "real" data is on a NAS box... but my practice
has always been to partition a drive like that so that the
system/applications are in one place and everything else is
elsewhere - so that I can take an image and restore that image at
any time with no loss of data.

For the Windows XP and the applications I run 48.8 gigs is
probably wretched excess. I've built an XP system with as
little as 5 gigs and suspect 30 would be more like it for a
generous allocation. Right now, it's showing 28.6 gigs unused
out of those 48.8 - and only 32 megs are used by the #NtUninstall
folders.

But I have Windows Updates turned on - and each update eats a
little more space until I think to delete the backup files. A
little extra giggage increases the time between when those
deletes are needed - although it is already a very, very long
time even with 30 gigs.
--
PeteCresswell