Intel's new 3D transistors will leave competiton for dead

Old May 24th 11, 03:51 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Default Intel's new 3D transistors will leave competiton for dead

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 11-05-13 11:03 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
This is one of the biggest breakthroughs in integrated circuits
since I don't know when.
In 2020 we will have the equivalent of a pizzabox cluster rack
on a single package the size of today's i7.
Mind-boggling indeed.

Might wanna wait until it actually comes out before passing judgement.
Sometimes these announcements' biggest benefit is just the announcement
itself.

The benefit that Intel is touting here is that it'll have a
fully-depleted channels. Well other technologies have provided these
similar benefits such FDSOI (Fully Depleted Silicon On Insulator)
technology.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-b...ns-on-at-22-nm

Now, it might be a bigger advantage than FDSOI, we won't know that until
comparisons can be made.

The one advantage I took from the various releases was low cost manufacturing
using (mostly) established processes and equipment. If that prediction turns out
to be correct, then it would seem to have a market advantage.

I freely admit I haven't followed SOI of any kind in ages, and press releases
are written by optimists and filtered through mostly tech challenged publication
channels, but Intel does have a pretty good record of getting things from the
lab to the market, even if the market sometimes rejects the idea of change.

The most interesting thing to me was the implication that power efficiency was
going to be better. I definitely see that as becoming more important than raw
speed gains in both cloud and home markets. And Intel is putting more effort
into trying to compete with ARM, as people buy more toys, low power is critical.

Old May 28th 11, 04:33 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 5/24/2011 10:51 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
The one advantage I took from the various releases was low cost
manufacturing using (mostly) established processes and equipment. If
that prediction turns out to be correct, then it would seem to have a
market advantage.

Well, it's an advantage for Intel vs. Intel's current manufacturing
process. AMD has been using SOI for most of this decade, so they have a
different manufacturing process, so FinFET technology is not so
necessary for them. It seems FinFET and SOI address the same problems,
although it's not inconceivable that you can combine both of them, and
get a bigger effect from them.

The most interesting thing to me was the implication that power
efficiency was going to be better. I definitely see that as becoming
more important than raw speed gains in both cloud and home markets. And
Intel is putting more effort into trying to compete with ARM, as people
buy more toys, low power is critical.

I don't think Intel will be able to compete against ARM in ARM's market
any more than ARM will be able to compete against Intel in Intel's
market. There is some talk that Apple may put one of its ARM chips in
one of its next generation laptops. I figure that'll probably be a
success, simply because of the Apple legions willing to buy anything
Apple puts out. However, I doubt it's going to anything more than an
Apple-only phenomenon, much like the tablet market. A lot of new tablets
out, but few successes beyond Apple's Ipad.

Yousuf Khan