Upgrade Hell -- XP now detects IDE drives as SCSI through RAID controller

Old February 11th 11, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

Default Upgrade Hell -- XP now detects IDE drives as SCSI through RAID controller

Recently upgraded from Intel 845 IDE board to Intel 915 SATA board with
one IDE channel. I know it's not much but the MB, CPU and memory are
faster and it makes a difference and I'm a gearhead, what can I say.

The problem is that I have to run my CD burner and extra HDs on a
Silicon Image 0680 ATA-133 PCI Medley Raid Controller, which used to
work fine on the 845 board and now the burner and any IDE HDs are
detected by XP as SCSI devices. This controller worked fine on the 845
board but on then 915 board IDE devices are detected as SCSI devices and
don't work as they should. HDs shows no data and the burner will read
but not write.

I have searched and read but the best I can come up with is that is just
the way it goes with RAID/IDE controllers. I was counting on this PCI
RAID/IDE controller card to run the burner and other HDs.

I would hope that there might be a controller card available that would
not be detected by XP as a SCSI device.

The onboard IDE channel works fine.

Old February 11th 11, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

I would ask in the storage group too.

Good luck and have fun.
Old February 11th 11, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

John Doe wrote:
I would ask in the storage group too.

Good luck and have fun.

comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage?
Old February 11th 11, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

John Doe wrote:
I would ask in the storage group too.

Good luck and have fun.

I ended up buying 4 SATA/IDE converters on eBay for $9.52, delivered

Seemed like the cheapest, less aggravating fix

We'll see...
Old February 11th 11, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:16:04 -0800, Jack wrote:

[...]

I had a similar situation with a Promise controller (not RAID).... My
computer(s)* all detected connected IDE hard drives as SCSI devices,
but everything worked just fine. However, it wouldn't work with
optical drives.

* I've tried it in several diffferent boxes with the same results, so
I don't think it's MB-specific.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
Old February 11th 11, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
[...]

Interesting... this card used to work fine on my old Intel 845 board,
but on the 915 board the data on the IDE drives doesn't show up and the
optical drives can be read but not written to

I'm waiting on some cheap IDE to SATA adapters that I bought on eBay to
arrive from Hong Kong

$9.52 for four, delivered... I don't see how these guys can make any money

volume, I guess
Old February 12th 11, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike[_27_]

"Jack" wrote in message
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
[...]

I may face a similar problem soon. Would appreciate it if you post and let
us know how the adapters work out.
Thanks,
Mike