Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple Mac Mini?

Old November 13th 10, 09:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
W[_3_]

Default Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple Mac Mini?

I was looking for a server to use as a DNS appliance on a network, and I
wanted to find one that uses a minimum amount of energy. I stumbled on the
Apple Mac Mini. Somehow they have this server working at 15 watts (!) when
not in active use, and during full power on activity the server is only
using 85 watts. It uses an Intel Core Duo 2. Part of their energy saving
strategy is the aluminum case, which acts as a passive heat sink and avoids
the need to run the cooling fan nearly as hard as it would in a plastic
case. My question is has any vendor for a Windows-OS server come up with a
*server* product that is equally energy efficient? Most of the so-called
energy efficient servers I am seeing through Dell and HP are using 200 to
300 watts. The units that they offer that have significant energy sparing
features are all toyish client computers. What are the most energy
efficient Intel-based Windows-OS servers in today's market?

I'm okay with running slower processors. A DNS server with a 1.8 GHz CPU
is overkill already.

Old November 14th 10, 12:30 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
James Harris

On Nov 13, 8:42*pm, "W" wrote:
[...]

Try a Viglen MPC-L or similar. It's not at all fast but I think it's
rated at something like 8 watts. Last time I looked there were others
of the same spec (I think Viglen just put there badge on someone
else's unit) but not nearly the same price.

James
Old November 14th 10, 03:20 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
W[_3_]

That Viglen is using a Geode processor. If you want Ubuntu, that's a nice
solution. But if you want Wintel and Windows, that is not going to work.

If I decide to go the UNIX route, I would certainly go for the Mac Mini.
The GUI is fantastic, and you have to believe at this point that Apple is a
survivor that is going to grow the software for that platform.

Old November 14th 10, 09:36 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
James Harris

On Nov 13, 8:42 pm, "W" wrote:

[...]

Of course it can work. Where did you check? Viglen on their web site
recommend Windows 7 for the box and there is at least one web site
showing how to install XP on it.

I referred to the Viglen as you said you "wanted to find one that uses
a minimum amount of energy." Other options if you don't want the
lowest power consumption: a subnotebook (effectively comes with its
own UPS) such as Asus EEE or MSI Wind, mini-itx, pico-itx, Intel Atom.
You'll have to research the details.

James
Old November 20th 10, 03:16 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

W wrote:
[...]

I just bought a micro-ITX barebones for $65 from newegg. Runs the ATOM 510 CPU,
dual core, 64 bit capable. Takes up to 4GB RAM. Should run Win7 just fine,
although mine will be RHEL6 for firewall use.
Old November 20th 10, 04:04 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Intel Guy

Bill Davidsen wrote:

although mine will be RHEL6 for firewall use.

What would such a firewall do differently (or additionally) vs what your
NAT-enabled broad-band modem or LAN router would normally do?
Old November 20th 10, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
W[_3_]

"Bill Davidsen" wrote in message
W wrote:
[...]

Is the Intel ATOM 510 CPU positioned as a desktop CPU? Is it right that
ATOM 510 uses about 13W of energy? Is that at rest or at full load? Is
that 13W including four cores?

If you use ATOM 510 CPU with four cores in a server instead of something
like an Intel XEON 5600, what features are you going to lose? I thinking
for a firewall that does no encryption, an energy efficient CPU like this is
a wonderful choice.

Do any of the major vendors (Dell, HP, IBM) have servers that use ATOM 510
and include at least four peripheral slots?

Old November 21st 10, 04:51 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

although mine will be RHEL6 for firewall use.

What would such a firewall do differently (or additionally) vs what your
NAT-enabled broad-band modem or LAN router would normally do?

I have two ISP connections and a DMZ, packets are routed to one ISP or the other
by preference rules, and either can take over the full connection to the net in
case of problems. There is heavy logging and light data analysis done as a low
priority task to prepare reports of attacks. The mail server logs are checked in
real time, problem sites identified and blocked in the firewall, server health
in the DMZ is monitored, and if needed action is taken to move certain loads to
backup servers.

Oh, and the master DNS for multiple domains is present in case of issues
elsewhere it can be served to the DMZ and private net.

The local firewall is more than just a packet mover.
Old November 22nd 10, 01:41 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
W[_3_]

Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

[...]

What software are you using to manage your preference rules and the failover
to an alternate ISP?

PEPLink has some nice devices to manage multiple ISPs. They alone seem to
really focus on that one market need. Obviously your application goes
beyond that.

Old November 22nd 10, 03:03 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

W wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

[...]

All home grown, perl program reads a permanent FIFO fed by the sysout entries
(iptables LOG target) of the firewall, a link monitoring program which tests the
link if no packet received on a NIC in 2 sec, and the remote sysout of the mail
server(s) performance.

PEPLink has some nice devices to manage multiple ISPs. They alone seem to
really focus on that one market need. Obviously your application goes
beyond that.

Rolling my own allows me to react very quickly to issues. Also, the price is
right. ;-)