Marginal OEM Power Supply

Old June 21st 10, 08:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Marginal OEM Power Supply

On 6/21/2010 12:57 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
I had previously noted the puniness of power supplies on OEM boxes, but
not by overloading them to the point where the machine wouldn't run. I
don't think that upping the RAM by 50% and adding a HDD causing a power
supply overload is a reasonable expectation.

Something else about this machine that is shaved very close is the
thermal design. It will not run for long with the side cover removed.
That wouldn't surprise me if the side cover included a duct, but there
are only holes strategically placed in the side panel. The CPU has an
enormous heat sink, but no fan of its own!

Robert.

About a year ago, I bought a Zalman 600W PS, which other manufacturers
apparently repackage and call a 750W PS. So I think there is probably
some conservative design involved here. You might consider changing the
power supply to something like this.

From your other messages in this thread, it sounds like you got
yourself a pretty high-end Core i7 of the original triple-channel
variety. So you getting marginal PS with it, is pretty surprising, as it
must be a pretty expensive machine otherwise.

Regarding it having only a big heat sink with no fan, this would
probably indicate to me that the heat sink depends on the power supply's
own fan to move air over the CPU. This would also explain why keeping
the case cover off is bad for it, as the cover is probably integral in
directing the air over the CPU heat sink.

Yousuf Khan