LaserJet 1012 Vertical Fade

Old May 25th 09, 03:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Keiser

Default LaserJet 1012 Vertical Fade

Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at that
location.
I surmise this means some issue with the laser mirror or lenses.
Normal cleaning cycle has not helped.
I have the service manual and am tempted to disassemble and gently clean the
lenses [soft cloth/brush] but as this somewhat involved [and I could make
the problem that I can "live with" worse] I thought I should ask if (1) does
my diagnosis sound right and (2) is there is any easier way to accomplish
this cleaning short of complete disassembly.
Thanks for any advice.

Old May 25th 09, 05:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Keiser

Possibly solved but comments still welcomed.
Before following disassembling to check the fuser sensor [which I understand
can accumulate toner and leave about a 1/4 inch wide faded stripe], I
removed the cartridge, depressed the laser shutter lever, and inspected the
laser lens area with a dental mirror.
I could not see anything on the glass, but used a blast of air.
Faded vertical stripe almost invisible now. [I probably would not detect it
had it not been noticable before.]
So I will stop while I am ahead.

Old May 25th 09, 10:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

John
You can use a cotton bud if you wish to clean the lens, but it sound like you
have it under control.
Tony

"John Keiser" wrote:
[...]

Unjamming an HP LaserJet 1012 [email protected] Printers 1 November 4th 06 12:55 AM
HP Laserjet 1012 with smoke G Printers 3 October 24th 06 11:53 PM
HP LaserJet 1012 - Envelopes Molin Vardo Printers 0 March 10th 05 01:30 AM
HP laserjet 1012 ink level Norm Printers 0 August 11th 04 07:22 PM
HP Laserjet 1012 and WP5 Dave Printers 2 July 22nd 04 06:39 AM