problems with Scotchmark and laser printers

Old May 1st 09, 04:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rebel

Default problems with Scotchmark and laser printers

I sometimes use Scotchmark 3M 7883 labels and normally would print these in an
HP5L. The last batch showed inadequate image adhesion - if the labels were
curved during application, the image would rub off somewhat as the label was
smoothed down with a wiping action using a soft cloth.

Is this indicative of a fuser problem?

Also, on one sheet there were faint ghosts with a repeat interval of either 64
or 74 mm (+/- 2mm). Is this indicative of a particular issue.

To try and work around these problems, I despatched the image with my son to
print a sheet on his work's Fuji-Xerox high-end machine. Apart from the first
run being wasted due a fonts issue, the follow-up run (with fonts now embedded
in the document) showed the same problem with image adhesion quality. The
supplier tested the material at his end and found no problems, and even printed
MY image on a sheet which was part of a resupply order. That sheet was fine.

When two lasers exhibit a problem with the media but the supplier's machine
didn't, is it more likely there is a hardware cause or a media cause?
Old May 22nd 09, 08:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rebel

Default Repost: problems with Scotchmark and laser printers

On Fri, 01 May 2009 11:16:27 +0800, rebel wrote:

[...]

Follow-on ....

tried again on the Fuji-Xerox machine. Image on paper was fine as expected,
then on the Scotchmark it failed with repeats of the image. Took about ten
pages of paper after that to clear the "image" (toner) off the ?transfer roller.

Is this a case of a fuser not able to rewach the required fusion temp because of
the nature of the medium?
Old May 22nd 09, 03:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

It could be that the Scotchmark is unable to pick up enough of the
toner, leaving a lot of the drum which then gets transferred onto a
slightly later part of the page.

In theory, the drum wiper should clear the excess toner off the drum,
but I have found certain media doesn't hold the toner well and creates
these "ghost images sometimes.

Adhesive fails over time, so if you have either an older batch or a bad
batch (sometimes it isn't made properly either) that can cause issues,
and it may be the consumable at fault.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old May 22nd 09, 03:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rebel

On Fri, 22 May 2009 07:05:18 -0700, Arthur Entlich
wrote:

It could be that the Scotchmark is unable to pick up enough of the
toner, leaving a lot of the drum which then gets transferred onto a
slightly later part of the page.

In theory, the drum wiper should clear the excess toner off the drum,
but I have found certain media doesn't hold the toner well and creates
these "ghost images sometimes.

I suspect it is picking up a normal-ish amount but that it isn't
fusing/adhering properly to the medium. But that infers - as you stated - that
the wiper isn't clearing it all, as that is why the ghosting occurs.

Adhesive fails over time, so if you have either an older batch or a bad
batch (sometimes it isn't made properly either) that can cause issues,
and it may be the consumable at fault.

The media was "tested" by the supplier who also printed my image perfectly on
his company laser on one of the sheets in the last resupply just before my first
post. Also this is a single A4 sheet, not mutiple labels on a backing sheet. so
adhesive is only ever going to be present at the page edges anyway. The
adhesive sticks to the target like "s##t to a blanket" when the backing paper is
removed. This stuff is fairly high quality, hence the price of $A3 per A4
sheet, which is why I am annoyed at the 100% wastage.

Thanks for your input.

rebel wrote:
[...]

Is color laser paper OK for mono laser printers? Dot Net Developer Printers 11 November 3rd 06 09:30 PM
Colour laser printers compared to inkjet printers? Brian Printers 10 May 10th 05 01:25 PM
Laser Jet Printers vs. Laser vs Inkjet Saylo1234 Printers 5 May 9th 05 06:27 PM
Laser Printers Me Printers 2 April 1st 04 06:33 AM
Used Laser Printers? Where? Iconoclast Printers 9 November 23rd 03 11:08 PM