Evidence: CPU FAN spins harder while holding the POWER BUTTON/SWITCH.

Old June 2nd 07, 11:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Skybuck The Destroyer

Default Evidence: CPU FAN spins harder while holding the POWER BUTTON/SWITCH.

Hello,

Some people challenge my theory/complaint/observation that holding the
power button or flipping it/switching it leads to damage.

I present EVIDENCE:

HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON INCREASES THE CPU FAN SPEED !

Natural explanation:

More speed requires more power !

Conclusion: MORE POWER IS GOING TO THE MOTHERBOARD SOMEHOW !

:P*

STICK THAT UP YOUR BUM !

Seriously though:

How do you explain it otherwise ? HMMMMMMM ? Yessss bring on your
theories/knowledge people... because you looking like crap at the
moment, saying things like: "power button does not do anything" !

Bye,
Skybuck.

P.S.:

Yeah, and people from: alt.hardware.pc-homebuilt try not to make a
complete asshole out of yourself.

Especially people like Craig Sutton.

This is after all a semi-serious posting and semi-serious science !

Your stupid asshole remarks are not appreciated ! Really !

Asshole remarks are only appreciated if you add a bit off
knowledgeable flavor to it... see... just like me... otherwise it's
just being nasty only... but science-nasty that's much better.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 2nd 07, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Skybuck

Yeah,

And don't stop just there !

The backplate fan starts spinning faster too, probably, if my memory
serves me correctly. I am not gonna repeat the test, way too
dangerous.

Other fans were not connected, so it wouldn't surprise me, one bit, if
everything starts spinning faster !

Definetly something that should be investigated by asus and other
motherboard builders !

This could mean that holding the power button for 10 seconds to power
it down ACTUALLY DAMAGES IT ! or could damage it on the long run !

BAD NEWS,

REALLY BAD NEWS.

Not gonna do that ever again.

Next time:

I simply use the back switch of the power supply.

SCREW STUPID SOFT POWER ON/OFF ****, I HATE IT ( IT S STUPID IT S
DUMB IT S DANGEROUS IT S NOT UNDERSTOOOOD IT SUX.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 2nd 07, 12:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Skybuck The Destroyer

Also you might think it just spins faster.

No it doesn't just spin faster.

It starts spinning faster and faster and faster and faster.

That seems dangerous, bad, and not by design.

I am sure now you understand just perfectly =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 2nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
John Larkin

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 04:03:22 -0700, Skybuck The Destroyer
wrote:

Also you might think it just spins faster.

No it doesn't just spin faster.

It starts spinning faster and faster and faster and faster.

That seems dangerous, bad, and not by design.

I am sure now you understand just perfectly =D

Many modern pc's have speed-controlled fans, so that they can adjust
the cooling as needed and not make a lot of howling noise all of the
time. They also have fans that give a "running" feedback signal. The
BIOS manages the fans based on cmos settings and/or actual chip
temperatures. Most such systems set the fans to max by default, often
powering up full blast and throttling down later after other stuff is
set up.

"Faster and faster and faster" is really just ramping up to 100% on.

My HP has redundant fans. Both are monitored for speed. If one fails,
the other starts up. Whichever is in use is throttled to provide
proper cooling, as needed, but low noise. The fans run full-on for a
few seconds at powerup. The advantage of buying a fully-built PC is
that all this stuff is designed in and the hardware and bios
(redundant bios! and raid drives! and ecc memory!) take care of
things.

Relax.

John

Old June 2nd 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"Skybuck The Destroyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Some people challenge my theory/complaint/observation that holding the
power button or flipping it/switching it leads to damage.

I present EVIDENCE:

HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON INCREASES THE CPU FAN SPEED !

Would that be in the 4 secs just before the PC switches itself off?

Old June 2nd 07, 05:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"Skybuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah,

And don't stop just there !

The backplate fan starts spinning faster too, probably, if my memory
serves me correctly. I am not gonna repeat the test, way too
dangerous.

Other fans were not connected, so it wouldn't surprise me, one bit, if
everything starts spinning faster !

Definetly something that should be investigated by asus and other
motherboard builders !

This could mean that holding the power button for 10 seconds to power
it down ACTUALLY DAMAGES IT ! or could damage it on the long run !

BAD NEWS,

REALLY BAD NEWS.

Not gonna do that ever again.

Next time:

I simply use the back switch of the power supply.

I hope you like reinstalling your operating system, idiot.

Old June 2nd 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Skybuck

Yeah so big deal, tell me something I don't know.

I have sorta two redundant fans:

Power supply fan, and back plate fan - does heavy work, if it fails,
power fan takes over.

That still doesn't explain my observed behaviour.

I tried to recreate the sticky button and fan thingy... but recreating
these problems is pretty hard.

I can now kinda understand why the sticky button problem escaped
attention... it happens on rarely situations... not under ideal
circumstances or even less circumstances... it's just one of those
things that only show up during "real world usage". That's the ****ty
part about it.

I tried a second time recreating the fan thingy... but now only the
cpu fan is connected... backplate is now disconnected... at the time
it was connected... didn't hear the cpu fan spindle faster the second
time... but I know what I heard the first time

I am not gonna do asus's job that's for sure... let them figure it
out :P*

I am just here to complain about it and hint at possible short
comings.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 3rd 07, 04:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Nicholas Sherlock

Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
Hello,

Some people challenge my theory/complaint/observation that holding the
power button or flipping it/switching it leads to damage.

I think that you need to increase the size of your tinfoil hat.

Nicholas Sherlock
Old June 3rd 07, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Eeyore

Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:

Hello,

Some people challenge my theory/complaint/observation that holding the
power button or flipping it/switching it leads to damage.

I present EVIDENCE:

HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON INCREASES THE CPU FAN SPEED !

Natural explanation:

More speed requires more power !

********. This behaviour is quite normal.

Buy yourself an inexpensive little voltmeter.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EW-Mini-DIGITA...QQcmdZViewItem

Graham

Old June 3rd 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Tom

On Jun 2, 10:58 pm, Skybuck wrote:
[...]

As some one pointed out the CPU fan and possibly the general fans &
PSU fan (dependent upon age and cost of system) are controlled by the
motherboard. Also as stated most systems fire up with the fans going
full tilt, or at least working their way up to full tilt, then at some
point the motherboard takes over and spins them down to a speed
suitable for maintaining a comfortable temp.

The reason for starting full whack, might be because the control
circuits responsible aren't activated at the beginning, however there
is another reason. I recall reading somewhere that the CPU is running
at 100%, despite doing naff all, at power on, so it will be heating up
nicely, hence having the fan going full tilt initially is probably a
good idea.

Tom