laptop with 2 hard drives?

Old September 26th 04, 04:41 AM
Timothy Daniels

William P.N. Smith wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
To be explicit, could the following be done? -

Clone the HD from one laptop to another laptop
using an Ethernet connection, remove the HD from
the 2nd laptop and put it into the 1st laptop and boot
it up without having to do an "image restore"? IOW,
is the image made with Ghost through an Ethernet
connection bootable?

Dunno for sure, you'd have to check with someone who
has the Personal Edition or who has done the peer-to-peer
network thing. I tried it once, and it was so slow I stopped it
and went back to putting two laptop drives in my desktop
machine.

Why would you want to? I thought you wanted immediate
recovery at a client site of a failed laptop?

The copy, of course, would be done beforehand for use
as a backup, and the elapsed time for a copy wouldn't be
of as much concern. Current laptops have FireWire and/or
USB2 for doing copy's. Older laptops would only have
Ethernet. I may have to settle for 2 older laptops.

*TimDaniels*
Old September 26th 04, 08:10 AM
Sparky

Timothy Daniels wrote:

William P.N. Smith wrote:

Sparky wrote:

I have Ghost 2003 and it supports cloning peer-to-peer.
You have to specify USB/TCP/LPT. Hard to imagine you
could boot one peer from another.

You boot them both to DOS and then clone one from the other.
In general you'd probably make an image file on one machine
that was the image of the system disk on the other system,
but you could probably clone one identical machine to another
(though you'd have to fiddle with network name and such
afterwards...)

To be explicit, could the following be done? -

Clone the HD from one laptop to another laptop
using an Ethernet connection, remove the HD from
the 2nd laptop and put it into the 1st laptop and boot
it up without having to do an "image restore"? IOW,
is the image made with Ghost through an Ethernet
connection bootable?

Yes, I think that's exactly what you could do. Clones of bootable
partitions I have made have been bootable themselves. It's not
necessary, BTW, to clone from one laptop HDD to a 2nd laptop, any
external HDD (including over a network) works fine. If your HDD gets
trashed, you can restore it or load a fresh HDD by booting from a Ghost
boot disk and cloning from the good one (external HDD) to the HDD in the
laptop. FWIW, I generally clone partition to partition (as opposed to
disk to disk), gives more flexibility.

To reply to William's post - I thought Tim was asking about cloning a
HDD over an Ethernet connection, then booting from the cloned HDD on the
other laptop *over* the Ethernet connection - 'don't see how you could
do that. His current post makes it clear he would move the cloned HDD to
his originating laptop, which works fine.