laptop with 2 hard drives?

Old September 22nd 04, 08:41 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Sparky" wrote:
Dick Silk wrote:

I don't suppose anyone here has simply *networked*
a laptop together with a desktop?

HUH? This has come up many times. I'm sure many
posters here network a laptop with their desktop -
I sure do & got advice from this NG on how to make
it work.

I think he meant making a clone of a laptop hard drive
onto a drive in a desktop using a network connection rather
than having both hard drives in the same machine. And,
presumably because the clone wouldn't recognize its
environment in the desktop, the same procedure would
have to done in reverse back to the laptop when it gets a
new hard drive. That *does* come up many times, but I
don't see too many answers that say how (and with what
utility software) it can be done.

*TimDaniels*
Old September 22nd 04, 01:13 PM
William P.N. Smith

"Dick Silk" wrote:
I don't suppose anyone here has simply *networked* a laptop together with a
desktop?

How does this help the OP clone his hard drive? [Yes, some versions
of Ghost will use TCP/IP either natively or in a client/server mode to
image drives, but that's either slow, expensive, or both, and doesn't
help the OP with his "it died on the road" scenario.]

Old September 24th 04, 01:25 AM
Dick Silk

using a network to backup a drive is relatively easy EXCEPT for the drive
with the OS on it, which is a bit trickier:

This would require wiping / reloading the OS to the boot sectors, then
copying everything else back over. *It *should* work* in non-critical
installations.

True, this does NOT work in every situation.

Old September 24th 04, 12:53 PM
William P.N. Smith

"Dick Silk" wrote:
using a network to backup a drive is relatively easy EXCEPT for the drive
with the OS on it, which is a bit trickier:

Not with Ghost. It boots DOS, and images your drive. Network options
are TCP/IP master/slave in Personal Edition, plus client/server mode
in Enterprise Edition (10-client minimum). Works well if not terribly
quickly, and doesn't require rebuilding the machine to some
intermediate state before restoring the system disk.

Old September 24th 04, 08:10 PM
Timothy Daniels

William P.N. Smith wrote:
"Dick Silk" wrote:
using a network to backup a drive is relatively easy

EXCEPT for the drive with the OS on it, which is a bit trickier:

Not with Ghost. It boots DOS, and images your drive. Network options
are TCP/IP master/slave in Personal Edition, plus client/server mode
in Enterprise Edition (10-client minimum). Works well if not terribly
quickly, and doesn't require rebuilding the machine to some
intermediate state before restoring the system disk.

Have you any ideal if cloning and booting via Ethernet are
part of Ghost v.9?

*TimDaniels*
Old September 24th 04, 08:33 PM
William P.N. Smith

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
Have you any ideal if cloning and booting via Ethernet are
part of Ghost v.9?

Can't say for sure, I use the Enterprise Edition. I know the previous
Personal Editions did, and their WWWebsite isn't very helpful, maybe
try the knowledge base?

Old September 25th 04, 12:21 PM
Sparky

Timothy Daniels wrote:

William P.N. Smith wrote:

"Dick Silk" wrote:

using a network to backup a drive is relatively easy

EXCEPT for the drive with the OS on it, which is a bit trickier:

Not with Ghost. It boots DOS, and images your drive. Network options
are TCP/IP master/slave in Personal Edition, plus client/server mode
in Enterprise Edition (10-client minimum). Works well if not terribly
quickly, and doesn't require rebuilding the machine to some
intermediate state before restoring the system disk.

Have you any ideal if cloning and booting via Ethernet are
part of Ghost v.9?

I have Ghost 2003 and it supports cloning peer-to-peer. You have to
specify USB/TCP/LPT. Hard to imagine you could boot one peer from another.
Old September 25th 04, 02:26 PM
William P.N. Smith

Sparky wrote:
I have Ghost 2003 and it supports cloning peer-to-peer. You have to
specify USB/TCP/LPT. Hard to imagine you could boot one peer from another.

You boot them both to DOS and then clone one from the other. In
general you'd probably make an image file on one machine that was the
image of the system disk on the other system, but you could probably
clone one identical machine to another (though you'd have to fiddle
with network name and such afterwards...)

Old September 25th 04, 07:05 PM
Timothy Daniels

William P.N. Smith wrote:
Sparky wrote:
I have Ghost 2003 and it supports cloning peer-to-peer.
You have to specify USB/TCP/LPT. Hard to imagine you
could boot one peer from another.

You boot them both to DOS and then clone one from the other.
In general you'd probably make an image file on one machine
that was the image of the system disk on the other system,
but you could probably clone one identical machine to another
(though you'd have to fiddle with network name and such
afterwards...)

To be explicit, could the following be done? -

Clone the HD from one laptop to another laptop
using an Ethernet connection, remove the HD from
the 2nd laptop and put it into the 1st laptop and boot
it up without having to do an "image restore"? IOW,
is the image made with Ghost through an Ethernet
connection bootable?

*TimDaniels*

Old September 26th 04, 01:50 AM
William P.N. Smith

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
To be explicit, could the following be done? -

Clone the HD from one laptop to another laptop
using an Ethernet connection, remove the HD from
the 2nd laptop and put it into the 1st laptop and boot
it up without having to do an "image restore"? IOW,
is the image made with Ghost through an Ethernet
connection bootable?

Dunno for sure, you'd have to check with someone who has the Personal
Edition or who has done the peer-to-peer network thing. I tried it
once, and it was so slow I stopped it and went back to putting two
laptop drives in my desktop machine.

Why would you want to? I thought you wanted immediate recovery at a
client site of a failed laptop?