'Sapphire' vs ATI 'Proper' - significant differences? Worth Considering (Sapphire)???

Old November 3rd 03, 03:52 PM
Skid

Default 'Sapphire' vs ATI 'Proper' - significant differences? Worth Considering (Sapphire)???

Sapphire is one of the partners that manufactures cards for ATI, and they
sell them cheaper under their own brand name. Some models are identical to
the ATI hardware, some are not.

I've used several Sapphire cards and consider them excellent values. They
use standard ATI drivers. If all you want is a card that will play DVD
movies and games on a TV set, they're perfect.

However, with an AIW the software package is important. Make sure you know
what you are getting. There are plenty of other DVD players, but the
capture/tuner software is key if you plan to use those functions.

If an AIW is what you need, for a home-theater PC for instance, I'd get an
ATI.

Read some reviews of the AIW and see how many of the multimedia features you
truly need and want. They are complex overkill for some, vital necessities
for others.

"Hammer Toe" wrote in message
I'm was considering upgrading to a new All-In-Wonder Card
(specifically the ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro) when I became aware, for
the first time, of a line from/called 'Sapphire' and was wondering if
anyone was aware and could be so kind as to attempt to summarize the
DIFFERENCES (hardware, software and 'support') between them, pros and
cons of buying one specific card/brand over the other, etc.

Are (comparable) cards identical, essentially identical, or 'less'.

More importantly, what about SOFTWARE?

In the case of All-In-Wonder cards for example, what does one get in
terms of Multimedia Center software?

a) Identical To ATI's MM software?
b) Something good/very simillar?
c) Other?

What about Support/Software+Driver Upgrades?
Anyone have an opinion on how the two compare?

Overall, assuming that a comparable 'Sapphire' All-In-Wonder product
was available and cost less than the comparable ATI version, would one
be advised to still 'pay extra' for the ATI Product and why?

TIA.

Old November 10th 03, 07:59 PM
Jopo75

PLEASE stay away from Sapphi they generally sucks, their implemenation
sucks and I wonder if they follow Ati's strict guidelines and rules for
thermal solutions: heatsink too heavy and not properly placed risks to
damage the open die beneath!!
See my post above.
I repeat: stay away.
Try some other different makes such Gigabyte or go nVidias (equally fast and
much more better built)

Old November 10th 03, 08:44 PM
Strontium

-
Jopo75 stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
said:

PLEASE stay away from Sapphi they generally sucks, their
implemenation sucks and I wonder if they follow Ati's strict
guidelines and rules for thermal solutions: heatsink too heavy and
not properly placed risks to damage the open die beneath!!
See my post above.
I repeat: stay away.
Try some other different makes such Gigabyte or go nVidias (equally
fast and much more better built)

Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old November 10th 03, 09:39 PM
Sparrow

Just so you know, the Built by Ati is actually built by Sapphire. Ati
manufactures the gpu's only and for their "Built by Ati" uses Sapphire as a
subcontractor. Alternatively, Sapphire also has their own brand.

Old November 10th 03, 10:42 PM
Jopo75

Just so you know, the Built by Ati is actually built by Sapphire. Ati
manufactures the gpu's only and for their "Built by Ati" uses Sapphire as

subcontractor. Alternatively, Sapphire also has their own brand.

I know.
What I was wondering about is if Sapphire follow Ati's guidelines for
thermal (and mechanical solutions) or not.
I have the impression that Sapphire's cards are built cheaper that Ati's
reference ones.

Old November 10th 03, 10:42 PM
Jopo75

Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker.
Actually you don't know what I'm talking about!
And I'm speaking of build quality.

Old November 10th 03, 10:55 PM
Jopo75

Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker.
Yeah, choose Ati, dupe.

Old November 10th 03, 11:33 PM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:31:15 GMT
"Jopo75" wrote:

I read your posts, dumb-ass. You have no clue.

I think you haven't ripped off any heatsink out of a Sapphire Radeon
9600 lately, to say that.
Mine has a passive heatsink too big and heavy to be placed "firmly"
only with 2 plastic spacers.
If you've red all my posts, you oughta know: instead you don't (see my
post at the top of this ng).
What about http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...pcolor-1.html?
Dumb-ass to whom?

Well, since the article you link is about a PowerColor board and not a
Sapphire, I am a bit puzzled as to what its relevance might be.

Take care.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 11th 03, 12:01 AM
Strontium

Enjoy 'no' AF or FSAA, at playable framerates.

-
Jopo75 stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
said:

Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker. Yeah, choose Ati, dupe.