Write caching

Old July 19th 10, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

Default Write caching

OK, I'm turning to the experts here- if a notebook HDD has write caching
enabled, and the power option is to turn the drive off after 10 minutes of
inactivity, does it flush the cache before shutting down, or does it just
shut down? I never really thought about it before, but the Intel update
enables write caching by default on M6850-fx, whereas the previous driver
would not allow it to be enabled.

TIA!
--
SC Tom

Old July 20th 10, 04:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 7/19/2010 12:56 PM, SC Tom wrote:
OK, I'm turning to the experts here- if a notebook HDD has write caching
enabled, and the power option is to turn the drive off after 10 minutes
of inactivity, does it flush the cache before shutting down, or does it
just shut down? I never really thought about it before, but the Intel
update enables write caching by default on M6850-fx, whereas the
previous driver would not allow it to be enabled.

TIA!

Flushes the cache, then shuts down... Ben
Old July 20th 10, 11:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 7/19/2010 12:56 PM, SC Tom wrote:
OK, I'm turning to the experts here- if a notebook HDD has write caching
enabled, and the power option is to turn the drive off after 10 minutes
of inactivity, does it flush the cache before shutting down, or does it
just shut down? I never really thought about it before, but the Intel
update enables write caching by default on M6850-fx, whereas the
previous driver would not allow it to be enabled.

TIA!

Flushes the cache, then shuts down... Ben

I thought that was how it worked, since it wouldn't be too safe NOT to flush
it, but decided to err on the side of caution and ask.
Thanks, Ben!
--
SC Tom