Windows 7 Drivers

Old January 6th 10, 12:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

Default Windows 7 Drivers

It works good enough, but the CCC is not compatible with Win7 even though it
was with Vista. I'm not having any problems with it per se, just pretty much
looking for the "whole" driver, if you see what I mean. Everything else
works great right out of the box; in fact, my wireless works better with
Win7. I get connected quicker (Vista would sometimes balk at connecting,
especially after Hibernation), have a stronger, more consistent connection,
and don't get the "can't find the internet" messages I occasionally got in
Vista.
Thanks.
--
SC Tom

"Justbob30" wrote in message
I did a Vista to 7 upgrade on a 6850, had no problems at all except
wireless (which I expected from the beta) if you depend on wireless
connection, download the wireless driver to reinstall after update
done....now the fx has ATI video rather than the Intel, so, I can't comment
on that but, my experience is, if it worked with Vista, it works with 7.

"SC Tom" wrote in message
Has anybody found any Win7 drivers for a Gateway M6850-fx? I'm running
the WU drivers and Vista drivers right now (which seem to work OK), but
I'd like to find an updated video driver for it that's Win7 compatible
(not Win7 Beta as on the ATI site).
Thanks!
--
SC Tom

Old January 8th 10, 02:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"SC Tom" wrote in message

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
SC Tom wrote:

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
SC Tom typed on Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:08:11 -0500:
Has anybody found any Win7 drivers for a Gateway M6850-fx? I'm
running the WU drivers and Vista drivers right now (which seem to
work OK), but I'd like to find an updated video driver for it that's
Win7 compatible (not Win7 Beta as on the ATI site).
Thanks!
--
SC Tom

Hi Tom! While I didn't like Windows 7 on my three Gateway MX6124 or my
Asus netbooks. Way too slow for starters. But I am going to give
Windows 7 another chance and try it on my Gateway M465e tomorrow. So
I'll keep my eyes open. grin

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 2 of 3 - Windows XP SP3

Thanks! I upgraded mine from Vista (which was solid as a rock, but not
very fast, no matter what I did) to Win7 and am very happy with it. All
the drivers that were installed seemed to work OK but the ATI driver. It
gave an error now and again, so I tried the Win7 Beta from ATI's site
and it seems to be holding. I'd rather get a regular driver than a beta.

Then stay tuned for a no-longer-a-beta driver from AMD/ATI. They are the
only game in town when it comes to drivers for their chips... Ben Myers

That's what I've been doing. So far, the only listing for the ATI Mobility
Radeon HD 2600 Graphics Card is still the beta version from 9/9/09. Since
it is a PCIe chip, I'm tempted to image my drive, install v9.12 for the
Radeon HD2600 (PCIe) and see what happens. I can't imagine it doing any
physical damage, and that the most I'd have to do is rewrite the HDD with
the image.
--
SC Tom

Well, I tried to install the standard HD2600 package, and no go. The CCC
wouldn't come up after the install, and the driver didn't install at all,
saying that it was up to date, even though the one installed is 8.5xxxx and
the new one is 9.12. I assume that it didn't see a standard 2600 so left the
driver alone. Luckily, all I had to do was reinstall the beta to bring
everything back to where it was. Since ATI doesn't seem to care about the
Mobility series, looks like I'm stuck with the beta until I need a new
notebook. This is their note:

"Note: The Mobility Radeon ATI Catalyst drivers for Windows 7 are beta and
are only available for Windows 7 beta releases. For up to date Mobility
Radeon graphics drivers for Windows 7, please contact your laptop
manufacturer."

And I'm certainly not going to be holding my breath until Gateway releases
any updates for Win7. They don't have any Win7 drivers at all for the 6850.
Thanks to all who replied, and anyone else who may have looked!
--
SC Tom

Old January 8th 10, 04:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ken Whiton

*-* On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, at 07:40:53 -0500,
*-* In Article ,
*-* SC Tom wrote
*-* About Windows 7 Drivers

It works good enough, but the CCC is not compatible with Win7 even
though it was with Vista. I'm not having any problems with it per
se, just pretty much looking for the "whole" driver, if you see what
I mean. Everything else works great right out of the box; in fact,
my wireless works better with Win7. I get connected quicker (Vista
would sometimes balk at connecting, especially after Hibernation),

That sounds familiar. ;-)

have a stronger, more consistent connection, and don't get the
"can't find the internet" messages I occasionally got in Vista.

So does that! I guess I'm not the only one with those problems
with Vista wireless. I may just have to live with them, though, since
I don't plan to move to Win7 anytime soon.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: L (remove the obvious to reply)