Possible to use voice recogenition software with laptop?

Old February 19th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Possible to use voice recogenition software with laptop?

One thing I dislike abt laptops is the keyboard.... as
I'm not a god typist on a desktop keyboard much less
cramped laptop keyboard.

I also have a heck of a time using built in mousepad as
well.... I fumble around and make it do all kinds of
things didn't want.

Having said that it occurred to me that one solution
night be a voice recognition software such as Dragon
Dictate.

see link

Anyone using such software with their laptop for mostly
hands off use?

And.....any reason a laptop such as the 1420 can NOT
run such software?
Old February 19th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
PDR

Why buy 3rd party software when XP has its own already built in? I
frequently use it to take "brain dump" notes and occaisionally play with it
for dictation (although I prefer to type). I also often use it to read
documents to me while I'm driving - I often end up driving 100 miles to a
meeting having not fully read the document which the meeting is about, so I
simply put the laptop on the other seat and set it to read the document. I
use a little FM radio widget which plugs into the speaker socket and
broadcasts the output so I can hear it over the car stereo (becaue the
laptop's own speakers are a bit feeble against the car noise), and it works
very well. It has amusing results trying to interpret tables, but apart from
that it's brilliant.

PDR

Old February 20th 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gimpy[_2_]

wrote in message
One thing I dislike abt laptops is the keyboard.... as
I'm not a god typist on a desktop keyboard much less
cramped laptop keyboard.

I also have a heck of a time using built in mousepad as
well.... I fumble around and make it do all kinds of
things didn't want.

Having said that it occurred to me that one solution
night be a voice recognition software such as Dragon
Dictate.

see link

Anyone using such software with their laptop for mostly
hands off use?

And.....any reason a laptop such as the 1420 can NOT
run such software?

I'm wondering if it will run on mine as well. Its a Dell Dimension 3000
& 2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron board. 1 gig memory.. Thanks Gimpy

Old February 20th 08, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:33:40 -0600, wrote:

One thing I dislike abt laptops is the keyboard.... as
I'm not a god typist on a desktop keyboard much less
cramped laptop keyboard.

I also have a heck of a time using built in mousepad as
well.... I fumble around and make it do all kinds of
things didn't want.

Having said that it occurred to me that one solution
night be a voice recognition software such as Dragon
Dictate.

see link

Anyone using such software with their laptop for mostly
hands off use?

And.....any reason a laptop such as the 1420 can NOT
run such software?

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking with good results.

The way I use it is that as I read a book, I have my headset on, and I
can talk into the mic and have my text automatically entered into the
PC.

The accuracy is amazing. It helps to speak like a computer. I don't
use my normal voice at all. I realize that the sound coming from me
will be parsed, and I speak accordingly to make the job easier for
Dragon Naturally Speaking.

I took Developmental Psychology as a refresher for my Psyc degree (if
you don't use it you lose it). The exams were based on the ability to
read and retain a lot of small details. After the first exam I knew
the teacher's style. So, as I read through a chapter I spoke the
notes I wanted to take, and by the end of the chapter I had a set of
good quality notes already typed for me because I spoke them as I
read.

So, yes -- your 1420 should be able to handle it just fine!!! I say
go for it, the price is right. Just be sure to speak like a computer
or in a way that the computer can easily parse what you say

Regarding keyboards, I don't understand what you mean by cramped.
Doesn't your 1420 have a full-sized keyboard? I have found the Dell
keyboards to be OK. Not nearly as good as Lenovo, but still pretty
good.
Old February 20th 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:05:51 -0000, "PDR"
wrote:

Why buy 3rd party software when XP has its own already built in? I
frequently use it to take "brain dump" notes and occaisionally play with it
for dictation (although I prefer to type). I also often use it to read
documents to me while I'm driving - I often end up driving 100 miles to a
meeting having not fully read the document which the meeting is about, so I
simply put the laptop on the other seat and set it to read the document. I
use a little FM radio widget which plugs into the speaker socket and
broadcasts the output so I can hear it over the car stereo (becaue the
laptop's own speakers are a bit feeble against the car noise), and it works
very well. It has amusing results trying to interpret tables, but apart from
that it's brilliant.

PDR

Please tell me where I can find text to speech in XP. I have a use
for that. Thanks.
Old February 20th 08, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:28:37 -0500, "Gimpy"
wrote:

I'm wondering if it will run on mine as well. Its a Dell Dimension 3000
& 2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron board. 1 gig memory.. Thanks Gimpy

Yours is more than powerful enough to use Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.
Just get a good headset.
Old February 20th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:33:40 -0600, wrote:

One thing I dislike abt laptops is the keyboard.... as
I'm not a god typist on a desktop keyboard much less
cramped laptop keyboard.

I also have a heck of a time using built in mousepad as
well.... I fumble around and make it do all kinds of
things didn't want.

Having said that it occurred to me that one solution
night be a voice recognition software such as Dragon
Dictate.

see link

Anyone using such software with their laptop for mostly
hands off use?

And.....any reason a laptop such as the 1420 can NOT
run such software?

If you do get it, get a really good headset. I use a Plantronics USB
one.

Check out user reviews on Amazon or CNET or any other place you can
find them.

Google for headsets that work with Dragon Naturally Speaking.

I also have a bluetooth one but haven't had time to try it yet. I'd
go wtih a direct connect though for quality notes.
Old February 20th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Journey wrote:

Regarding keyboards, I don't understand what you mean by cramped.
Doesn't your 1420 have a full-sized keyboard? I have found the Dell
keyboards to be OK. Not nearly as good as Lenovo, but still pretty
good.

Well.....its more that I'm a lousy typist than that a
laptop keyboard is cramped

I admit.... I'm terrible typist

By the way.... which version of Dragon do you have?
Personal. Preferred, pro?

And...what brand/model headset do you use?
Old February 20th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Journey wrote:

After the first exam I knew
the teacher's style. So, as I read through a chapter I spoke the
notes I wanted to take, and by the end of the chapter I had a set of
good quality notes already typed for me because I spoke them as I
read.

That's a GREAT strategy!!!

I can use that info as I'm taking chem 2 and calc 2!!

Will Dragon do math symbolic notation?
Old February 20th 08, 06:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Journey wrote:

I also have a bluetooth one but haven't had time to try it yet. I'd
go wtih a direct connect though for quality notes.

Ok thanks...disregard my previous question

Yeah I was gonna ask if direct connect model still best
overall so thanks!!