Parallel Port Print Server

Old December 13th 07, 05:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Parallel Port Print Server

Hello all...

I have some older LaserJet printers that feature a slightly smaller
than normal variant of the Centronics/Parallel connector.

I'd like to attach a simple network print server with a parallel port
on it to these printers. They have no other means by which to be
networked, and I wouldn't have much use for them unless they could be
networked. Unfortunately, I cannot find a print server with that type
of parallel port on it.

Does such a print server (or a cable adapter) exist?

William
Old December 14th 07, 03:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob AZ

I have some older LaserJet printers that feature a slightly smaller
than normal variant of the Centronics/Parallel connector.

Does such a print server (or a cable adapter) exist?

William

Wiliam

Which printers? Is the connector that you mention 24 connections
similar to the 36 connection Centronic? Then you probably the
IEEE-488.GPIB interface.

If the inetrface is indeed GPIB then it will be simpler to get another
interface as another mentioned and go from there.

Bob AZ
Old December 18th 07, 03:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Hi!

I'd like to attach a simple network print server with a parallel port
on it to these printers. They have no other means by which to be
networked,

Yes they do. HP JetDirect cards. Plug right in.

These printers have no means by which to accept a JetDirect card. As
an example, I think the LaserJet 1100 uses this smaller parallel port.

William
Old December 18th 07, 03:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Hi!

Which printers?

I'm not exactly sure. They are in storage right now. I know at least
one is a LaserJet 1100. The connection is parallel, but one end of the
cable is smaller than the normal Centronics connector found on most
parallel printers.

If the interface is indeed GPIB

I don't think these are GPIB printers. It has been a long time since
I saw anything with a GPIB interface on it.

I may outfit an old computer with a few PCI parallel port cards and
use that as a network print server.

William
Old December 19th 07, 04:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Jonas

I'm not exactly sure. They are in storage right now. I know at least
one is a LaserJet 1100. The connection is parallel, but one end of the
cable is smaller than the normal Centronics connector found on most
parallel printers.

I found printer cables at a dollar shop
with the teeny Centronics-style connector so I know they exist.

I may outfit an old computer with a few PCI parallel port cards and
use that as a network print server.

Linux runs on older machines just fine
with Samba sharing the printer to Windows machines.
If the PC is old enough then ISA parallel ports ought to suffice.

We just missed a sale at CompUSA for $10 (after rebate)
"Parallel Printer Server": a fat connector with Centronix on one side,
RJ45 for 10/100-base-t.

I've used older home internet-sharing units such as
the SMC Barricade and Siemens Speedstream.
They have the usual 4 port switch
and a parallel port for a networked shared printer.
Both Windows and Linux used the printer just fine.