File size limitations

Old November 3rd 07, 08:59 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Dieter Stumpner

Default File size limitations

Faeandar wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:22:35 +0100, Benno
wrote:

Faeandar wrote:
Is anyone aware of a way to limit the size of files allowed on a file
system?

Specifically, I don't want files to be able to grow past XGB.

Thanks.

~F

Wouldn't quota management software be an option?
No personal experience though.

Quota management is based on user id or file system/directory, not the
file itself.

I may have a user who needs to exceed 20GB in total but not in a
single file. Today's quota software makes no distinction between the
two.

~F

Hi!

A simple ulimit on unix server does what you want, but it's a per user
id entry and i dont know if it is available over network (target, not
source user id based).

with best regards
Dieter Stumpner
Old November 3rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Sto RageŠ

On Oct 30, 3:25 pm, Faeandar wrote:
Specifically WAFL and I want to *LIMIT* the file size, not determine
the max. I use XGB because it will vary by file system (all WAFL but
many of them). But here's an example:

for vol1 I want to limit *any* file size to 35GB
for vol4 I want to limit *any* file size to 20GB

etc.

Thanks.

~F

Since you mentioned WAFL, have you looked at their FPOLICY
implementation? There are a few 3rd party software that uses this API
for various file level manipulation though I haven't seen any that
specifically does for file size but have seen some that prevent files
with certain extensions from being stored on specific qtree or volumes
for example. But I think it could be doable. NetApp may have a list of
3rd parties that use their FPOLICY API
-G