Best hardware solution for personal internet backup

Old October 5th 07, 11:53 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default Best hardware solution for personal internet backup

Hi,

I wish to create a backup solution that will backup all my home data
(nightly/incrementally) off site to my brother's home network over the
internet using broadband.

I'm assuming that I will need to connect via a VPN to join the two
networks. I will use software to capture the dynamic IP address.
Windows Backup (I know but it comes for free), and a batch file to
automatically connect (rasdial)

I would like this to be a hardware solution as not particularly
technical. It seems my options are :
1) VPN switch/router connected to 1) my brother's ASDL router and 2) a
NAS attached
2) VPN switch/router connected to 1) my brother's ASDL router and 2)
with the ability to connect to an external hard drive.

Does the above makes sense? I'm I missing anything?

Is there any cheap hardware that will provide - VPN (or another
secured connection), Hard drive - that I can simply plug into my
brothers router? If it is wireless even better (I realise the slower
speeds - but my brothers place is not large and he would like to put
the box in cupboard/attic.)

Thanks for the help

Paul

Old October 5th 07, 01:13 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Rob Turk[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have this setup for my home server. I use two Zyxel ZyWall2 VPN
switch/routers with automatic LAN connectivity through the Internet, and on
each side a Linux server which are scheduled to run rsync of the user data
to eachother each night.

Rob

Old October 17th 07, 08:56 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Doctor Detroit[_2_]

Not "hardware" but try Logmein Backup. I haven't used it but I have
been satisfied with some of their other products and it looks good on
paper.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/backup/

With it you won't need a VPN gateway or any special network
configuration for secure backups between your 2 LANs. IMHO reasonable
at $39.95/year & much simplier

If you're really against ongoing subscriptions, for a home network
look at the SnapGear SG300. It's the update to the Snapgear Lite2.
An inexpensive firewall, router, vpn appliance with full Full PPTP and
L2TP VPN client and server. It is very easy to set up with some nice
features and should handle scenario 1 well.

http://www.securecomputing.com/index.cfm?skey=1556

For scenario 2 try something like the SnapGear SG565

http://www.securecomputing.com/index.cfm?skey=1558

If you want the storage to be wireless it'll need to be a NAS either
with Wifi built-in or attached to a wireless bridge. Just make sure
there is ventilation in that cupboard or the attic doesn't get too hot
or dusty.

Hope that helps