eSATA (external SATA)

Old March 14th 07, 05:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels

Default eSATA (external SATA)

There seems to be some confusion in the NGs about eSATA.

The most prominant features of eSATA are the longer cable
length (up to 2 meters), the cable's shielding, and the plug to
accomodate the shielding. eSATA can be used with external
adapters for both desktop PCs and laptops, and external
enclosures are available that have their own power modules
and cooling fans.

Here are some links to representative info:

Silicon Image white paper on eSATA:
https://www.sata-io.org/docs/Externa...WP%2011-09.pdf

SIIG product offerrings in eSATA:
http://siig.com/productlist.asp?catid=80

SIIG PCIe/eSATA card:
http://siig.com/product.asp?catid=7&pid=1018

eSATA back panel adapter brackets:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/externa...-solutions.htm

eSATA cables:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/sata-cables-shielded.htm

eSATA external enclosures by Kingwin:
http://kingwin.com/jt35ebk.asp
http://kingwin.com/jt35eubk.asp

Use the model nos. and the usual search engines for current prices,
i.e. NexTag.com, PriceWatch.com, PriceGrabber.com,
Froogle.Google.com, etc.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 14th 07, 07:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
There seems to be some confusion in the NGs about eSATA.

Not in this group, unless you want to start it with this.
So why only posted to this group?

The most prominant features of eSATA are the longer cable
length (up to 2 meters), the cable's shielding, and the plug to
accomodate the shielding. eSATA can be used with external
adapters for both desktop PCs and laptops, and external
enclosures are available that have their own power modules
and cooling fans.

Here are some links to representative info:

Representative, my ass.

Silicon Image white paper on eSATA:
https://www.sata-io.org/docs/Externa...WP%2011-09.pdf

SIIG product offerrings in eSATA:
http://siig.com/productlist.asp?catid=80

SIIG PCIe/eSATA card:
http://siig.com/product.asp?catid=7&pid=1018

Surely there is more than SIIG.
Obviously you are spamming for SIIG.

eSATA back panel adapter brackets:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/externa...-solutions.htm

Well, those are obviously not eSATA.

eSATA cables:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/sata-cables-shielded.htm

Of which only the last one is eSATA.

eSATA external enclosures by Kingwin:

http://kingwin.com/jt35ebk.asp

Unfortunately it doesn't say whether it has an eSATA to SATA bridge or not.
"Interface: E-SATA Only" suggests that there is only an eSATA connector.
Want to point us out to eSATA diskdrives?

Old March 14th 07, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
There seems to be some confusion in the NGs about eSATA.

I had not noticed...?

Arno

Old March 15th 07, 02:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels

"Folkert Rienstra" tried his best:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
There seems to be some confusion in the NGs about eSATA.

Not in this group, unless you want to start it with this.

Q.E.D. on your confusion.

So why only posted to this group?

Because you're here, Rod.

Here are some links to representative info:

Representative, my ass.

Your ass is irrelevent, Rod.

Surely there is more than SIIG.
Obviously you are spamming for SIIG.

Very funny. Not so clever, though, Rod.

eSATA back panel adapter brackets:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/externa...-solutions.htm

Well, those are obviously not eSATA.

You have to extract your head and read the page, Rod.

eSATA cables:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/sata-cables-shielded.htm

Of which only the last one is eSATA.

Two of the three cable types involve eSATA, Rod.

eSATA external enclosures by Kingwin:

http://kingwin.com/jt35ebk.asp

Unfortunately it doesn't say whether it has an eSATA to
SATA bridge or not. "Interface: E-SATA Only" suggests
that there is only an eSATA connector.
Want to point us out to eSATA diskdrives?

You are really dumb, Rod.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 15th 07, 02:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels

"Arno Wagner" wrote:
Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
There seems to be some confusion in the NGs about eSATA.

I had not noticed...?

Look around.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 15th 07, 09:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
galapogos

eSATA external enclosures by Kingwin:http://kingwin.com/jt35ebk.asphttp:/...m/jt35eubk.asp

Use the model nos. and the usual search engines for current prices,
i.e. NexTag.com, PriceWatch.com, PriceGrabber.com,
Froogle.Google.com, etc.

*TimDaniels*

OK, I'd like to know more about eSATA so here are a few questions.

Regular USB/Firewire enclosures require a bridge chip to translate
between the interfaces. Since eSATA is native, I assume such a bridge
chip would be needed? Is the only difference the connector? In which
case the enclosure would just need a simple connection between the
eSATA and SATA connector on the host/device side. Or, are there some
other difference such as signalling level that need an IC to take care
of?

How is power usually supplied for 2.5" eSATA enclosures? I've seen
some use USB power(probably a Y cable for more current) but since an
unconfigured USB device can only draw 100mA, doesn't the enclosure
have to enumerate before it gets the full 500mA? If so wouldn't
another USB chip be needed?

Old March 16th 07, 06:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels

"galapogos" wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
[...]

According to the Silicon Image white paper on eSATA,
the differences between SATA and eSATA a

1) the cable and its connectors,
2) the higher signal levels needed to accomodate
the longer cable, and
3) the shielding and grounding requirements for the
external enclosure and the hard disk drive.

In which case the enclosure would just need a simple
connection between the eSATA and SATA connector
on the host/device side. Or, are there some other difference
such as signalling level that need an IC to take care of?

The white paper implies that with an eSATA cable of
1 meter or less, the SATA control chips should work.
The brackets listed as "SATA Internal-to-External Bracket"
should do the job in such a case:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/externa...-solutions.htm

The white paper also mentions SATA/eSATA signal level
adapters on PCI cards for cable lengths up to 2 meters.
These currently are made by SIIG and probably others.

How is power usually supplied for 2.5" eSATA enclosures?

As far as I can see, Kingwin doesn't make eSATA enclosures
for 2.5" SATA hard drives. For 3.5" SATA hard drives,
the Kingwin website lists a plug-in power "adapter", i.e.
power supply module, for its eSATA enclosures. The
eSATA enclosures for 3.5" hard drives are models:
JT-35E-BK, JT-35EU-BK, KH-350SE-BK, and the
KH-350SEU-BK.

I've seen some use USB power(probably a Y cable for more
current) but since an unconfigured USB device can only draw
100mA, doesn't the enclosure have to enumerate before it gets
the full 500mA? If so wouldn't another USB chip be needed?

I'd not use USB power for a 3.5" hard drive. I don't know
about 2.5" hard drives powered by USB. For reliability of
any external hard drive, I'd want a cooling fan and a dedicated
power supply.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 16th 07, 02:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"galapogos" wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
[...]

The white paper no good to you, huh.

Regular USB/Firewire enclosures require a bridge chip to translate
between the interfaces. Since eSATA is native, I assume such a
bridge chip would be needed? Is the only difference the connector?

According to the Silicon Image white paper on eSATA,
the differences between SATA and eSATA a

1) the cable and its connectors,

2) the higher signal levels needed to accomodate the longer cable, and

Right Timmy, so where are the drives with eSata signal drivers?

3) the shielding and grounding requirements for the
external enclosure and the hard disk drive.

In which case the enclosure would just need a simple
connection between the eSATA and SATA connector
on the host/device side. Or, are there some other difference
such as signalling level that need an IC to take care of?

The white paper implies that with an eSATA cable of
1 meter or less, the SATA control chips should work.
The brackets listed as "SATA Internal-to-External Bracket"
should do the job in such a case:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/externa...-solutions.htm

The white paper also mentions SATA/eSATA signal level adapters

on PCI cards

So Timmy, where are the drives with eSata signal drivers?

for cable lengths up to 2 meters.
These currently are made by SIIG and probably others.

How is power usually supplied for 2.5" eSATA enclosures?

As far as I can see, Kingwin doesn't make eSATA enclosures
for 2.5" SATA hard drives. For 3.5" SATA hard drives,
the Kingwin website lists a plug-in power "adapter", i.e.
power supply module, for its eSATA enclosures.
The eSATA enclosures for 3.5" hard drives are models:

JT-35E-BK, JT-35EU-BK, KH-350SE-BK, and the
KH-350SEU-BK.

So Timmy, does it pay well to be a Kingwin shill?

I've seen some use USB power(probably a Y cable for more
current) but since an unconfigured USB device can only draw
100mA, doesn't the enclosure have to enumerate before it gets
the full 500mA? If so wouldn't another USB chip be needed?

I'd not use USB power for a 3.5" hard drive.

No kidding: Like you could.

I don't know about 2.5" hard drives powered by USB.

There isn't much that you really know, is there, Timmy.
Just some pretend loudmouth showoff kiddy.

Old March 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels

"Folkert Rienstra" , aks Rod Speed, croaked:
Right Timmy, so where are the drives with eSata signal drivers?

So who needs 'em? You're too hung up on specs and
published standards to move your bowels without a manual,
Rod.

*TimDaniels*