Mixing CCC v6.7 with Cat. 6.6 Drivers

Old August 18th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Default Mixing CCC v6.7 with Cat. 6.6 Drivers

Has anyone tried mixing the v6.7 CCC interface with v6.6 drivers? Does it
work?

Old August 18th 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"First of One" wrote in message
Has anyone tried mixing the v6.7 CCC interface with v6.6 drivers? Does it
work?

I'm mixing 6.7 CCC with 6.6 "Chuck" drivers atm.... no problems at all.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Old August 19th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Thanks. Since ATi won't be releasing another Chuck driver until the
functionality is integrated into the regular drivers, it's good to be able
to use newer CCC releases (for interface bug fixes).

Old August 19th 06, 02:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"First of One" wrote in message
Thanks. Since ATi won't be releasing another Chuck driver until the
functionality is integrated into the regular drivers, it's good to be able
to use newer CCC releases (for interface bug fixes).

My feelings exactly

On another note... 6.8 is out!! About to try it out as is, and then I'll
install chuck on top of it when I need it next. *fingers crossed*

Was hoping they'd incorporate chuck HDR magic into 6.8 but doesn't look like
it

Old August 19th 06, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in message
On another note... 6.8 is out!! About to try it out as is, and then I'll
install chuck on top of it when I need it next. *fingers crossed*

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work, or maybe I'm
misunderstanding you. The "Chuck" driver isn't a patch, it's a full
standalone driver release sans the CCC. Installing it on top of a 6.8
installation carries the same ramifications as installing new drivers
without removing the old ones first. In this case it may even be worse
because you are downgrading the driver.

Was hoping they'd incorporate chuck HDR magic into 6.8 but doesn't look
like it

October was the estimated cut-in time for the Chuck features, the last time
I heard. Cat 6.8 did remove a subzero temp-reading bug, though. Consider it
a gift from hell for all users with phase-change or TEC cooling.

Old August 19th 06, 03:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"First of One" wrote in message
"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in message
On another note... 6.8 is out!! About to try it out as is, and then I'll
install chuck on top of it when I need it next. *fingers crossed*

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work, or maybe I'm
misunderstanding you. The "Chuck" driver isn't a patch, it's a full
standalone driver release sans the CCC. Installing it on top of a 6.8
installation carries the same ramifications as installing new drivers
without removing the old ones first. In this case it may even be worse
because you are downgrading the driver.

Nope, you did not misunderstand me. I am in fact doing the most unholy of
unholies - Installing the "Chuck" driver on top of a working 6.7 full driver
and CCC install. I understand that the "Chuck" release is not a patch but a
complete driver set, minus the CCC. Historically, I've always done complete
driver and CCC uninstalls and post driver cleaner removal prior to
installing a new Cat release. I've decided as of Cat 6.7 to *try* the less
clean route, and just put some faith into ATI driver cross version
compatibility. So far so good, but that doesn't mean I won't run into
complications. If I do, I'll revert back to the tried and true, pristine and
clean uninstall then install fresh process. I'm giving this a shot since
many people have attested that they always install on top the previous
release and never have problems. We'll see...

Was hoping they'd incorporate chuck HDR magic into 6.8 but doesn't look
like it

October was the estimated cut-in time for the Chuck features, the last
time I heard. Cat 6.8 did remove a subzero temp-reading bug, though.
Consider it a gift from hell for all users with phase-change or TEC
cooling.

So we are looking a Cat 6.10 or maybe 6.11 for full Chuck functionality in
the standard driver.